Melky Cabrera Maybe on Bucs Radar

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5C595E58505A435E5744424F360 wrote: I don't know that Diaz has proven himself to be any more than a AAAA player at this point but I'd like to see him get an extended try. 

I'm with ya. I like the Cervelli of a couple years ago when he showed some power and decent hitting, nice defensive skills and almost injure free.

But I don't think you are going to see those three important things with Cervelli reappear. So since this is going to be pretty much a lost season competitive wise go with Diaz and see what he can do playing full time.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5747467167676B040 wrote: I'd rather bring in a bench player that plays the outfield. Someone with some pop. That actually could be Osuna. Frazier and Osuna aren't very good fielders. If outfield defense is needed, I expect Rodriguez to step in.

Luplow could have a future. I'd like to see what he can do. I know he doesn't have many Triple A at bats, but overall he had a pretty good 2017. 

And Cervelli is better than Diaz.

No, Cervelli isn't.  The guy has zero power; isn't a good hitter and is fragile.

Sure, you want to bring in a bench player to add to our big time collection of bench players.  Bench players litter this roster champ.

So, this was your response to another poster (not me, of course):

"I would take Melky's bat over anything we have or looking at as a third starting OF, or 4th."

I say I would bring in a bench player with some pop and then you disagree?

Yes, Cervelli is better than Diaz. You said Cervelli has no power, but Diaz does? Diaz hasn't hit major league pitching and has an OPS under .700 in the minors. Why do you think Diaz is a better hitter than Cervelli? The stats certainly don't help your case.
mouse

Post by mouse »

On the whole, I do agree re Cervelli. But he is an emotional leader for the team, and if he is used judiciously (that is, not being called on full time) he can still provide value.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

5E5C464056330 wrote: On the whole, I do agree re Cervelli. But he is an emotional leader for the team, and if he is used judiciously (that is, not being called on full time) he can still provide value.

Funny I see the opposite Cervelli everyone else does.  I see a whiny mouthy hot-head.   I feel like he's such an obvious primadonna with all the "look at me" type stuff he does every time he takes a foul ball of his mask or arm etc...  

He really needs to man up and stop whining all the time.  No other catchers draw so much attention to themselves as frequently that I see playing.

Not to mention, he argues strikes and balls with umps all the time as a hitter, but also while catching.   More than any other catcher I've ever seen.    Hit pitch framing numbers have even plummeted, maybe it's unrelated, but MAYBE it's a little bit related to his constant whining.. (The pitch framing is in the process of being exposed as unpredictable from year to year for most catchers now. It's not random but not a guaranteed repeatable skill)

Cervelli took a full-time payday and now he's living on it playing half-seasons.  He's not the type of leader I'd want, that's for sure.   

he's had a single good year in his career, took a payday and hasn't been able to replicate it.  Constantly injured with assorted ailments, so it not even like it's the same nagging issue.  He's on the field maybe 65% of the time he should be.    That's no leader to me, not with a scrapper like JHay on the club, anyway.   
dogknot17@yahoo.co

7A737B6A641E0 wrote: On the whole, I do agree re Cervelli. But he is an emotional leader for the team, and if he is used judiciously (that is, not being called on full time) he can still provide value.

Funny I see the opposite Cervelli everyone else does.  I see a whiny mouthy hot-head.   I feel like he's such an obvious primadonna with all the "look at me" type stuff he does every time he takes a foul ball of his mask or arm etc...  

He really needs to man up and stop whining all the time.  No other catchers draw so much attention to themselves as frequently that I see playing.

Not to mention, he argues strikes and balls with umps all the time as a hitter, but also while catching.   More than any other catcher I've ever seen.    Hit pitch framing numbers have even plummeted, maybe it's unrelated, but MAYBE it's a little bit related to his constant whining..

Cervelli took a full-time payday and now he's living on it playing half-seasons.  He's not the type of leader I'd want, that's for sure.   

he's had a single good year in his career, took a payday and hasn't been able to replicate it.  Constantly injured with assorted ailments, so it not even like it's the same nagging issue.  He's on the field maybe 65% of the time he should be.    That's no leader to me, not with a scrapper like JHay on the club, anyway.   

