If you were NH

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

If you were NH

Post by notes34 »

1A1211263015323D530 wrote: 1). There is absolutely zero chance we sign Moose or Frasier in FA.   ZERO CHANCE.  SRod was signed for Kang insurance, NH said so himself.   

2) there is no reason to get rid of SRod with as many positions he plays, his HR/Ab ratio and walk rates this year and last.   His annual salary is a bargain.

3) the rotation isn't anywhere near as good as it's being made out to be. 

1.  I know that. I outlined how I think the Pirates could do it, if they didn't throw so much money away.  Signing a bench guy to be a starter is not a good way to put a competitive baseball team on the field.

2.  Ehh...positional flexibility doesn't really impress me.  Frazier, Harrison, Moroff, Osuna can replicate his production, and his defensive flexibility, for a fraction of the cost.

3.  Fair enough...I think there is a lot of potential there.  Don't have the time to look now, but I wonder how many innings Williams, Kuhl, and Taillon threw last year, and how many they've thrown this year.  Cole has been a disappointment, but the pedigree is there.  I don't think it's a stretch to think that Brault, Glasnow, and Kingham could throw the ball well in MLB.

I just think that the guys I named above are a hearken back to the days of Craig and Jack Wilson, Jeff Suppan, Jeff D'Amico, Kenny Lofton, Reggie Sanders, Matt Stairs, etc.  Proven mediocrity.  Can Newman replicate what Mercer has done this year?  Probably.  Can Diaz replicate what Cervelli has done?  I'd say almost certainly.  Ditto Moroff and Rodriguez, Santana/Neverauskas for Hudson/Benoit.  I could go on and on.

The Pirates are already behind the 8-ball when it comes to the economics of baseball.  Don't compound the problem by throwing $5 million at a problem you can solve for $600,000.  It seem like the Drive for 75 all over again.

You know...as I type this out, I'm realizing that I've been wrong. I'm starting to think that maybe NH isn't the great GM that I thought he was.
While I'm not a huge S-Rod fan, I do think you are underselling just how important he can be. The defense he can supply all over the field is extremely valuable. No way Frazier, Moroff, and Osuna can be moved around as much as him. Harrison is a possibility but he is starting at 2nd. I would love an upgrade at 3rd that would allow Freese to PH and start 2-3 times a week at either 3rd or 1st.
notes34

If you were NH

Post by notes34 »

5E656F64480C0 wrote: Osuna with a full year of AB`s is a  260/15/70 guy. 320 obp. We could use that at 3rd , since we do not have anything else. Think Steve Buchele numbers, and back then we actually traded to get him as a bat.

We need hitters real ones ..Cutch having a great season and we are in 4th place .He is not a difference maker .He gets his stats thats all ...Players dont rally around him . They don`t fear his wrath.He is a good guy .His stock is high get a solid return for him...
Freese is putting up numbers comparable to that. If Osuna puts up those numbers offensively I don't want him starting at 3rd. Freese currently has a .373 .OBP. and is likely to finish with around 12 hrs.
JollyRoger

If you were NH

Post by JollyRoger »

14352029112833203524410 wrote: What would be your plan to get the Bucs back into the postseason next year. Here is my plan:

5)Bullpen. Obviously Benoit, LeBlanc, and Hudson do not return. I bring up Glasnow, Brault for long relief. Resign Kontos and Nicasio. Round out the pen with Schugel, Neveraskas, and of course Rivero as the closer.

A couple of recent moves have been made with 2018 in mind. Brault has been moved to the bullpen at Indy and Cumpton has been moved up from AA to Indy's bullpen. Cumpton is a bit of a forgotten man because of his TJ surgery and other health issues. But he has some solid MLB experience for us and it looks like his future is in the pen.

Hudson will be back as he has a another year on his contract and we won't do anything until we find out if he has rediscovered himself next year. I think Kontos has a good chance of signing but Nicasio doesn't -- someone will pay him more than we would. With these moves I think a potential bullpen for 2018 is:

Rivero

Kontos

Neveraskas

Hudson

Schugel

Cumpton

Brault

Just a note. Montana DuRapau moved up to AAA in July. I don't know what the kid does, how he does it -- because he doesn't rate out highly, he's not tall and powerful, he doesn't have an overwhelming pitch -- but whatever it is, he does it well. He was Altoona's closer with a 1.49 ERA in 36 innings. He has responded at Indy with 17 K's and 3 BB's in 11.1 innings. As I recall he was a 33rd rounder, but whatever it was, it was very late. With my strong scouting abilities he became one of my must watch prospects because of that great name with all the vowels (Scooter Hightower is my current fav because at 6'6", Scooter is pretty funny -- and maybe there some magic to a name because he's turning himself into a interesting pitcher). But I wouldn't put DuRapau out of the 2018 mix because once and awhile one of these non-prospect kids have "it" and I think he's one kid who does.

