Cutch Hitting .211

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I truly feel bad for Cutch. He's gotta be embarrassed.

The substitution of an MVP CFer with a low level AAA player is staggering. To complicate the matter, the FO has to manage him with the respect of a "star" not some AAAA journey-man. Can't just move him to the 7 or 8 hole. Very complicated situation.
Bobster21

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Bobster21 »

4E495F57594E09057C5B515D5550125F53513C0 wrote: I truly feel bad for Cutch.  He's gotta be embarrassed. 

The substitution of an MVP CFer with a low level AAA player is staggering.  To complicate the matter, the FO has to manage him with the respect of a "star" not some AAAA journey-man. Can't just move him to the 7 or 8 hole.   Very complicated situation.
I would certainly move him. For his good and the good of the team. Maybe it would take some pressure off if he didn't feel like he was letting his teammates down as the #3 bat, of which a great deal is expected. If he starts hitting again, then move him up. If he doesn't start hitting there's nothing he can say and the move would look correct to all.
notes34

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by notes34 »

0B262B3A3D2C3B7B78490 wrote: I truly feel bad for Cutch.  He's gotta be embarrassed. 

The substitution of an MVP CFer with a low level AAA player is staggering.  To complicate the matter, the FO has to manage him with the respect of a "star" not some AAAA journey-man. Can't just move him to the 7 or 8 hole.   Very complicated situation.
I would certainly move him. For his good and the good of the team. Maybe it would take some pressure off if he didn't feel like he was letting his teammates down as the #3 bat, of which a great deal is expected. If he starts hitting again, then move him up. If he doesn't start hitting there's nothing he can say and the move would look correct to all. 

Yes I would move him to 6. I will stand by the metrics that he "was" hitting the ball hard and getting poor results. Recently (in the last handful of games) he has looked really bad. I feel for him. I really think the bad results were getting to him and he is now pressing more than ever. He needs a breather, but unfortunately with Marte gone that won't happen. In the 6 spot he can relax a little.

Frazier

Harrison

Bell

Freese

Cervelli

Cutch

Jaso

Mercer
BenM

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by BenM »

323E3F646D646C61667963540 wrote: I know Cutch has never hit a grand slam home run, but during the past two years he has been awful whenever the bases are loaded.  I am not sure if there is a stat indicating a players average whenever he bats with the bases loaded, but I am sure Cutch's average the past two years in those situations is about.150 or less.

Baseball Reference has all sorts of splits. Last season, 14 AB 9 RBI .286/.375/.661. All of his hits were singles.

This season, 7 AB 4 RBI one hit, grounded in to two double plays.
ScottinMass

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by ScottinMass »

6562747C7265222E57707A767E7B3974787A170 wrote: I truly feel bad for Cutch.  He's gotta be embarrassed. 

Not to mention that without Marte and Polanco, the Pirates don't have a CF'er. If only there was someone in AAA who could play CF and has the potential to have a good bat....By the way, I would bring Meadows up and move McCutchen back to RF. If he doesn't hit (or isn't productive), send him back to AAA when Polanco comes back. Other teams do this with there best prospects, the Pirates don't and I don't understand why. Neither Osuna or Ortiz should be taking ML AB's while Meadows does not.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Meadows is a .226 hitter in Triple A. He shouldn't be rushed because others are failing. There is no reason to start his clock and lose a year of control for 40 some games. His sixth year is more important than his 40 plus games as a rookie.

Most teams save that year of control. Especially, if the big league team isn't winning.
Bobster21

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Bobster21 »

48434B474243581D1B6C554D444343024F432C0 wrote: Meadows is a .226 hitter in Triple A.  He shouldn't be rushed because others are failing.  There is no reason to start his clock and lose a year of control for 40 some games.  His sixth year is more important than his 40 plus games as a rookie.

Most teams save that year of control.  Especially, if the big league team isn't winning.
I agree. But you had me at Meadows is a .226 hitter in Triple A. If he's not even hitting AAA pitching, well...
MaineBucs

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by MaineBucs »

I know its not quite yet June 1st, and that there is still time for a player to turn it around, but McCutchen looks terrible. Pulling way too many pitches, whiffing on pitches he used to crush, and now taking many bad routes on balls to the outfield, while still having the same candy arm that he has always had.

