6/25/17-Putting the Cards in the Rear-View Mirror

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I'd love to see them release Watson when they recall Bastardo.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

11090B0C0C1B0A0D101107620 wrote: It appears to me this team needs to quit running out the likes of Watson, Hudson, LeBlanc, and replace them with some younger guys from the farm teams.  They can't do any worse and this needs to happen sooner than later.  NH has made some of the worse acquisitions bordering on Little brains the last 2 years.  At least DL did draft Cutch, NH hasn't even come close to that.  I'm tired of this FO ready to start over.

I agree. If they bring in Santana and he blows the lead, I am not going to be nearly as upset with him because I know he needs some time to adapt. Same for Neverauskas if they bring him up.
mouse

Post by mouse »

This team seems to be really slow to make changes. It was clear early on that Glasnow had issues, but it took forever to make the change. More so even with Watson as closer. Not sure why that is, but they seem to give more time than reasonable for someone to work things out.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6C6E747264010 wrote: This team seems to be really slow to make changes. It was clear early on that Glasnow had issues, but it took forever to make the change. More so even with Watson as closer. Not sure why that is, but they seem to give more time than reasonable for someone to work things out.
That's why I have said this team is not being run like a team trying to win something. The FO did little over the winter other than keeping Nova. They did nothing when Kang was lost. They did nothing when Marte was lost. They did nothing when they were down to 2 outfielders on the roster. They handed the 5th starter job to Glasnow despite an awful spring. They just kept using Watson as an ineffective closer. Hurddle loses games while resting key players who have recently rested. Hurdle uses players as if some games are tryouts. They prefer to win but neither NH nor Hurdle does things to enhance the chances of winning. So much so that it often looks like they just don't care. Despite whatever spin they put on it for obvious PR reasons, I firmly believe NH and Hurdle are in step with the notion that this season is a write off and they'll try to put something together next year.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

On today's off day I would:

1. Promote Brault to the rotation. He's earned a shot.

2. Move Kuhl to the bullpen. I really like his arm.

3. Name Diaz the everyday catcher

None of that will happen.

On another note, I thought Nicasio deserved much better last night in the 7th. He could have struck out the first batter on the check-swing, he did strike out the 2nd batter (in my opinion) but didn't get the call, and he struck out the 3rd batter. He had good stuff. Could have easily been a 1-2-3 inning. Got no breaks. Also bad luck on the slow roller to Mercer.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Infield In blew the game to me. I would love to see some stats on this strategic move. I know every team does it, but I have no idea why.

If Mercer was a few steps back, he probably saves two runs.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Couldn't watch the second half of the game last night, but looks like another bullpen meltdown...maybe left Kuhl in a bit too long...don't know, like I said, didn't see it.  Regardless, here are my thoughts.

1.  We are a good bullpen away from being in first place.  If you think back to 13-15, one of the big reasons we won was because of a shutdown bullpen.  If we had the lead after the sixth inning, the fat lady had already sung.  Some combination of Wilson-Hughes-Caminero-Feliz-Watson-Melancon-Grilli and a few others was pretty much automatic.  Now, not so much.  This is surprising to me for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that if NH has shown a propensity for anything in his time as GM, it's that he can put a very good bullpen together.  If this can get fixed, I think we can stay in the NL Central race all year.

2.  Regardless of whoever else gets moved at the trade deadline, the Pirates are probably going to get the best player at the deadline in Marte.  I for one don't think post-PED-Marte will have a huge drop-off from PED-Marte.  Just speculation on my part, but given that he had never had a positive test before, and the particular drug that was found in his system was one that remains for quite some time, I wonder if it wasn't something he look last year to heal from the late season injury that kept him out the last month or so of the season.  Again, just speculating.  Regardless, Marte is an impact player who will drastically improve our outfield defense and lengthen our lineup.

3.  Even with all that has gone wrong this year (Kang DUI and visa issues, Marte PED use, Taillon cancer, McCutchen being below replacement level for the first two months, Frazier and Freeze injuries, Cervelli's repeated DL trips, the abysmal defense that would make a little league team run laps), even with all that, we are somehow still in the midst of a pennant race. 

4.  Like someone else said, Diaz is my catcher.

5.  Like someone else said, I insert Brault into the rotation.

6.  Like someone else said, I tell Chad Kuhl he's the long man, and not as some kind of punishment like Ryan Vogelsong was the long man at one time.  Rather, if I'm Hurdle, I tell Kuhl that he's the primary guy I'm going to to give me two innings and get the ball to Rivero.  It's sad that Watson has regressed so much, but he's just not the same guy he was two years ago.

Record aside, we are five out with just over half the year to go.  McCutchen is back to MVP level.  Cole looks to be back to being good Cole.  Taillon looks healthy.  Marte is coming back.  If we were 46-30, chasing a Brewers team that was 51-25, we'd all be on board.  Even though no one in the Central deserves to be in the playoffs, someone is going to get in.  Five games out is five games out.  And, given that with even a modicum of a decent bullpen we'd probably be in first place right now, I like our chances.  Remember, the Cards snuck into the playoffs one year and won a World Series.  Once you get to October, everybody has a shot, unlike other sports **cough, cough*** NBA I'm looking at you ***cough, cough***.

Get in and see what happens.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Bob Prince used to say the infield in raises the batter's average one hundred points. The only time I can see it being useful is with the winning run on third in the bottom of the ninth (etc). You are gambling everything on the hope the ball is hit right at someone. If that doesn't happen, you really open the door to a big inning . . . which is why it only makes sense if the game is over if the run scores.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7072686E781D0 wrote: Bob Prince used to say the infield in raises the batter's average one hundred points. The only time I can see it being useful is with the winning run on third in the bottom of the ninth (etc). You are gambling everything on the hope the ball is hit right at someone. If that doesn't happen, you really open the door to a big inning . . . which is why it only makes sense if the game is over if the run scores.

Yes. You are right. That is the only situation I would bring in the infield. Only.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

303B333F3A3B206563142D353C3B3B7A373B540 wrote: Infield In blew the game to me.  I would love to see some stats on this strategic move.  I know every team does it, but I have no idea why.

If Mercer was a few steps back, he probably saves two runs. 

IMO, he should have made the play anyway, but without infield in, it certainly would have been a lot easier.