5/25 game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

5/25 game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

How wrong does it seem that Nova finishes this game with 4 ER?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/25 game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Nova's line should have been better, but a win is a win. Great seeing the bats explode again.

Raise it!
SammyKhalifa

5/25 game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

272C24282D2C377274033A222B2C2C6D202C430 wrote: Nova's line should have been better, but a win is a win.  Great seeing the bats explode again.

Raise it!

No, I agree. He was pitching exactly as you should when you have a big lead. Statswise, though, it's as if he was being punished for pitching late into the game.

Oh well. Nice to see all of the offense the past two games. (yeah, I know, really the last 1 game two innings, haha)
iabucco

5/25 game

Post by iabucco »

The thing I like about Nova is that he kind of always pitches like he has a big lead: throw a lot of strikes, work fast and make people hit the ball.

DemDog

5/25 game

Post by DemDog »

2421262028223B262F3C3A374E0 wrote: Nova's resigning was a good one.  He continues to pitch well.  If he played for a better team, he would be in the conversation for the Cy Young Award at this stage IMO.

A few guys having big series against the Braves - Frazier and Mercer for certain.

As for Colon, he needs to be put out to pasture and shot.  He is done.  Funny thing, I saw his Kinston Indians debut in an exhibition game when I was worked for East Carolina University.  That was a while ago.

Geez you must be nearly as old as Possum.   ;D

Watch the age jokes you whipper snapper! ;)
DemDog

5/25 game

Post by DemDog »

6661777F7166212D547379757D783A777B79140 wrote: Good game for sure.  I don't know how many balls were hit to the outfield.  I did see Harrison's great catch. 

I don't want Osuna over Polanco, Marte or McCutchen.

Short term.  Meadows is the future. 

All I'm saying is that a game like this makes ms realize that our OF has not been anything special since 2015.  They're probably overvalued. Trade 'em for a king's ransom in quality pitchers and a couple bats.

Move the Pirates WS championship to 2019 and an extended period of true excellence.

And i've changed my mind - keep Harrison.  He would be moved only because of $$$, but the payroll is going to be reduced significantly so they can afford him.  JHay is as valuable in the club house as he is on the field.  Let he and Cerville create the culture for this team. 

Yep about JHay as being very valuable in the clubhouse and it is spelled Cervelli. JHay may not be the best player around or even on the team but his fire and desire are the best. This guy never quits no matter the situation. He is a great example for the young guys as to how the game is played.
SteadyFreddy

5/25 game

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Should have won 3 out 4 this series but the idiots in Atlanta had to wait out a 3 hour plus rain delay when it was an official game with the Pirates winning.
UtahPirate

5/25 game

Post by UtahPirate »

3A3D2B232D3A7D71082F25292124662B2725480 wrote: Crazy - I like this lineup.  I like this outfield better than any that's been on the field this season.  I like Gift at 2nd. I like the idea of trading "the best OF in baseball", reaping the harvest, and letting these young guys develop AND play with heart. 

Cutch's value is dropping like his average. Who knows what we might get at the deadline.

Braves came in winners of 7 of 10 -- and the first two games made it 9 out of 12. Really glad we pulled that late win last night and got the split today. The Braves did not look like the group they've been putting on the field the last several years. Mets struggling and going the opposite direction of the Braves. Let's keep that slide going for them.
MaineBucs

5/25 game

Post by MaineBucs »

A couple of comments.

The Best Outfield in Baseball. Overall, I concur with VA Pirate; let's see what return they could generate in a trade.

Cutch. I had hoped the Bucs could move McCutchen last off-season for something of value. They didn't or couldn't. Unless Cutch suddenly rebounds, I doubt he has much value at any point this season. If they could trade him for an okay prospect, any level, then do the deal, and save some money. If they can't get at least some return, it may be just as well to ride out the year with him, and then to move on in the off-season and receive nothing back (expect some really great years and memories).

Polanco. If someone would offer real value for him, I would do the deal. His salary and potential could be attractive to other teams, but I believe he needs to start to show some power for folks to be willing to pay If there is no value offered, I likely ride out the year with him as well and hope that he picks it up and creates an opportunity for the team to explore trade opportunities this off-season.

Marte has had a much better pedigree Polanco, but I believe his drug suspension could hurt in the short-term. Clearly other suspended athletes have received big time contracts, but folks may be hesitant to deal for him when there is so little time to evaluate him this year.

Looking down the road, an outfield of Frazier, Meadows and perhaps another young player obtained through a trade could become the 'Real' outfield of the future.

Nova. WOW!

NH did very well to acquire him from the Yankees for little, and then to sign him to a very (read extremely) favorable free agent contract this off-season.

Few pitchers now regularly go the distance. In less than 1 full season with the Bucs Nova already has 5 complete games. I did a quite check, and in the last 10 years the Bucs have had the following number of complete games:

2017 - 2 (both by Nova)

2016 - 5 (3 by Nova)

2015 - None

2014 - 2

2013 - 3

2012 - 2

2011 - 5

2010 - 1

2009 - 5

2008 - 3

2007 - 4

In short, Nova alone has had more complete game's in less than 1 complete season than the entire pitching staff has had in any single year, and he has had over 15% of the complete games that the entire team has had in the last 10+ years.

I don't know why other teams didn't show more interest in him (read offer him a multi-year contract) when he signed for 3 years at less than $30 mil and some very mediocre middle/late inning relievers received 3 year deals in the $15 - $24 mil range.

This Pirate team has a lot of problems, but Nova is not one of them.

The future

I doubt any of us need to done shades to try and avoid too many bright lights in the future, but it appears that this team is developing some nice pieces to build on.

I expected little out of Frazier, but he looks like a good lead-off man; something that this team has been lacking. I prefer him as an outfielder rather than an infielder.

Bell looks like he will develop power and that he is a good student of hitting. I particularly like that he can turn on a pitch on his hands.

Tallion appears to have the intelligence and drive to succeed. Get well soon James and come on back to help.

It appears that at least one and perhaps even 2 pitchers may emerge out of Glasnow, Kuhl and Williams.

Rivero looks like a beast.

Nova, as mentioned before, could be a good anchor for the rotation moving forward. Nothing flashy, but a plus pitcher.

Harrison is performing better than I believe anyone could have hoped.

And Meadows, Kramer and others could soon be good reinforcements from the minors.

Lastly

It feels a lot better ending the Atlanta series 2 - 2 after losing the first 2. Team still likely can't compete for much, but hey, its baseball, and stranger things have happened.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/25 game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think it depends on who is traded. Trading someone like Cole, Cervelli, and Marte will make it a bigger and longer rebuilding process. It will take time to replace those guys.

If they go, then the others like Nova, Harrison, and Freese should go too. They won't be of any use or with the team once they are good or the rebuilding is complete.

If just Watson and McCutchen are traded, then I would think a reload is happening. They can bring in some bullpen arms and either have Meadows next year or someone like Frazier to step in.

I am watching what happens with Cole. He is the biggest trading chip. Will he be used to bring in talent or kept to anchor the staff?