Many players have said how he takes so many baseballs off his body and plays through so many injuries. In my opinion, he does take a lot of foul tips compared to other catchers. I don't know why, no one seems to know why.

He does complain a lot while he bats on balls and strikes, I agree with that. I also think that comes with the position he plays. But you are right, it is too much. He doesn't come off as a "hot-head" at all to me. He actually demonstrates how to talk to an umpire in a professional way.

You can still be a leader even if you are injured or a part time player. Many back up catchers have been team leaders as they are usually a veteran who sits next to the coaches.

Cervelli is a hustler too. When on the field, he is giving it his all. He does need to repeat that 2015 season. He has the ability to be above average when he is healthy.

The ladies love him. I think that is why he gets so much attention.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Well I'm not surprised that we see things differently re: Cervelli... Dog lol.

Of course an oft-injured player CAN be a leader, but he's not some crafty experienced vet. He's a guy who's had a single season, a prior PED suspension, and cannot stay on the field.

I'm not a big believer in the leadership ability thing anyway. So I guess it doesn't matter, but if leadership in baseball is real, I'm going to say we need a better example of it than Cervelli.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

424B43525C260 wrote: Well I'm not surprised that we see things differently re: Cervelli... Dog lol.

Of course an oft-injured player CAN be a leader, but he's not some crafty experienced vet. He's a guy who's had a single season, a prior PED suspension, and cannot stay on the field.   

I'm not a big believer in the leadership ability thing anyway.   So I guess it doesn't matter, but if leadership in baseball is real, I'm going to say we need a better example of it than Cervelli.

I don't look at Cervelli as a leader. I don't think this team has a leader. I saw leadership with Burnett and Martin. Cervelli is a 10 year veteran and came from the Yankees. Is that why people think he is an automatic leader?

It just sounds like you are calling Cervelli a baby because he gets dinged up. I don't agree with that. Many teammates have said how he plays through a lot of pain. I wish he would stay on the field. The way he plays looks like to me that he wants to play every game.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2E252D2124253E7B7D0A332B2225256429254A0 wrote: Well I'm not surprised that we see things differently re: Cervelli... Dog lol.

I'm not a big believer in the leadership ability thing anyway.   So I guess it doesn't matter, but if leadership in baseball is real, I'm going to say we need a better example of it than Cervelli.

I don't look at Cervelli as a leader.  I don't think this team has a leader.  I saw leadership with Burnett and Martin.  Cervelli is a 10 year veteran and came from the Yankees.  Is that why people think he is an automatic leader?

It just sounds like you are calling Cervelli a baby because he gets dinged up.  I don't agree with that.  Many teammates have said how he plays through a lot of pain.  I wish he would stay on the field.  The way he plays looks like to me that he wants to play every game.

Most of the time I don't think fans can really tell who is a leader and who isn't. we need to depend on players to tell us.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

My thoughts on Melky Cabrera! He has to know that this team is going no where with him here, he would be coming for a pay check thats it and who knows how he would be in the clubhouse when the team is 10 games behind 3 other teams in the division. Go with what we have or try and trade for a younger player that might put up better numbers than Cabrera. Harrison already wants out and if truth being told S. Rod, Freese and Cervelli and Nova would probably welcome a move to greener pastures. Surely the BMTIB could find an outfielder for one or two of these guys! Thanks for listening.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

717870616F150 wrote: On the whole, I do agree re Cervelli. But he is an emotional leader for the team, and if he is used judiciously (that is, not being called on full time) he can still provide value.

Not to mention, he argues strikes and balls with umps all the time as a hitter, but also while catching.   More than any other catcher I've ever seen.    Hit pitch framing numbers have even plummeted, maybe it's unrelated, but MAYBE it's a little bit related to his constant whining..  (The pitch framing is in the process of being exposed as unpredictable from year to year for most catchers now.   It's not random but not a guaranteed repeatable skill)

I see both, not either/or.

Not sure though how any of us would know who the leader is though. For all we know JHay is a giant jagoff back there in the locker room.