I agree with you on Cumpton. Even I forgot about him; but I do remember that he provided a few quality starts for us back in 2013. He should be one to keep an eye on. Not really interested in bringing Hudson back. He has nothing that really distinguishes himself.
RichD

If you were NH

Post by RichD »

I will take Reggie Sanders,it would be an upgrade over Polonco. I think we were paying him about $5m the short time he was here.

We need to find that young guy who is ready to break out. Maybe he is 27-28 so what. Brewers got lucky with Shaw.We snagged Giles out of the blue for a nice run.

I want to get Matt Hague back .He can play 1st/3rd/LF now.Nice bench piece. :P
UtahPirate

If you were NH

Post by UtahPirate »

6F4A49495C774A424057250 wrote: What would be your plan to get the Bucs back into the postseason next year. Here is my plan:

5)Bullpen. Obviously Benoit, LeBlanc, and Hudson do not return. I bring up Glasnow, Brault for long relief. Resign Kontos and Nicasio. Round out the pen with Schugel, Neveraskas, and of course Rivero as the closer.

A couple of recent moves have been made with 2018 in mind. Brault has been moved to the bullpen at Indy and Cumpton has been moved up from AA to Indy's bullpen. Cumpton is a bit of a forgotten man because of his TJ surgery and other health issues. But he has some solid MLB experience for us and it looks like his future is in the pen.

Hudson will be back as he has a another year on his contract and we won't do anything until we find out if he has rediscovered himself next year. I think Kontos has a good chance of signing but Nicasio doesn't -- someone will pay him more than we would. With these moves I think a potential bullpen for 2018 is:

Rivero

Kontos

Neveraskas

Hudson

Schugel

Cumpton

Brault

Just a note. Montana DuRapau moved up to AAA in July. I don't know what the kid does, how he does it -- because he doesn't rate out highly, he's not tall and powerful, he doesn't have an overwhelming pitch -- but whatever it is, he does it well. He was Altoona's closer with a 1.49 ERA in 36 innings. He has responded at Indy with 17 K's and 3 BB's in 11.1 innings. As I recall he was a 33rd rounder, but whatever it was, it was very late. With my strong scouting abilities he became one of my must watch prospects because of that great name with all the vowels (Scooter Hightower is my current fav because at 6'6", Scooter is pretty funny -- and maybe there some magic to a name because he's turning himself into a interesting pitcher). But I wouldn't put DuRapau out of the 2018 mix because once and awhile one of these non-prospect kids have "it" and I think he's one kid who does.

I agree with you on Cumpton. Even I forgot about him; but I do remember that he provided a few quality starts for us back in 2013. He should be one to keep an eye on. Not really interested in bringing Hudson back. He has nothing that really distinguishes himself.

My comment on Hudson isn't because I want to keep him. I've winced on several occasions when he has be called on (and most times my exasperation has proven well founded). But it would be un-Pirate like to dump $5.5 million until they are absolutely forced to. I think they'll see if he has figured anything different out to start 2018 because they don't know what else to do with him.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Hutchison moved to the pen. He is out of options and he needs to pitch somewhere if he isn't let go (which I don't think will happen).
Ecbucs

If you were NH

Post by Ecbucs »

08293C350D342F3C29385D0 wrote: What would be your plan to get the Bucs back into the postseason next year. Here is my plan:

Rivero

Kontos

Neveraskas

Hudson

Schugel

Cumpton

Brault

My comment on Hudson isn't because I want to keep him. I've winced on several occasions when he has be called on (and most times my exasperation has proven well founded). But it would be un-Pirate like to dump $5.5 million until they are absolutely forced to. I think they'll see if he has figured anything different out to start 2018 because they don't know what else to do with him.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Hutchison moved to the pen. He is out of options and he needs to pitch somewhere if he isn't let go (which I don't think will happen).

I can see Hutchison coming back if the Bucs bring him up in September and he shows something. Not sure he can do it though.
INbuc

If you were NH

Post by INbuc »

I was the first one to respond to this post and I thought I would weigh in again. This may sound amateurish (YES AMATEURISH) but I learned this in my rotisserie league days a few decades ago. A great way to get proven talent is being willing to offer your prospects. This is what the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and now Cubs do. They keep their major league team stocked with talent by trading on-the-come prospects --that might pan out-- for proven major league talent. They aren't afraid because with 150 minor leaguers in the organization, new players will emerge or be drafted and they will trade them the next year.

