Time for Polanco to sit

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by Bobster21 »

46617074716C53677071716C150 wrote: Bobster I agree with sending him down for some time as well since it looks like Marte is coming back maybe as soon as today. I don’t think Super 2 should matter with Meadows to be honest with you right now. The Pirates are 28-22 after 50 games and are one of the two wildcard teams right now. You have a legit chance to compete and make the playoffs right now so keeping your best players up here right now and trying to win right now should be the top and only priority period. With that being said, I expect Osuna to be sent down instead of Polanco and for Meadows to remain up here and get a lot of playing time in right field. You can’t sit Meadows for Polanco at this point and time.
I was sure it would be Osuna until I saw the article saying Polanco could be optioned. The problems with having both Meadows and Polanco sharing RF are that both are LH batters and sitting the red hot Meadows some days for the ice cold Polanco will hurt the team. It also will not give Polanco enough PT to fix his swing.

As for Super 2, it probably won't be an issue unless Meadows spends the rest of the season on the MLB roster. He's got to cool off sooner or later. If he eventually slumps it will give the team the excuse to send him to AAA for awhile, which would resolve the Super 2 issue. And if Polanco was playing everyday in AAA and getting himself straightened out, he could then return. And if Meadows never cools off, oh well. Give him arb a year early. ;D
SteadyFreddy

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I know we don’t talk about this much but how safe in this roster are guys like Sean Rod and Freese moving forward. I know Serpico is one of Clint’s favorites but he has been terrible against right handed pitching this season, and Freese has been okay at best when given playing time. If they do indeed bring Kang back down the road it will be interesting to see if one of these guys gets the boot.
notes34

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by notes34 »

331405010419261205040419600 wrote: I know we don’t talk about this much but how safe in this roster are guys like Sean Rod and Freese moving forward. I know Serpico is one of Clint’s favorites but he has been terrible against right handed pitching this season, and Freese has been okay at best when given playing time.  If they do indeed bring Kang back down the road it will be interesting to see if one of these guys gets the boot.
Freese has been fine. I think he's been pretty productive in this role. I have a hard time believing he will go.
IABucFan

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by IABucFan »

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote: Bobster I agree with sending him down for some time as well since it looks like Marte is coming back maybe as soon as today. I don’t think Super 2 should matter with Meadows to be honest with you right now. The Pirates are 28-22 after 50 games and are one of the two wildcard teams right now. You have a legit chance to compete and make the playoffs right now so keeping your best players up here right now and trying to win right now should be the top and only priority period. With that being said, I expect Osuna to be sent down instead of Polanco and for Meadows to remain up here and get a lot of playing time in right field. You can’t sit Meadows for Polanco at this point and time.
I was sure it would be Osuna until I saw the article saying Polanco could be optioned. The problems with having both Meadows and Polanco sharing RF are that both are LH batters and sitting the red hot Meadows some days for the ice cold Polanco will hurt the team. It also will not give Polanco enough PT to fix his swing.   

As for Super 2, it probably won't be an issue unless Meadows spends the rest of the season on the MLB roster. He's got to cool off sooner or later. If he eventually slumps it will give the team the excuse to send him to AAA for awhile, which would resolve the Super 2 issue. And if Polanco was playing everyday in AAA and getting himself straightened out, he could then return. And if Meadows never cools off, oh well. Give him arb a year early.   ;D

I'm very surprised that Polanco has an option left. I guess I really didn't understand the rule. Apparently, if you never use an option in a given year, you still have it. By my count, Polanco has used one option, 2014, the year he was first called up. So, I guess they can still option him twice. I'm surprised by that, honestly. I would have thought the PA would have wanted some language included in the CBA that essentially said, "If you've been in the majors for more than three consecutive years, you can't be optioned back to the minors."

https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2011/9/3/2 ... man-roster
Bobster21

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by Bobster21 »

060E0D3A2C092E214F0 wrote: Bobster I agree with sending him down for some time as well since it looks like Marte is coming back maybe as soon as today. I don’t think Super 2 should matter with Meadows to be honest with you right now. The Pirates are 28-22 after 50 games and are one of the two wildcard teams right now. You have a legit chance to compete and make the playoffs right now so keeping your best players up here right now and trying to win right now should be the top and only priority period. With that being said, I expect Osuna to be sent down instead of Polanco and for Meadows to remain up here and get a lot of playing time in right field. You can’t sit Meadows for Polanco at this point and time.

