Reds@Bucs Game Thread 4/6...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7D7576415772555A340 wrote: Eric Byrnes absolutely going off on the Pirates.  Wants to know how anybody can discount this team!  Yeah man!   Crazy dude, ready to fight anyone that disagrees with him.  Lucky for Eric, I’m All In!

IDK...I want to believe. I remember in 2013 the exact moment I knew they were for real...the sweep of the Angels on the road, and I'm pretty sure it involved a big Sunday comeback, plus Grilli getting Trout to end the game. Anyway, when that happened, I knew they weren't going to fold and were a legit playoff team.

According to FiveThirtyEight.com, the Bucs have a 28% chance to make the playoffs, 13% chance to win the division. Personally, I want to see where they are at at the 32 game mark...that's 20% of the season. If they are 18-14, they'll be on pace to win 90 games, which is a playoff pace. They need to go 12-13 over their next 25 to do that. 20-12 would be a 100 win pace, which would be 14-11.

It's way, way, WAY too early to even look at the schedule, or standings, or anything else. So, I don't really even like posting this. But, this start does give hope, and make you wonder...young, talented rotation with lots of potential, ditto for the lineup. If we can get a lead to the 7th inning, I have confidence that Feliz-Kontos-Rivero can lock it down.

See my note below about why I'm starting this season a bit more bullish than the past couple. But more specifically, to your point: is it wise to get excited one week in? no, it's way too early, but I like to have fun with baseball and after the past two years, this has been fun. Here's how I'm measuring the one-week mark: they just won 6 of 7 and I don't think they are going to turn around and lose 6 of 7. I think this team is better than that. I think this is a pretty good team.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7275636B6572353940676D61696C2E636F6D000 wrote: Eric Byrnes absolutely going off on the Pirates.  Wants to know how anybody can discount this team!  Yeah man!   Crazy dude, ready to fight anyone that disagrees with him.  Lucky for Eric, I’m All In!

IDK...I want to believe. I remember in 2013 the exact moment I knew they were for real...the sweep of the Angels on the road, and I'm pretty sure it involved a big Sunday comeback, plus Grilli getting Trout to end the game. Anyway, when that happened, I knew they weren't going to fold and were a legit playoff team.

According to FiveThirtyEight.com, the Bucs have a 28% chance to make the playoffs, 13% chance to win the division. Personally, I want to see where they are at at the 32 game mark...that's 20% of the season. If they are 18-14, they'll be on pace to win 90 games, which is a playoff pace. They need to go 12-13 over their next 25 to do that. 20-12 would be a 100 win pace, which would be 14-11.

It's way, way, WAY too early to even look at the schedule, or standings, or anything else. So, I don't really even like posting this. But, this start does give hope, and make you wonder...young, talented rotation with lots of potential, ditto for the lineup. If we can get a lead to the 7th inning, I have confidence that Feliz-Kontos-Rivero can lock it down.

See my note below about why I'm starting this season a bit more bullish than the past couple.  But more specifically, to your point: is it wise to get excited one week in?  no, it's way too early, but I like to have fun with baseball and after the past two years, this has been fun.  Here's how I'm measuring the one-week mark:  they just won 6 of 7 and I don't think they are going to turn around and lose 6 of 7.  I think this team is better than that. I think this is a pretty good team.

People are saying it's early, and that's true--but if we started out 1-6 instead you can bet the pitchforks would be out already no matter how early it is.
rucker59@gmail.com

654754494A4F48476453454549260 wrote: Gregory Polanco leads all of baseball in RBI, with 11.

Very, VERY early ... but a promising start for sure. Man if Polanco and Bell can both have BIG years, this could get interesting.

I've been harsh the past two years, but I started to calm down the last few weeks of ST, significantly because of Polanco. 
The following gave me some real hope leading into the season:
-The article on Polanco about his training routine.  Sure enough, this year he looks like a guy all about baseball, unlike last year where his dyed hair made me pause and his play in the field and at the plate confirm - he was not the same dedicated player that I believed him to be from the time he was first called up (Please note - I'm not saying there is ANYTHING wrong with what he did with his hair, its just about what's going on between his ears, and the season showed my concerns were justified).
- Trading Cutch, believe it or not. This team, or at least last year's, was in serious need of clubhouse leadership.  Freese's article blew that into the open. Cutch is not really a team leader as far as I can tell.  At the same time, I think as long as Cutch was here no one else would be willing to take that role. 
- When JHay was not traded: I bet there are at least two true leaders in the clubhouse and I bet Josh is one of them.
- I like Dickerson pretty well.  Is he the Big Target I wish the Pirates would go after?  No. I have concerns, but I do think this was a good "Pirate trade".
- Betting that Marte is going to bring a new "urgency" game in and game out.
- believing the rotation is probably better than most are assuming.

Polanco, Bell, Harrison, Marte (hopefully) are potentially outstanding. Mercer is solid.  I expect catcher to be solid.  If either Moran and Dickerson can be that lightening-in-a-bottle, this first week doesn't have to be a total fluke.
rucker59@gmail.com

1B2925253103202924212E29480 wrote: Eric Byrnes absolutely going off on the Pirates.  Wants to know how anybody can discount this team!  Yeah man!   Crazy dude, ready to fight anyone that disagrees with him.  Lucky for Eric, I’m All In!

See my note below about why I'm starting this season a bit more bullish than the past couple.  But more specifically, to your point: is it wise to get excited one week in?  no, it's way too early, but I like to have fun with baseball and after the past two years, this has been fun.  Here's how I'm measuring the one-week mark:  they just won 6 of 7 and I don't think they are going to turn around and lose 6 of 7.  I think this team is better than that. I think this is a pretty good team.