I advocated trading McCutchen this off-season and had really hoped that the team would move him for a respectful return and then move on with the 2017 season.

Like others, I feel bad for McCutchen. He has been an elite player and is more responsible for the turn-around of the Pirates than any other player. That said, at his current level of play, no one will offer any return for him at the trade deadline, the Pirates will buy out his $1 mil option at the end of the year, and he will be on the free agent market with little likelihood of anyone wanting to offer any real pay for his services.

Continuing, in looking forward I could see the following:

1) Cutch is a free agent this off-season. No one reaches out to offer him a 'good' contract. He remains unsigned until late into the off-season and then must decide if he is willing to sign a 1 year deal for little 'real' money to try and rebuild his value.

2) If Cutch continues to tank, he could be out of baseball by the 2019 season.

3) Cutch accepts a contract from Japan to earn some cash and to try and rebuild his value.

I doubt Cutch ever thought he would be where he is today as a ballplayer at his age 30 season. I know he is a man of faith, but, I've got to believe that his confidence is shot as he can no longer simply play his way out of a minor slump. I wish it was different, but I gravely fear that Cutch's days as even a mediocre ballplayer are gone.

Lastly, if Cutch were on another team, would you feel good if the Pirates suddenly went out and acquired him? If not, it's time to try and move on.

And, looking a bi
Ecbucs

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by Ecbucs »

79555D5A5176415747340 wrote: I know its not quite yet June 1st, and that there is still time for a player to turn it around, but McCutchen looks terrible.  Pulling way too many pitches, whiffing on pitches he used to crush, and now taking many bad routes on balls to the outfield, while still having the same candy arm that he has always had.

I advocated trading McCutchen this off-season and had really hoped that the team would move him for a respectful return and then move on with the 2017 season. 

Like others, I feel bad for McCutchen.  He has been an elite player and is more responsible for the turn-around of the Pirates than any other player.  That said, at his current level of play, no one will offer any return for him at the trade deadline, the Pirates will buy out his $1 mil option at the end of the year, and he will be on the free agent market with little likelihood of anyone wanting to offer any real pay for his services. 

Continuing, in looking forward I could see the following:

1)  Cutch is a free agent this off-season.  No one reaches out to offer him a 'good' contract.  He remains unsigned until late into the off-season and then must decide if he is willing to sign a 1 year deal for little 'real' money to try and rebuild his value. 

2)  If Cutch continues to tank, he could be out of baseball by the 2019 season. 

3)  Cutch accepts a contract from Japan to earn some cash and to try and rebuild his value. 

I doubt Cutch ever thought he would be where he is today as a ballplayer at his age 30 season.  I know he is a man of faith, but, I've got to believe that his confidence is shot as he can no longer simply play his way out of a minor slump.  I wish it was different, but I gravely fear that Cutch's days as even a mediocre ballplayer are gone. 

Lastly, if Cutch were on another team, would you feel good if the Pirates suddenly went out and acquired him?  If not, it's time to try and move on.      

And, looking a bi   

yeah, I think he has a month at most to turn things around, otherwise he will be a free agent and looking at a make good type of contract.
johnfluharty

Cutch Hitting .211

Post by johnfluharty »

Anyone else see the quick TV interview with Cutch about his struggles?  If so please jump in if you feel I mischaracterize him.

He said he was not losing sleep over his struggles, that their were more important things in life.  He also said he was doing his best.

To me, he seemed too comfortable with the whole situation.  I wonder if his problem is that he doesn't have the fire- the drive- any more.  A lot of guys get to this level because they are almost obsessed with the game.  To borrow from Andy Barkett, Cutch is not playing "with his hair on fire".  He seems way too relaxed and may have just lost his edge.  If this is the case, I am ready to move on from him- not because I disagree with him (my family is more important than my job too) but because I do not think he will turn things around.