4/29 game thread. Kingham vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0A0D213620430 wrote: Random thoughts....    I saw Kingham pitch in Indy last year and was impressed with his repeatable, power delivery.  He was hardly untouchable that day though.  Today he was top-shelf and a joy to watch.

Santana has a power, un-repeatable delivery.   He has some weapons though.  Really liked that change-up to whiff Carpenter.  Santana will be inconsistent, but he is growing on me.

Polanco is now hitting .195, but the Cards have Wong, Fowler, and Carpenter  (.155) all under .200.  We complain about Polanco, but I think Marcel Ozuna has a sloppy swing.  I would be surprised if he ever matches his 2017 numbers.

Same for Greg Holland.  He hasn't be dominant for a few years, and he was a late signing who is likely behind.   But I was not impressed with what I saw this weekend.   Wouldn't  it be a shame if the Cards big-money investments under-produced all year?
As much as I loved Kingham's performance today, I suspect some teams will crush his deliveries in the middle of the plate when teams learn what to expect from him. Great control, nice curveball. Hopefully he will be effective on a consistent basis. He's certainly earned another start. Brault is being skipped in the Nats 4-game series so either he'll pitch with an extra day of rest or Kingham could go again
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am not taking anything away from Kingham today. He threw strikes, he changed speeds, and he worked fast. He should have been with the Pirates years ago but had some injuries. If it wasn't for that rain out, he probably wouldn't have been up at all.

(It was also really cool his brother was only an hour away so he could see him pitch too.)
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Kingham's numbers at Indy this year indicate that he is ready for the show, and his performance today is best debut in Pirate's history. I would consider 6 man rotation or send Brault to bullpen.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Romero to DL, was going to be DFAd. I’m guessing Brault goes to the pen, Kingham to the rotation permanently. Assuming everyone stays healthy, someone else will have to go when Musgrove gets back.

Honestly, I think there's a lot of potential in our top seven starters. I think we definitely have more depth than in the past.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I said a few weeks ago if the Pirates could be 18-11 or even 17-12 at the end of April after 29 games they would be in good shape and right near the top of the division in first place. Now it took getting there a little bit differently then I thought with the 1-6 week last week and the 5–1 week this week but the bottom line is they found a way to do so. I like the pitching depth the Bucs have now. I think the lineup is decent and I still expect them to hang around this race for the foreseeable future. This is a good team.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7F77744355705758360 wrote: Romero to DL, was going to be DFAd. I’m guessing Brault goes to the pen, Kingham to the rotation permanently. Assuming everyone stays healthy, someone else will have to go when Musgrove gets back.

Honestly, I think there's a lot of potential in our top seven starters. I think we definitely have more depth than in the past.

Yeah, I'd say better depth but less potential star power
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I'm not sure of depth. Brault didn't get it done, Musgrove still has a shoulder and hasn't succeeded in the bigs.  It will be a big boost if Kingham can be a solid quality starter.

Definitely lack star power.

We are winning lately, and we are doing it without Josh Bell and Polanco. So all good
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4E474F5E502A0 wrote: I'm not sure of depth. Brault didn't get it done, Musgrove still has a shoulder and hasn't succeeded in the bigs.  It will be a big boost if Kingham can be a solid quality starter.

We are winning lately, and we are doing it without Josh Bell and Polanco.  So all good

Well yeah, Brault isn't getting done but you are naming the other options (depth) that we probably didn't have during the Vogelsong year. Heck Brault was a #6 starter depth option to cover injury to begin with.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0D3F33332715363F3237383F5E0 wrote: I'm not sure of depth. Brault didn't get it done, Musgrove still has a shoulder and hasn't succeeded in the bigs.  It will be a big boost if Kingham can be a solid quality starter.

We are winning lately, and we are doing it without Josh Bell and Polanco.  So all good

Well yeah, Brault isn't getting done but you are naming the other options (depth) that we probably didn't have during the Vogelsong year.  Heck Brault was a #6 starter depth option to cover injury to begin with.

We don’t need star power. We need something other than a bunch of #4s, #5s and #6s. With Tallion, Nova and maybe Williams, maybe the Pirates have a legit top end even if we don’t have a true #1 (Tallion hopefully). Add a fantastic outing by Kingham, and I think Pirate fans can get excited about the potential for a very good staff.

I can see the potential for a really good 1-5, with some quality depth in the background.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I didn't think Brault hurt the team in his five starts. He looked ok at times, but he kept the Pirates in the game. He left the game with the lead twice and once they were tied. The Pirates did come back and win one of his starts after he was lifted. The team went 2-3 with the bullpen getting the loss in two of those games.

It is time for Kingham to get a few starts.