MLB reporting that Archer is a Buc.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I give Neal and the front office props for going out to get Archer and Kele. I am impressed. I am nervous about the 3rd player for Archer, and I feel if it's a top 10 prospect we have overpaid, but I still give NH credit for buying instead of selling (or standing pat) and bringing in a LEGIT MLB starter for the next 3 years. A clear upgrade.

My only regret of the trade deadline is that we did not add a bat. I'm still not convinced this team has the offensive firepower to truly contend, and I wish we could have added a RH bat ... basically a RH bat better than S-Rod. That's a pretty low bar. I wish Neal could have found someone like that. We need more offense, especially vs. lefties.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

4A676A7B7C6D7A3A39080 wrote: Maybe Kingham takes over Glasnow's role.

for the remainder of this year, maybe Chad Kuhl makes more sense in that role.  His stuff should play well over 1-3 innings
I agree. But while Kuhl is out, I think Kingham will fill that role. He can go back to AAA when Kuhl returns.

oh right,

someone else needs to go from current 5....

hmmm

maybe AAA for Kingham, he's given up 9 HR's in last 24 innings pitched.

might need to work on some things, can always come back in Sept
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

Newman, Kramer, Hayes, Tucker all playing in tonight's game
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6E454459425A436F584E4E422D0 wrote: Newman, Kramer, Hayes, Tucker all playing in tonight's game
That's reassuring. Just a WAG here but could it be Pablo Reyes?
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

The player to be named later is not a usually high profile guy at the upper levels. Maybe someone at the lower levels?
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

133E33222534236360510 wrote: Newman, Kramer, Hayes, Tucker all playing in tonight's game
That's reassuring. Just a WAG here but could it be Pablo Reyes?

he's also playing.

So I guess in the ways PTBNL normally works, the kid could keep playing for weeks until the other team decides which guy.

For the Kela trade, I read somewhere that they didn't name the prospects because it was done at 3 am and they didn't want a kid to wake up and find out right away via twitter, text ect and not from the team.

But we haven't heard the 2nd player on that yet either have we?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I don't think who is playing tonight is free from being the PTBNL. That will be determined at a later date. I think one of the Kevins will be going to TB.

Kudos to NH. I didn't think he had the stones to do such a deal. The Kela deal is in his wheelhouse, while the Archer things certainly wasn't. Our rotation and bullpen look drastically different now. Rotation - everyone now slides one spot back, where they should be. If this doesn't yield a wild card spot this year, this sets things up for 2019. Not worried about what has gone to Tampa. Sort of concerned about the PTBNL.

With Kela, now we go full Royals. Rotation has to go six ... then Santana/Rodriguez/Crick to Kela to Vasquez.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

6042514C4F4A4D42615640404C230 wrote: Okay the Braves have by all accounts one of the very best farm systems in all of baseball.

They just got Gausman for their No. 14 and No. 30 prospects ... plus 2 throw-ins.

Granted, Archer is better than Gausman.

But if the deal is Meadows, Glasnow PLUS one of our top 10 prospects, I will still love having Archer but I'll feel that Neal overpaid significantly.

I just looked through our top 10 again to refresh my memory and none of those guys should be "3rd piece add-ons."

Archer can be an all star.  Gausman has never been anything but a fourth starter.

Archer has much more upside and his costs are known and controlled.

Glasnow has well over a year of service time in the majors.  He isn’t a prospect anymore.  Some times a guy is who he is.

Also, the Braves have a much better farm system than ours.  Their 14 is likely around our six.

We dealt from strength. This is a fair trade.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I really wouldn't call this a fair trade.    TB may have a list of players they can choose for the PTBNL by a certain date, and that could move a needle for sure.

But

This is a theft by NH.   If Meadows ever has a 2.5 WAR season, I will be surprised.  His clear inability to play CF kills his ceiling.  Corner OFs with his skill sets arent very special. We, in fact, have a couple of them ourselves who have outperformed his minor league lines, same age same levels. (Check out Jason Martin right now)

Glasnow is highly, highly improbable to be a successful starting pitcher with his combination of weaknesses.   Back of bullpen success is possible imo, but almost no chance at all as a starter.

It's larceny to obtain a 3.50 career FIP pitcher (in the hardest division in baseball) heavily cost controlled for 3 years for those two guys.    Highway robbery.    

If Archer maintains his health, this is a great, great trade.   I don't understand the trade from Tampas perspective.   They chose two players with ceilings that are significantly diminished from what they were a couple years ago and gave up 3 years of a mid-rotation workhorse with pedigree and great periphrials to do it. 

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I like this trade a lot as well the more I think about it. Having both Taillon and Archer now pitching 2 out of every 5 days or so gives this team a better chance to win more games and stay within striking distance of that 2nd wildcard spot. You throw guys like Williams,Musgrove and Nova into the equation as well who have all pitched a lot better recently combining that with adding Kela to the back end of your bullpen and this team I feel has a legit chance to win the 2nd wildcard spot. A lot of things still have to go right for this to happen but it is not a complete and total pipe dream to suggest that it won’t.