Meanwhile, the Bucs keep their minor leagues and their prospect lists well stocked. For example, the Pirates over-cooked Alan Hanson. They probably could have traded him for a nice return 2 or 3 years ago but they held on too long and he faded out.

The Pirates are in a window where they are able to contend. So do we wait until Meadows, Glasnow, et.al. come up, serve their year or two training period while they get major league acclimated --at the same time hoping other significant pieces don't leave for free agency -- or do we trade off some pieces to get the talent that gets us over the hump?

Everyone fears the prospect you trade will become someone else's Hall of Famer. I go back to what I said in my first post--Go get a Scherzer or Greinke type. Those are the type guys you win divisional titles with and those are the type guys you have to have to win post season games. The price of prospects is high, but think this formula will work.
Bobster21

If you were NH

Post by Bobster21 »

5B5C706771120 wrote: I was the first one to respond to this post and I thought I would weigh in again.  This may sound amateurish (YES AMATEURISH) but I learned this in my rotisserie league days a few decades ago.  A great way to get proven talent is being willing to offer your prospects.  This is what the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and now Cubs do.  They keep their major league team stocked with talent by trading on-the-come prospects --that might pan out-- for proven major league talent.  They aren't afraid because with 150 minor leaguers in the organization, new players will emerge or be drafted and they will trade them the next year. 

Meanwhile, the Bucs keep their minor leagues and their prospect lists well stocked.  For example, the Pirates over-cooked Alan Hanson.  They probably could have traded him for a nice return 2 or 3 years ago but they held on too long and he faded out. 

The Pirates are in a window where they are able to contend.  So do we wait until Meadows, Glasnow, et.al. come up, serve their year or two training period while they get major league acclimated --at the same time hoping other significant pieces don't leave for free agency -- or do we trade off some pieces to get the talent that gets us over the hump?

Everyone fears the prospect you trade will become someone else's Hall of Famer.  I go back to what I said in my first post--Go get a Scherzer or Greinke type.  Those are the type guys you win divisional titles with and those are the type guys you have to have to win post season games.  The price of prospects is high, but think this formula will work. 

The other problem is that, while other teams trade prospects for proven talent, the Pirates are unwilling to acquire proven talent if it comes with a market value contract. So there's that. :(
Ecbucs

If you were NH

Post by Ecbucs »

5D707D6C6B7A6D2D2E1F0 wrote: I was the first one to respond to this post and I thought I would weigh in again.  This may sound amateurish (YES AMATEURISH) but I learned this in my rotisserie league days a few decades ago.  A great way to get proven talent is being willing to offer your prospects.  This is what the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and now Cubs do.  They keep their major league team stocked with talent by trading on-the-come prospects --that might pan out-- for proven major league talent.  They aren't afraid because with 150 minor leaguers in the organization, new players will emerge or be drafted and they will trade them the next year. 

Meanwhile, the Bucs keep their minor leagues and their prospect lists well stocked.  For example, the Pirates over-cooked Alan Hanson.  They probably could have traded him for a nice return 2 or 3 years ago but they held on too long and he faded out. 

The Pirates are in a window where they are able to contend.  So do we wait until Meadows, Glasnow, et.al. come up, serve their year or two training period while they get major league acclimated --at the same time hoping other significant pieces don't leave for free agency -- or do we trade off some pieces to get the talent that gets us over the hump?

Everyone fears the prospect you trade will become someone else's Hall of Famer.  I go back to what I said in my first post--Go get a Scherzer or Greinke type.  Those are the type guys you win divisional titles with and those are the type guys you have to have to win post season games.  The price of prospects is high, but think this formula will work. 

The other problem is that, while other teams trade prospects for proven talent, the Pirates are unwilling to acquire proven talent if it comes with a market value contract. So there's that.  :(

yeah, you can't get much talent back no matter what prospects you offer if you won't pay $10 million a year or more.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

If you were NH

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4344687F690A0 wrote: I was the first one to respond to this post and I thought I would weigh in again.  This may sound amateurish (YES AMATEURISH) but I learned this in my rotisserie league days a few decades ago.  A great way to get proven talent is being willing to offer your prospects.  This is what the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and now Cubs do.  They keep their major league team stocked with talent by trading on-the-come prospects --that might pan out-- for proven major league talent.  They aren't afraid because with 150 minor leaguers in the organization, new players will emerge or be drafted and they will trade them the next year. 

Agree, but you need that Major League team first too. The teams you mentioned win with their young players and of course added pieces by trading others.

Yes, the Pirates have to be willing to trade some guys. But they have to have a core in place before they start doing that.