Stats

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Stats

Post by Bobster21 »

182A26263200232A27222D2A4B0 wrote: Lengthy Q&A with Tyler Glasnow:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1808100108

They gave me so many opportunities, and I didn’t show them what I could do.  It was bittersweet, but it definitely is a good chance for me to grow. … They didn’t really have a choice. They needed to get good starting pitching, and I wasn’t that in 2017.

The Pirates talked about it too. It was all the same stuff. The Pirates knew that up in the zone is definitely effective, but I needed to figure out a way to execute it.
Good article. He confirms a lot of his problems were related to confidence as he got down on himself. He also notes that the Pirates tried to get him to pitch up in the zone the way he's having success in TB but he was unable to do it.
dmetz

Stats

Post by dmetz »

Huge organizational flags throughout that article.   Gotta read between the lines though.   

I remember the 18' spring training interview when Searage dismissed swing planes changing and scoffed at not being low in the zone.   Heck, Taillon didn't come off his 2-seamer and start throwing his slider until May! So we're far behind the curve organizationally.

The statistical fact is that he is approaching his pitching differently since arriving and his heat map shows he's up in the zone and tighter. He's pitching differently from inning 1.

I guess different folks see different things. It's d@mning if it continues to work so well for him.

You don't go from 5.5 bb/9 to 2.5 bb/9 overnight and be able to sustain it without substantially changing something you're doing and it's not all mental! we shall see it he can sustain it.