Positive Thought

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Positive Thought

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6E5C50504476555C51545B5C3D0 wrote: I don't really know what to expect out of Marte.  Forget about any chemical alterations being gone--just the pressure and the fact he hasn't been in the majors all year (and really wasn't doing that great when he was anyhow) makes me wonder if people are expecting way too much.

Marte is better than Frazier. How long was Marte on "the stuff"? I assume he was tested before and passed. I am not worried about him losing anything because of being off 'the stuff". Marte is a special talent. He will bat higher than his replacements and definitely play better defense.
SammyKhalifa

Positive Thought

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I get that but it's not like he was mashing before the suspension.  Could have been just him being nervous, for sure.  I don't think he was using most of that time either but it feels like people are waiting for the cavalry to arrive, and what if he's still cold?  He was hitting .244 and was getting on base well below a .300 clip. I don't think he's going to arrive suddenly having hit his stride and in mid-season form.
johnfluharty

Positive Thought

Post by johnfluharty »

Just having him back could spark the team without even taking his performance into account. I don't know that of course since I am not in the clubhouse, but if they've already forgiven him for his mistake then they've been anticipating his return all season, and we all know that a significant part of the game at the major league level is confidence and momentum.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Positive Thought

It was 13 games? I will judge him on the 130 games in 2016. He is a proven outfielder and was one of the best left fielders in all of baseball. I wouldn't think he would drop off that far.
johnfluharty

Positive Thought

Post by johnfluharty »

40727E7E6A587B727F7A7572130 wrote: I get that but it's not like he was mashing before the suspension.  Could have been just him being nervous, for sure.  I don't think he was using most of that time either but it feels like people are waiting for the cavalry to arrive, and what if he's still cold?  He was hitting .244 and was getting on base well below a .300 clip.  I don't think he's going to arrive suddenly having hit his stride and in mid-season form.

He knew about his failed test and has said it was on his mind, so that probably affected his numbers some.
notes34

Positive Thought

Post by notes34 »

525750565E544D50594A4C41380 wrote: I get that but it's not like he was mashing before the suspension.  Could have been just him being nervous, for sure.  I don't think he was using most of that time either but it feels like people are waiting for the cavalry to arrive, and what if he's still cold?  He was hitting .244 and was getting on base well below a .300 clip.  I don't think he's going to arrive suddenly having hit his stride and in mid-season form.

He knew about his failed test and has said it was on his mind, so that probably affected his numbers some.
Marte will be just fine. I will take my chances with him out there. Even if his offense is down, he is still a special player with defense and speed.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Positive Thought

Maybe this belongs here:

This date in 2012 is when Mark Appel wouldn't sign with the Pirates. The Pirates offered $3.7 or $3.8 million and he said no. His "people" claimed it wasn't the money and other decisions were involved.

Appel is 25 years old, struggling in the Philllies organization (Triple A).

Kind of a positive thought, right?

(Meadows was the replacement pick in 2013)
mouse

Positive Thought

Post by mouse »

Wasn't that a good decision on his part, though. If I recall, he got more money the next year, so he did well. If he can't make the majors with the Phils (are they his second team?) he wouldn't have with the Pirates either. So he got more money, and the Pirates may have a better player (depending on how Meadows in the Pirate organization). Sort of a win-win.
rucker59@gmail.com

Positive Thought

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

606B636F6A6B703533447D656C6B6B2A676B040 wrote: Maybe this belongs here:

This date in 2012 is when Mark Appel wouldn't sign with the Pirates.  The Pirates offered $3.7 or $3.8 million and he said no.  His "people" claimed it wasn't the money and other decisions were involved.

Appel is 25 years old, struggling in the Philllies organization (Triple A). 

Kind of a positive thought, right? 

(Meadows was the replacement pick in 2013)

No, I see no positive news in this. Our guy is also in AAA, sitting with injuries. And all we did was shuffle the deck with Appel with a certain catcher drafted #14 and already out of the orginazation. Just to add to the positives we also moved our #2, Blake Taylor, in 2014 in the Ike Davis deal, who the Pirates DFA at the end of the year 2014 season.

That would be a good $6.5M or so.

While it maybe laughable, I have no positive thoughts about this....
rucker59@gmail.com

Positive Thought

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Re Marte - my hope is this matter jars him to be the total player he is capable of. I hope we will never again see the mega-talented Marte taking plays off in the field or on the bases. He needs to be a leader and especially to Polanco. His example is less than stellar, from his drug use to his commitment.

I think he will be better and more disciplined and committed player.