Nicasio traded to Cardinals

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am ok with the Moises Alou trade too. The Pirates needed Zane Smith to beat the Mets that year. It was worth the risk. Smith helped big time.

That is the type of trade the Pirates should look for today. Who cares about potential and bring in what is needed now to win before the window of opportunity closes.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5358505C5958430600774E565F5858195458370 wrote: I am ok with the Moises Alou trade too.  The Pirates needed Zane Smith to beat the Mets that year.  It was worth the risk.  Smith helped big time.

That is the type of trade the Pirates should look for today.  Who cares about potential and bring in what is needed now to win before the window of opportunity closes.
Trading Alou was not the issue. It was being forced by MLB rules to give him up immediately instead of being the player to be named because GM Doughty publicly named him as the PTBNL. Once he's named you have to give him up. It was a fair trade but still a goof by Doughty.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1C2F333231390F3229352E293834335D0 wrote:

Ahh, nostalgic times. Reminiscent of the A-Ram trade, the Wes Chamberlain ("oops, I meant to say revocable waivers"), the early giveaway of Moises Alou by identifying him as the player to be named later and the Glen Wilson trades.

Wilson, 30, was the starting RFer the 1989 Pirates and asked to be traded to his home town of Houston. Apparently going for the Mr. Congeniality award, GM Larry Doughty agreed to trade his starting RFer to the Astros in early May for catcher Alan Ashby, 37. Ashby was finished. He was hitting .164 and had just lost his job as the starting catcher to rookie Craig Biggio. Ashby was on the verge of being released when, lo and behold, Doughty offered his starting RFer for him. Astros GM Bill Wood thought about it for a half second and agreed to the deal. But Ashby refused to go to the Pirates and was released and retired the next day. Stuck with the good hitting Wilson, Doughty persevered to move him to Houston. On August 18, Wilson was leading the Pirates with a .282 BA, 2nd in RBIs with 49, 3rd in doubles (20) and 3rd in HRs (9). And that was a team that also had Bonilla, Bonds and Van Slyke. That day he was traded to the Astros for Billy Hatcher, hitting .228 with 3 HRs. He hit .244 the rest of the way for the Pirates and was traded to the Reds at the end of ST the following year. Actually, Wilson never did much either after the trade. He should have stayed with the Pirates where he was hitting well. Ah, such great memories.

I think that Wilson may have been a Doughty "oops," signed for two years within a few days of when Doughty took over the GM job in 1988. Wilson was all the wrong things for a right fielder - he wouldn't take a walk, he had doubles power instead of homer power, he had an arm instead of range.  Once the glow of his big year in Philly wore off, he was passed around the league like a hot potato.  The Pirates went several years with Bonilla on a RF-3B shuttle, while filling in the other spot with a vast array of players.  I never for a second wished they had held onto Wilson.

When traded, Wilson had 32 walks in 330 ABs. Same rate as Van Slyke. Only Redus, Bonilla and Bonds finished the season with a higher OBP. Whether you liked Wilson or not, he was one of the best hitters on that team at the time of the trade. Trading him for Hatcher was fair because they needed a leadoff batter. But they dealt Hatcher before the next season began. But offering Wilson for a 37 year old catcher who had been benched and was a day away from being released was bizarre. Holy Benito Santiago, Batman!