Quintana to the Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by OrlandoMerced »

4B7975756153707974717E79180 wrote: Just trying to get an idea of what we could reasonably expect

I would look for potential matches first. Indians and Rockies could also be potential matches.
MaineBucs

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by MaineBucs »

I hate the fact that Quintana is now a Cub. When I was writing a post the other day about the Bucs 'going all in' if they miraculously win 5 of the next 7, Quintana was one of the potential pieces I thought that the Bucs should consider. Moving from the AL to the NL will be good for him, being a lefty is always of value to help balance a rotation, and he is durable; think of Nova but with more talent.

That said, now that Quintana is off the market, and his trade has helped to better frame the market (what is a good pitcher worth), perhaps teams like the Yankees will be more willing to offer real talent to acquire a pitcher like Cole.

Continuing, while the Sox did not talent in return, A level talent is more unpredictable than players who have AA or AAA experience. Looks like the Sox are in the full rebuild mode. If the Bucs do trade Cole, I would prefer that at least one of the prospects be closer to the majors.
mouse

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by mouse »

Does this start an arms race in the Central? Now that the Cubs have made a move, will the Cards and Brewers be inclined to do the same? I don't see the Pirates doing that, unless they get a really good offer for Cutch or Harrison.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

34362C2A3C590 wrote: Does this start an arms race in the Central? Now that the Cubs have made a move, will the Cards and Brewers be inclined to do the same? I don't see the Pirates doing that, unless they get a really good offer for Cutch or Harrison.

The Brewers traded for Tyler Webb from the Yankees. Webb was the Pirates Rule 5 Pick that was offered back to the Yankees.
BucsFaninGA

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Bucs should have kept Webb in my opinion!

Beat'em Bucs!!!
Bobster21

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

0037213104232C2B2C0503420 wrote: Bucs should have kept Webb in my opinion!

Beat'em Bucs!!! 
I agree. I think the decision to keep both Williams and LeBlanc (a 4th LHP) doomed Webb. It was obvious even in ST that Glasnow was going to be problematic and Kuhl was also a question mark. So they wanted to have extra multi-inning relievers. I think if they hadn't anticipated needing the pen to cover so many innings, Webb would have been kept.
rucker59@gmail.com

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

A bad day for the Pirates.  Cubs get better for this year and the future and one top-end pitcher the Pirates could have added payroll-wise gets away.  Frankly, THIS was the move the Pirates had to make. 

If nothing else, the Pirates needed to work out a three way deal swapping Cole for Q.  Or maybe moving Meadows and Miller KELLER ::) for Q and then trading Cole for prospects.

Or how about this: trade for Q, keep Cole through the 2018 season, and make a run for the division this year and the WS next year?  Trade Cole and/or Q after 2018 to restock. 

A golden opportunity was allowed to move a couple blocks up the lake to the Cubs. The Pirates could have changed a lot of things if they acquired Q, instead they again watch other teams try to win a championship. 
notes34

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by notes34 »

2B2C3A323C2B6C60193E34383035773A3634590 wrote: A bad day for the Pirates.  Cubs get better for this year and the future and one top-end pitcher the Pirates could have added payroll-wise gets away.  Frankly, THIS was the move the Pirates had to make. 

If nothing else, the Pirates needed to work out a three way deal swapping Cole for Q.  Or maybe moving Meadows and Miller KELLER  ::) for Q and then trading Cole for prospects.

Or how about this: trade for Q, keep Cole through the 2018 season, and make a run for the division this year and the WS next year?  Trade Cole and/or Q after 2018 to restock. 

A golden opportunity was allowed to move a couple blocks up the lake to the Cubs. The Pirates could have changed a lot of things if they acquired Q, instead they again watch other teams try to win a championship. 
I agree I would've trade Meadows and Keller for Quintana in never looked back.
rucker59@gmail.com

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

626378697F3F380C0 wrote: A bad day for the Pirates.  Cubs get better for this year and the future and one top-end pitcher the Pirates could have added payroll-wise gets away.  Frankly, THIS was the move the Pirates had to make. 

If nothing else, the Pirates needed to work out a three way deal swapping Cole for Q.  Or maybe moving Meadows and Miller KELLER  ::) for Q and then trading Cole for prospects.

I agree I would've trade Meadows and Keller for Quintana in never looked back.

Right. Because of the contracts that are involved, this is the one deal that makes (made) so much sense - they could afford Quintana's contract, and there will still be a ton of value in Cole and Q after the 2018 OR even 2019 season to flip and return prospects.

Let's see if we can start this day over and maybe Neal will rethink this.
SammyKhalifa

Quintana to the Cubs

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Seems pertinent.

"Yankees RHP Michael Pineda has partial tear of UCL. Recommendation is Tommy John Surgery, but Pineda is seeking Second Opinion."