Breakout Player Prediction

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

37362D3C2A6A6D590 wrote: I am going with two players who have to perform for their own future sake:

Polanco in the majors.  He has all the tools, he has had one solid year.  He should certainly be a .800+ OPS guy.

Meadows in the minors.  He needs a healthy year and show he can hit in Triple A.  I felt he was projected to hit the majors last year, he certainly can be a call up this year if he is hitting.  I would love to see him get 500 at bats this year.

Me too Dog.  More Polanco than Meadows.

What makes you think it will be Polanco? I don't see any reason to believe we are going to see much more than we already have. His swing sucks, and he looks uncomfortable at best in the OF.

Just a gut feeling. Of course I have a pretty big gut! ;D What makes you think he will not have a break out year?
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Are you saying the accuracy of one's gut feeling is relative to the size of their gut? ;D ;D
notes34

Post by notes34 »

0A2B230A21294E0 wrote: I am going with two players who have to perform for their own future sake:

Polanco in the majors.  He has all the tools, he has had one solid year.  He should certainly be a .800+ OPS guy.

Meadows in the minors.  He needs a healthy year and show he can hit in Triple A.  I felt he was projected to hit the majors last year, he certainly can be a call up this year if he is hitting.  I would love to see him get 500 at bats this year.

What makes you think it will be Polanco? I don't see any reason to believe we are going to see much more than we already have. His swing sucks, and he looks uncomfortable at best in the OF.

Just a gut feeling.  Of course I have a pretty big gut!   ;D  What makes you think he will not have a break out year?

Easy answer. I've watched him play. ;D
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

20213A2B3D7D7A4E0 wrote: I am going with two players who have to perform for their own future sake:

Just a gut feeling.  Of course I have a pretty big gut!   ;D  What makes you think he will not have a break out year?

Easy answer. I've watched him play. ;D

I've watched him play too and read about his change in off season workout routine. Hey, I know why we have differing opinions, it must be the Dogknot brand rose colored glasses I wear! ;D
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I don't believe Polanco is a poor defender. I think he looks ridiculous and it makes it appear that he's terrible. Also, his effort and brain isn't always where it needs to be in the past.

The defensive metrics like him and have liked him since the beginning. If it were just a 1 year thing, I could excuse it away but for the metrics to like him consistently, it has to be his awkwardness.

He has to be getting to a bunch of balls other guys wouldn't.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He has like 15 foot strides so that seems likely.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Does his arm come into play too on those metrics?

I think players get hyped based on their arm. You read/hear how players are great defenders but they really just have a strong arm.

Polanco is fast and has that arm. That just says "great defender" on paper. His routes are bad and I feel the ball hits his glove too many times than it should and not be caught. His awkwardness does make him look worse.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Of the players already at the MLB level, I'll pick Polanco too. He's never had the season we've dreamed of: maybe his improved conditioning will be the ticket.

Of the players who still have prospect status, have to go with Colin Moran. Hope he has a rookie season like Bell managed last year.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

143E350532242428470 wrote: Of the players already at the MLB level, I'll pick Polanco too. He's never had the season we've dreamed of: maybe his improved conditioning will be the ticket.

Of the players who still have prospect status, have to go with Colin Moran. Hope he has a rookie season like Bell managed last year.

Never thought of Moran. Have to agree it would be wonderful if he would breakout like Bell last year.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Who do I want to break-out? Easy answer. Everyone. My current pessimism could turn to optimism if Moran hits 20+ HR, Moroff takes over second and exhibits power, and Bell matures as a hitter this year.

Who do I expect to break-out? I believe Meadows will demonstrate why so many have previously rated him as a top-flight prospect (whose stock has dropped in the last 1+ year) and that he will earn his way into playing in Pittsburgh before the year is out. I am also hoping that my belief becomes a reality. Meadows was envisioned as the heir replacement to Cutch and it is time for him to show that folks were right about him.