People are saying it's early, and that's true--but if we started out 1-6 instead you can bet the pitchforks would be out already no matter how early it is.

First, it's nice to see you survived the night at PNC! ;D

Second, no doubt you are 100% correct. This town was a powder keg waiting to explode all over Bob Nutting and Neal and Frank. From my perspective, it's actually personal with a lot of people. It's like with the same breath all of Pittsburgh said "WE WON'T BE FOOLED AGAIN."

Real live recorded behind the scenes broadcast from OBN World Headquarters where Possum, tries to desperately rally Pirate Nation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdQCPlAZjbY

The immediate aftermath of Possum's thrilling and unifying words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=licwOgzBqo0

It's very good they did not start out 1-6....
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2522343C3225626E17303A363E3B7934383A570 wrote:

Well, a blowout win in that weather is certainly "warmer" than a blowout loss. :D
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea you can bet if this team was 1-6 right now instead of 6-1 all hell would be breaking loose and all the people who complained about them trading Cutch and Cole would be whining to no end.  Seven games is still way too early to get a good grasp on this team but right now they are 3 games up on both the Cubs and the Cardinals and that is a lot of fun to look at when pulling up the standings. I think this team has a chance to be a lot better then a lot people think. I don’t care who they have played so far either. All the Pirates can do is beat the teams on their schedule and so far that is exactly what they have done.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5A5D4B434D5A1D11684F45494144064B4745280 wrote: Eric Byrnes absolutely going off on the Pirates.  Wants to know how anybody can discount this team!  Yeah man!   Crazy dude, ready to fight anyone that disagrees with him.  Lucky for Eric, I’m All In!

Second, no doubt you are 100% correct.  This town was a powder keg waiting to explode all over Bob Nutting and Neal and Frank.  From my perspective, it's actually personal with a lot of people.  It's like with the same breath all of Pittsburgh said "WE WON'T BE FOOLED AGAIN."

Real live recorded behind the scenes broadcast from OBN World Headquarters where Possum, tries to desperately rally Pirate Nation:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdQCPlAZjbY

The immediate aftermath of Possum's thrilling and unifying words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=licwOgzBqo0

Va, you are a real piece of work my friend. I read this post and checked out the first link and almost snorted my coffee out onto my monitor. OBN members now know that I resemble the noted actor Peter Finch. Thank you and for your great work you are rewarded first OBNee for Investigative Reporting. Too bad the award is only a paper glass with your favorite beverage in it at a Bucs Game.

Stay well my friend.
rucker59@gmail.com

614048614A42250 wrote: Eric Byrnes absolutely going off on the Pirates.  Wants to know how anybody can discount this team!  Yeah man!   Crazy dude, ready to fight anyone that disagrees with him.  Lucky for Eric, I’m All In!

Second, no doubt you are 100% correct.  This town was a powder keg waiting to explode all over Bob Nutting and Neal and Frank.  From my perspective, it's actually personal with a lot of people.  It's like with the same breath all of Pittsburgh said "WE WON'T BE FOOLED AGAIN."

Real live recorded behind the scenes broadcast from OBN World Headquarters where Possum, tries to desperately rally Pirate Nation:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdQCPlAZjbY

Va, you are a real piece of work my friend.  I read this post and checked out the first link and almost snorted my coffee out onto my monitor.  OBN members now know that I resemble the noted actor Peter Finch.  Thank you and for your great work you are rewarded first OBNee for Investigative Reporting.  Too bad the award is only a paper glass with your favorite beverage in it at a Bucs Game.

Stay well my friend.

Possum - You are surely one of the most humble men ever! Everyone knows Peter Finch resembles You. The wife and I were scanning some old movie not long ago, Rebel Without a Cause I think, and Mrs Va turns to and says, “hey that’s Possum!” I said, “No dear, it’s james Dean but he does look a lot like Possum.” Go ask Mrs Possum who she thinks is the better looking: you or Peter Finch or James Dean. Guarantee 100 people say 100 percent of the time: Possum.

Reminds me of an old radio announcer from my childhood, Van Vance. He was widely known as the “best dressed man on radio”.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

75725E495F3C0 wrote: 10 hits from Mercer, Dickerson, and Moran.  A pretty clean inning by Smoker.  dmetz is en feugo.

Can't do it tonight.  You've got to keep these guys honest.  The only guy I legitimately don't like is now like an anchor around the waist of this exploding team, Cervelli.  Maybe you can get him to stop crying about everything, and start hitting and blocking pitches?   

Or better yet even, coach hurdle up to start Diaz tonight!
rucker59@gmail.com

And I accept your aware with the humility that such a small reward deserves. But its better than my last Big Award: I received notice I was nominated for “Something of The Year”. I didn’t win, but because I was one of the finalist I was given the chance to buy an autographed “Babe Ruth” baseball for only $19.99 plus shipping and handling (they even threw in two sets of Ninja Knives for free plus the separate S&H).

Imagine my excitement when I got my baseball (and Knives) and I Realized it was personally autographed to me. The ball read “to VaP, best wishes always. Babe Ruth.” WOW! I’m sure many of your faithful OBNers are thinking “that VaPirate always gets the breaks.”

But...Turns out it wasn’t really the Babe. I was fooled for a pretty long time and then I realized: the ball is stamped “made in China” and I’m smart enough to know China wasn’t a country when Babe played.

So, I accept the OBNeee for Investigative Reporting and all the benefits therewith.

(PS - this is little known and definitely can’t be shared, but Dog is Predominately featured in video number two. I can’t say which one is dog, Let’s just say EVERYONE is in complete agreement....except for for ONE person... )