8-10 game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

8-10 game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5854550E070E060B0C13093E0 wrote: Sean Rodriguez is bordering on being an elite utility player.   I don't know if it's possible to be labeled "Elite" as a utility man, but the guy is as good an insurance policy as you could have in baseball.

Hard to believe that he's able to play so many positions very well, and some guys can't even play first base.

It was a very good trade to get that guy back.  Yeah, I don't want him starting at 3b next year everyday but he's a very valuable player to have
I totally agree with you about SRod. I think he has brought a spark back to this team. He is a player I would pencil into the lineup in the majority of the remaining games. I like his bat in the lineup,and his defense wherever he plays is exceptional.

Is there a 10th Man Award in baseball like basketball has a 6th Man Award? Rodriguez could win it.
Bobster21

8-10 game

Post by Bobster21 »

Today was another example of why I hate the save rule. It's still the only stat that dictates how a manager uses his players. Today, Rivero entered with 1 out, runners in 1B and 2B, and a 4-run lead (7-3). He allowed both inherited runners to score and put an additional runner on base. But because he didn't totally blow the game, he gets a much coveted "save." I think Rivero is an elite reliever among the very best in the game. But this game was nothing to write home about. But it will be included in his all time total of saves, as if each one was something special. Fans drool all over saves and they're just too easy to get.
PMike

8-10 game

Post by PMike »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote: Today was another example of why I hate the save rule. It's still the only stat that dictates how a manager uses his players. Today, Rivero entered with 1 out, runners in 1B and 2B, and a 4-run lead (7-3). He allowed both inherited runners to score and put an additional runner on base. But because he didn't totally blow the game, he gets a much coveted "save." I think Rivero is an elite reliever among the very best in the game. But this game was nothing to write home about. But it will be included in his all time total of saves, as if each one was something special. Fans drool all over saves and they're just too easy to get.

Agree 100%. Plus, Nicasio got a raw deal. If that were any other time in the game, he would have been allowed to continue the inning and work himself out of his own mess. Instead, he had to walk away leaving those two guys on base simply for a stat for someone else. As you mentioned, he got screwed when Rivero let his two runners score.
PMike

8-10 game

Post by PMike »

5A56570C050C04090E110B3C0 wrote: Sean Rodriguez is bordering on being an elite utility player.   I don't know if it's possible to be labeled "Elite" as a utility man, but the guy is as good an insurance policy as you could have in baseball.

Hard to believe that he's able to play so many positions very well, and some guys can't even play first base.

It was a very good trade to get that guy back.  Yeah, I don't want him starting at 3b next year everyday but he's a very valuable player to have
I totally agree with you about SRod. I think he has brought a spark back to this team. He is a player I would pencil into the lineup in the majority of the remaining games. I like his bat in the lineup,and his defense wherever he plays is exceptional.

I will admit, when they acquired him, I really thought it was a chemistry move. He clearly was a really positive clubhouse/dugout guy over the last few years. He was in the middle of everything, including sticking up for teammates on the field. First to fight. I thought his acquisition was all about getting team dynamics more positive. His production on the field has been awesome so far!
dave3BA

8-10 game

Post by dave3BA »

060F071618620 wrote: Sean Rodriguez is bordering on being an elite utility player.   I don't know if it's possible to be labeled "Elite" as a utility man, but the guy is as good an insurance policy as you could have in baseball.

I agree with everything you said here. Trades like this are the reason why it's foolish to wring hands over the July 31st deadline inactivity. The real deadline is 8/31, not 7/31.
BenM

8-10 game

Post by BenM »

7D505D4C4B5A4D0D0E3F0 wrote: Today was another example of why I hate the save rule. It's still the only stat that dictates how a manager uses his players. Today, Rivero entered with 1 out, runners in 1B and 2B, and a 4-run lead (7-3). He allowed both inherited runners to score and put an additional runner on base. But because he didn't totally blow the game, he gets a much coveted "save." I think Rivero is an elite reliever among the very best in the game. But this game was nothing to write home about. But it will be included in his all time total of saves, as if each one was something special. Fans drool all over saves and they're just too easy to get.

Nate Silver at 538 just wrote about this. Baseball Is Finally Realizing That The Save Is Dumb

Although it hasn’t been quite as dramatic as, say, the widespread adaptation of the defensive shift in baseball, there’s at least some evidence of teams using their best relief pitchers in smarter ways — using them in the highest-leverage situations, regardless of whether or not a save is on the line.

Rivero ranks third in their new stat "goose egg".
Bobster21

8-10 game

Post by Bobster21 »

23040F2C610 wrote: Today was another example of why I hate the save rule. It's still the only stat that dictates how a manager uses his players. Today, Rivero entered with 1 out, runners in 1B and 2B, and a 4-run lead (7-3). He allowed both inherited runners to score and put an additional runner on base. But because he didn't totally blow the game, he gets a much coveted "save." I think Rivero is an elite reliever among the very best in the game. But this game was nothing to write home about. But it will be included in his all time total of saves, as if each one was something special. Fans drool all over saves and they're just too easy to get.

Nate Silver at 538 just wrote about this. Baseball Is Finally Realizing That The Save Is Dumb

Although it hasn’t been quite as dramatic as, say, the widespread adaptation of the defensive shift in baseball, there’s at least some evidence of teams using their best relief pitchers in smarter ways — using them in the highest-leverage situations, regardless of whether or not a save is on the line.

Yeah, that "goose egg" stat seems more meaningful. NH seems to be up on sabermetrics. Hopefully, he will study this one and impress upon Hurdle the benefits of using his relievers to the best advantage of the team rather than to accumulate a silly stat. I still recall at the beginning of the season when Hurdle said Watson was his closer and would not be used in non-save situations because he didn't think it was fair to Watson to limit the number of saves he could accrue, which would benefit his next contract negotiation. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a manager say.
SammyKhalifa

8-10 game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3A31393530312A6F691E273F363131703D315E0 wrote: Cole pitched 8 today.  Very good outing.  Cole did his job.  I will take that performance every time out.

Nicasio is in to get the final three outs. 

Yes, he was very good after a shaky start.
BenM

8-10 game

Post by BenM »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: Today was another example of why I hate the save rule. It's still the only stat that dictates how a manager uses his players. Today, Rivero entered with 1 out, runners in 1B and 2B, and a 4-run lead (7-3). He allowed both inherited runners to score and put an additional runner on base. But because he didn't totally blow the game, he gets a much coveted "save." I think Rivero is an elite reliever among the very best in the game. But this game was nothing to write home about. But it will be included in his all time total of saves, as if each one was something special. Fans drool all over saves and they're just too easy to get.

Yeah, that "goose egg" stat seems more meaningful. NH seems to be up on sabermetrics. Hopefully, he will study this one and impress upon Hurdle the benefits of using his relievers to the best advantage of the team rather than to accumulate a silly stat. I still recall at the beginning of the season when Hurdle said Watson was his closer and would not be used in non-save situations because he didn't think it was fair to Watson to limit the number of saves he could accrue, which would benefit his next contract negotiation. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a manager say. 

Now that you mention it, from what I've heard private club analytics are better than the ones we read about in public. (More data, dedicated staff etc.) So the Pirates almost certainly know about this. So why the reluctance to change? Especially since it's something that gives them a no cost early adopter advantage. Just like the shift.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

8-10 game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates were doing this. But too many "saves" and games were being blown.

There is always discussion on when to bring in the team's best reliever. The 2016 World Series really put it out there with the use of Miller and Chapman. That was after the Orioles didn't use Britton in their Wild Card Game.

Plus, we have had many discussions here when Watson wasn't closing out games.