Who are YOU rooting for?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6C676F6366677C393F487169606767266B67080 wrote: Rooting for the Cleveland Indians or the Houston Astros! Not a big fan of the Dodgers or Cubs or Nationals. Think the AL is actually better suited to win it all. Then again, whoever makes the most of the opportunities and wants it the most will go home with the WS Trophy! Beat'em Bucs 8-)

I always felt the AL has a huge advantage because of the DH.  They have an extra starter on their roster.  Some are super stars and highly paid players.  The NL has the best bench guy as their DH.  Rarely, are they top players on their team or they would be starting. 

You'd think so, but by my rough count (kept on getting distracted and didn't find an official record anywhere quickly) since the DL in the WS became a thing the record is something like 21-19 AL.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Since Interleague Play was brought back in 1997, the AL has won more games.

The AL has won 2,890 games and the NL has won 2,574 games. That's a .529 winning percentage for the AL.

The Pirates have the worse Interleague record in that time too at .397 percent.

Since 1973 when the DH was introduced, the AL has gone 23-20 in World Series play. That's a .535 win percentage.
SammyKhalifa

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah but the DH wasn't used in the World Series until '76.

Don't get me wrong I do think it's an advantage--I was just surprised it wasn't wider than it is.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Who are YOU rooting for?

04363A3A2E1C3F363B3E3136570 wrote: Yeah but the DH wasn't used in the World Series until '76.

Don't get me wrong I do think it's an advantage--I was just surprised it wasn't wider than it is. 

I didn't know that. Yes, I knew it was close in who won the World Series. Why I said I always "felt" the AL had an advantage.

SammyKhalifa

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, when you said that it made me look. I wouldn't have thought it either but the NL has dominated this current decade in the WS, 5-2.

Here's an old article I found with other useless knowledge:

http://sabr.org/research/dh-world-serie ... ting-facts

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Who are YOU rooting for?

The Nationals blew Game 5.  So many mental errors or bad strategies.  Tuner running on contact with the infield in.  Then Turner didn't get the lead runner and a possibly double play.  Weiters not getting down on wild pitches to block the ball. 

Getting picked off of first with the tying run on second base was a huge mistake. The runner slid back into first too. That is rare as most dive back so they can grab the base on the outside corner. The runner was sleeping. Great call by the Cubs to put that risky play on.

Is Catcher's Interference a reviewable play?  It seems odd if it isn't.  That was a big game changer.  Of course Weiters should have blocked the ball or made a good throw, but still.  I am not sure if I ever saw that before, a back swing interference on a dropped third strike.

Ugh...Cubs advanced. 
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Who are YOU rooting for?

Something else that is really rare happened in game five too:

In four consecutive at bats, the Cubs batters had a an Intentional Walk, a passed ball strike out, catcher's interference, and a hit by pitch.

This has only happened in a game five times in major league history. This happened last night in the same inning and in consecutive batters. Also off one of the best pitchers in the game, Max Scherzer.
SammyKhalifa

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah last night was the worst.
SammyKhalifa

Who are YOU rooting for?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Teams remaining in MLB postseason, by opening day payroll: 1. LAD $225.5M, 3. NYY $195.8M, 6. CHC $176.9M, 8. WAS $164.6M, 19. HOU $122.4M

As per usual it's big spenders/markets and then one outlier to give the false impression that things are fair.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Who are YOU rooting for?

32000C0C182A09000D080700610 wrote: Teams remaining in MLB postseason, by opening day payroll: 1. LAD $225.5M, 3. NYY $195.8M, 6. CHC $176.9M, 8. WAS $164.6M, 19. HOU $122.4M

As per usual it's big spenders/markets and then one outlier to give the false impression that things are fair. 

Also, the four largest cities in the United States.