Pirates v Cardinals - this one really counts - game 1

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

757E767A7F7E652026516870797E7E3F727E110 wrote: Does anyone think Wainwright is done?  He wasn't throwing hard and had some curve balls in the 60 mph range.
He's had a number of awful games this year. Six times he's failed to go 5 innings. But he's also had some very good games and some mediocre games. He'll be 36 in 2 weeks and clearly isn't the pitcher he used to be. His inconsistency may mean he's at a point where everything has to be perfect for him to pitch well. He's owed 19.5 million in 2018 so i guess he'll be back for 1 more season. But from one game to the next they never know what they'll get from him. 

He just wasn't throwing hard.  Wehner on the radio said he watched his warm up and was surprised they sent him out there.

Maybe the Pirates can trade for him for another project next year?

LOL. But they have to wait until 2019 when he's no longer under that huge contract. 37 year old Wainwright will come much cheaper and provide more financial flexibility.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7B7A6170662621150 wrote: Maybe we can hit some home runs when we get to Williamsport.
Only if we play on the little league fields.

And with aluminum bats.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Per the Trib, Hurdle comments on why he used Benoit. And it's a good example of how Hurdle just doesn't get it.

“But, no, I don't second-guess the decision whatsoever. Benoit was a guy that's been doing it for a long time.”

Yes, a long, long, long time. That's why he's no longer any good at age 40. Hurdle had no 2nd thoughts and no regrets. He doesn't concern himself with things like Benoit's actual, current abilities as demonstrated by recent performance. He pencils in Benoit's name and grabs another piece of gum and his job is done. Gee, what's so hard about managing. This is easy!
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

767D75797C7D662325526B737A7D7D3C717D120 wrote: Does anyone think Wainwright is done?  He wasn't throwing hard and had some curve balls in the 60 mph range.
He's had a number of awful games this year. Six times he's failed to go 5 innings. But he's also had some very good games and some mediocre games. He'll be 36 in 2 weeks and clearly isn't the pitcher he used to be. His inconsistency may mean he's at a point where everything has to be perfect for him to pitch well. He's owed 19.5 million in 2018 so i guess he'll be back for 1 more season. But from one game to the next they never know what they'll get from him. 

He just wasn't throwing hard.  Wehner on the radio said he watched his warm up and was surprised they sent him out there.

Maybe the Pirates can trade for him for another project next year?

I do believe I detect a hint of sarcasm. Well done! :)

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Listening to Hurdle last night after the game I am really starting to have my doubts on whether he will be back or not next season. I sense complete and total burnout from him and just a guy that has no answers and no desire to win here anymore.