Serpico is back!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Serpico is back!

Post by IABucFan »

343D35242A500 wrote: He's not a ML ball player, which is exactly what his trajectory pointed to when he couldn't field at 3b or 1b.  He doesn't have the bat for DH.  He can't play anywhere on the field and make up for his glove.   

He's unable to play 1b passably after years of trying.  It's crazy.   

I'm sure he's very athletic though and has an AWESOME work ethic!  Just like I always heard about.  Because playing 1b passably is one tough thing to do! 

That's a career, Pedro.   Congrats

For as much as he is lambasted, he's led the NL in homers, been an NL All-Star, a first round draft pick, hit three playoff homers, won a Silver Slugger, and competed in the home run derby. There are very few people in history who can claim that. Yes, he never amounted to what Pirates fans hoped when they were staying up till all hours of the morning seeing if the team signed him prior to the deadline or if Boras had somehow managed to swindle him away. But, Pedro had a nice career, and should be set for life financially if he was wise when he signed, and I suspect he was, as he went to arguably the best high school/prep school in the country and to Vanderbilt, which is not exactly known for accepting every dummy on the street.

I agree with you...Pedro Alvarez has no future in MLB, certainly not in the NL anyway. Maybe some team will take a flyer on him to DH again. But, I doubt it. Regardless, I don't think anyone can call him a bust. Lost of guys never even make it to the majors. He not only got a cup of coffee, but had a nice, if unspectacular, career.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Serpico is back!

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Rodriguez seems happy to be back. At least he's saying all the right things. I wonder if Pittsburgh is a top organization to play for or at least heading that way. A.J. Burnett said the same things too and came back as well.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Serpico is back!

Walk off for Rodriguez in his first game back.

Wow.
Bobster21

Serpico is back!

Post by Bobster21 »

Amazing!
UtahPirate

Serpico is back!

Post by UtahPirate »

Pretty cool! Good story right now.
INbuc

Serpico is back!

Post by INbuc »

My first post. One of the highlights of the year. Thrilled to have Sean back. With Kang out I have often wondered where we might be in the standings had Sean been here all year.
Ecbucs

Serpico is back!

Post by Ecbucs »

what a win. Very glad for Serpico and for Rivero that his blip didn't cost them the game.
SteadyFreddy

Serpico is back!

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Moments like this today are what makes baseball such a great game. Who knows maybe this lights a fire under this team and they can start another streak of wins like they did a few weeks ago. They have already won 3 of their last 4 games and gain a game on the Cubs and are now 4.5 games back.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Serpico is back!

I didn't know Rodriguez was this well liked. He got a standing ovation, so many signs, and the camera was on him all game.

He was not liked in 2015 as he was terrible. His 2016 really changed his image. Kind of crazy that he hit the game winner. Maybe he can be that spark? I'd take any spark at this point.
Bobster21

Serpico is back!

Post by Bobster21 »

183F2E2A2F320D392E2F2F324B0 wrote: Moments like this today are what makes baseball such a great game. Who knows maybe this lights a fire under this team and they can start another streak of wins like they did a few weeks ago. They have already won 3 of their last 4 games and gain a game on the Cubs and are now 4.5 games back.
I noted a few days ago that this team lacks passion and energy. But you could see the excitement of his teammates as he rounded the bases. Maybe this will indeed light a fire under them. The video of him being welcomed warmly in the clubhouse before the game was great. We always talk about how certain players effect fans (for good or bad) but we don't often realize what they mean to each other. Seeing those hugs as he entered the clubhouse before the game was very touching. Those players were truly excited (and maybe even relieved) to have him back and he ended the day with quite an exclamation point!