Kang and Harrison

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Kang and Harrison

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Regarding Kang, My understanding is such that we can still sign Kang. And the way Huntington acted/spoke was they were going to try and sign Kang. I don't get the feeling that the ship has sailed yet on Kang coming back. I wouldn't give him the $5 million either with him doing noting over the past two years. But he did not look over-matched or out of synch when he hit against the Reds. I still think there is potential there! If they are moving on from him, we should be hearing something shortly...I imagine they will pull a Russell Martin and act on someone soon! Beat'em Bucs 8-)
Bobster21

Kang and Harrison

Post by Bobster21 »

I hope they keep Kang. I think he can help them. Obviously 5 mil is too much to take that gamble. But it would be nice to re-sign him at a lower price with incentives. If they don't, I'm sure some other organization will take a chance on him. Having had to deal with a new culture coming from Korea to Pittsburgh, and having the Pirates give him another chance last season, I suspect he would prefer to stay there rather than going to a new city to live and play.
skinnyhorse

Kang and Harrison

Post by skinnyhorse »

6B464B5A5D4C5B1B18290 wrote: I hope they keep Kang. I think he can help them. Obviously 5 mil is too much to take that gamble. But it would be nice to re-sign him at a lower price with incentives. If they don't, I'm sure some other organization will take a chance on him. Having had to deal with a new culture coming from Korea to Pittsburgh, and having the Pirates give him another chance last season, I suspect he would prefer to stay there rather than going to a new city to live and play.

Agree load up a incentive package for him if he performs, pay him, if not pay the minimum. I don't know why all contracts aren't that way, paying guys for past performance is a bad idea. I only want to pay them well if they perform well, like the players like to say it's a business.
notes34

Kang and Harrison

Post by notes34 »

584042454552434459584E2B0 wrote: I hope they keep Kang. I think he can help them. Obviously 5 mil is too much to take that gamble. But it would be nice to re-sign him at a lower price with incentives. If they don't, I'm sure some other organization will take a chance on him. Having had to deal with a new culture coming from Korea to Pittsburgh, and having the Pirates give him another chance last season, I suspect he would prefer to stay there rather than going to a new city to live and play.

Agree load up a incentive package for him if he performs, pay him, if not pay the minimum.  I don't know why all contracts aren't that way, paying guys for past performance is a bad idea.  I only want to pay them well if they perform well, like the players like to say it's a business.

Absolutely agree.
Bobster21

Kang and Harrison

Post by Bobster21 »

392123242433222538392F4A0 wrote: I hope they keep Kang. I think he can help them. Obviously 5 mil is too much to take that gamble. But it would be nice to re-sign him at a lower price with incentives. If they don't, I'm sure some other organization will take a chance on him. Having had to deal with a new culture coming from Korea to Pittsburgh, and having the Pirates give him another chance last season, I suspect he would prefer to stay there rather than going to a new city to live and play.

Agree load up a incentive package for him if he performs, pay him, if not pay the minimum.  I don't know why all contracts aren't that way, paying guys for past performance is a bad idea.  I only want to pay them well if they perform well, like the players like to say it's a business.

They only say that when it benefits them! :)
BucsFaninGA

Kang and Harrison

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Bobster, I totally agree, change would be a big factor. It would be for me if I were in Kang's shoes. I would think Neal Huntington is also looking at signing him to a cheaper deal due to that factor, Kang's age, and off the field issues. Face it, in this day and age you get very few chances and burning a bridge with Pirates might not yield immediate results and a big league contract with the other clubs. Anxious to see what happens this matter. I believe this matter may trigger other moves by our brain thrust in the off season to come. Beat'em Bucs :D
Ecbucs

Kang and Harrison

Post by Ecbucs »

0B3C2A3A0F282720270E08490 wrote: Bobster, I totally agree, change would be a big factor. It would be for me if I were in Kang's shoes. I would think Neal Huntington is also looking at signing him to a cheaper deal due to that factor, Kang's age, and off the field issues. Face it, in this day and age you get very few chances and burning a bridge with Pirates might not yield immediate results and a big league contract with the other clubs. Anxious to see what happens this matter. I believe this matter may trigger other moves by our brain thrust in the off season to come. Beat'em Bucs :D

I have been wrong before but it seems like if the Bucs were going to sign Kang for less they would have done so by now. Why even let him look for other offers (competition for players usually doesn't turn out well for Bucs).

He could probably make close to two million in Korea. So the Bucs may be willing to sign him for 3 million. I would think other teams would too especially if they are not concerned with his off the field issues.

Trevor Rosenthal who didn't pitch in 2018, wasn't great in 2017 or 2016 signed for 7 million with the Nats.
notes34

Kang and Harrison

Post by notes34 »

5A7C7D6A7C6C1F0 wrote: Bobster, I totally agree, change would be a big factor. It would be for me if I were in Kang's shoes. I would think Neal Huntington is also looking at signing him to a cheaper deal due to that factor, Kang's age, and off the field issues. Face it, in this day and age you get very few chances and burning a bridge with Pirates might not yield immediate results and a big league contract with the other clubs. Anxious to see what happens this matter. I believe this matter may trigger other moves by our brain thrust in the off season to come. Beat'em Bucs :D

I have been wrong before but it seems like if the Bucs were going to sign Kang for less they would have done so by now.  Why even let him look for other offers (competition for players usually doesn't turn out well for Bucs). 

He could probably make close to two million in Korea.  So the Bucs may be willing to sign him for 3 million.  I would think other teams would too especially if they are not concerned with his off the field issues.

Trevor Rosenthal who didn't pitch in 2018, wasn't great in 2017 or 2016 signed for 7 million with the Nats.

Yeah I think if they were bringing him back it would already be done.
mouse

Kang and Harrison

Post by mouse »

That certainly is the case with Freese, who went back with the Dodgers after they declined his option. He gets five million instead of six as a result, but does get a salary he's happy with. Maybe Kang wants to shop around first, to see if whatever NH is offering is the best he can do.
CTBucco

Kang and Harrison

Post by CTBucco »

I don't know if the rules allow it, but assuming they do, you would think the FO would have been negotiating this all with Kang ahead of the deadline. I would have expected them to almost immediately announce the new contract - unless he and his agent decided that they might as well test the FA waters. His floor is probably $2M to play back in Korea. So his risk is whatever the Bucs offered him over that. And he can always take the Bucs offer later as long as they don't pull it.

They have until the end of today to re-sign him before he hits the open market.

I am in favor of keeping Kang, but I seriously doubt it will happen now. I don't think they will be able to find a guy with his ceiling (top 8 3Bman?) for $5M. Freddy Galvis made $6.8M last year with a .690 OPS. Galvis gives you better D as a MIF, so he may be the one option available at a similar cost. I also believe that Kang's floor, despite not having played for 2 years, is better than S-Rod's '18 by quite a bit and probably about Galvis' '18. I think he's a better version of Freese with more upside for less money.