As for Super 2, it probably won't be an issue unless Meadows spends the rest of the season on the MLB roster. He's got to cool off sooner or later. If he eventually slumps it will give the team the excuse to send him to AAA for awhile, which would resolve the Super 2 issue. And if Polanco was playing everyday in AAA and getting himself straightened out, he could then return. And if Meadows never cools off, oh well. Give him arb a year early.   ;D

I'm very surprised that Polanco has an option left. I guess I really didn't understand the rule. Apparently, if you never use an option in a given year, you still have it. By my count, Polanco has used one option, 2014, the year he was first called up. So, I guess they can still option him twice. I'm surprised by that, honestly. I would have thought the PA would have wanted some language included in the CBA that essentially said, "If you've been in the majors for more than three consecutive years, you can't be optioned back to the minors."

Poanco was added to the 40-man roster in November 2013. So they used an option in 2014 but not since. After 5 years of service, a player can't be optioned without his permission. Polanco isn't there yet.
IABucFan

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by IABucFan »

4C616C7D7A6B7C3C3F0E0 wrote: Bobster I agree with sending him down for some time as well since it looks like Marte is coming back maybe as soon as today. I don’t think Super 2 should matter with Meadows to be honest with you right now. The Pirates are 28-22 after 50 games and are one of the two wildcard teams right now. You have a legit chance to compete and make the playoffs right now so keeping your best players up here right now and trying to win right now should be the top and only priority period. With that being said, I expect Osuna to be sent down instead of Polanco and for Meadows to remain up here and get a lot of playing time in right field. You can’t sit Meadows for Polanco at this point and time.

Poanco was added to the 40-man roster in November 2013. So they used an option in 2014 but not since. After 5 years of service, a player can't be optioned without his permission. Polanco isn't there yet.

Ahh...makes sense. I'd still be in favor of keeping Polanco up. I think you ride Meadows as long as you can while he's hot. But, there's no rule against having four outfielders on the roster. Most other teams do it. Only in Pittsburgh do they think it's a good idea to have two outfielders on your roster!

I really believe our best bench is Diaz, Freese, Rodriguez, Osuna, and whoever isn't starting between Polanco and Meadows. (Actually, I think Frazier brings more to the table at this stage of the game than Freese...plays more valuable positions, bats left-handed, younger, under team control longer...but I don't think Freese is going anywhere anytime soon. So, you option Frazier for the time being.)
notes34

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by notes34 »

I am maybe the biggest critic of Polanco on this board, but I still wouldn't option him. I would ride Meadows and allow Polanco to catch a breather. I would however explore trades. If we can get a young SP with high upside I pull the trigger. It saddens me that we are even having this discussion at this point in Polanco's career. He was supposed to be a cornerstone of this franchise for years to come. If only he could keep that swing short. He shows flashes of having a more compact swing but it never sticks.
mouse

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by mouse »

And now we have an answer - Marte activated, Osuna to minors, according to mlbtr.
fjk090852-7

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by fjk090852-7 »

45475D5B4D280 wrote: And now we have an answer - Marte activated, Osuna to minors, according to mlbtr.
I like this move, but for today’s lineup Polanco is playing and batting seventh and Meadows is on the bench. As long as Meadows is hitting he has to play everyday.
Bobster21

Time for Polanco to sit

Post by Bobster21 »

6A66673C353C34393E213B0C0 wrote: And now we have an answer - Marte activated, Osuna to minors, according to mlbtr.
I like this move, but for today’s lineup Polanco is playing and batting seventh and Meadows is on the bench. As long as Meadows is hitting he has to play everyday.
This is why I don't like this move. Meadows needs to play. Polanco needs to find his swing in AAA. Now both players will see reduced PT. This hurts the team.