Pirates@Indians 7/25 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1E19352234570 wrote: Demote Luplow.

I didn't see the game today but I might defend Luplow a bit.  He started slow in Indy hitting only .180 in April, but he improved to .310, .320, and .367 in May, June, and July, respectively.  It would be impossible to justify playing him over the three regulars at this point, but his track record indicates he has the ability to adapt and produce at a high level over time.  Should either Dickerson or Marte be out for a period of time, Luplow might get his chance to evolve into the player I think we will all be happy with.
It's gotta be very difficult to go from playing regularly against AAA pitching to sitting on the bench and only occasionally batting against a higher grade of pitching in MLB.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The news on Marte definitely sounds encouraging like there is no break. With that being said, I’d still probably plan on him missing the first few games of this Mets series. I agree with those who say to call Meadows back up and get him in there and play him with Marte out over Luplow. I really don’t want to see Luplow and Rodriguez playing center the next few games. These games are too important now and you need a guy like Meadows in there instead.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

634E43525544531310210 wrote: Demote Luplow.

I didn't see the game today but I might defend Luplow a bit.  He started slow in Indy hitting only .180 in April, but he improved to .310, .320, and .367 in May, June, and July, respectively.  It would be impossible to justify playing him over the three regulars at this point, but his track record indicates he has the ability to adapt and produce at a high level over time.  Should either Dickerson or Marte be out for a period of time, Luplow might get his chance to evolve into the player I think we will all be happy with.
It's gotta be very difficult to go from playing regularly against AAA pitching to sitting on the bench and only occasionally batting against a higher grade of pitching in MLB.

I was referencing only his double play that killed a two-on no out situation when they were down 2 in the 8th.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

If Marte is hurting for more than a game or two, the Bucs will soon need someone who can play CF. Meadows or Bostick likely are the best choices in the organization.

However, if Marte can return in a day or two, I prefer Luplow over Meadows. Meadows was slumping at the ML level and hasn't hit all that well in his return to AAA. As others noted, Luplow was hitting well at AAA but likely is suffering from inadequate playing time at the ML level. I prefer Luplow in LF over Meadows if Dickerson is out for quite a while.

Really hurts (and them more than me) to see both Dickerson and Marte to be hit with injuries. Both were on unbelievable runs and were key (irreplaceable) parts of the recent offensive surge.

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I worry that even if they are back soon, the pause in their playing time is going to throw cold war on this hot run.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I worry that them being a bit nicked up is going to be an excuse for doing next to nothing, buy or sell.   NHs natural, risk averse position.

It's time to get in the water if we are going to get in.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

666F677678020 wrote: I worry that them being a bit nicked up is going to be an excuse for doing next to nothing, buy or sell.   NHs natural, risk averse position.

If all the bats go silent/hurt then I'd hope they don't make a deal like that.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

093B37372311323B36333C3B5A0 wrote: I worry that them being a bit nicked up is going to be an excuse for doing next to nothing, buy or sell.   NHs natural, risk averse position.

A deal like what?

If we're not going to make a move then sell.at minimum mercer JHay, Cervell' Nova.   Then actually grow a set and make a big pickup on the off-season  and go for it next year.

If not buy, then you've got to purge the roster of the useless pieces next season and start seasoning the newmans and Kramers for a possible 2019 run.    Hopefully we don't do nothing or virtually nothing and then excuse it  with BS. (Probably what's coming)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

No sorry, I just meant that if our offense goes off a cliff (which as a typical anxious pirates fan I'm always waiting for the other foot to drop) all the fun talk about deadline deals will be for nothing. And making a now move "for the run" might be a mistake. but in general i agree with you, still look.
PMike

Post by PMike »

6C656D7C72080 wrote: I worry that them being a bit nicked up is going to be an excuse for doing next to nothing, buy or sell.   NHs natural, risk averse position.

A deal like what?

If we're not going to make a move then sell.at minimum mercer JHay, Cervell' Nova.   Then actually grow a set and make a big pickup on the off-season  and go for it next year.

If not buy, then you've got to purge the roster of the useless pieces next season and start seasoning the newmans and Kramers for a possible 2019 run.    Hopefully we don't do nothing or virtually nothing and then excuse it  with BS. (Probably what's coming)

I am very with you in trading those three. I especially want the middle infield guys gone so we can see what we have in Kramer and Newman. However, do you think that anyone is actually going to trade for Mercer? I can't see any of the playoff teams with a need for the minimal contribution he'd offer. He wouldn't even be that useful off the bench. Though I'd like to trade Cervelli, I don't want to watch any more games where Stallings and his sub .100 batting average get in the game.