Potential OF's Available to Fill RF til Polanco returns

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

2D2F353325400 wrote: My hope would be that they want a good glove. The Pirates give up a lot of runs due to sloppy play, bad play, and sometimes just strange play. It would be nice to see people who can actually play defense at their position. The Cardinals have always prided themselves on good defense as the backbone of their team. They feel this season's difficulties can be traced in part to weakened defense. Maybe we can take a lesson from their playbook and tighten things ourselves.

Cutting down the amount of wild pitches might help that.

As far as Stallings, he is a dime a dozen. As someone said, rosters shouldn't be hampered by a decision on Jacob Stallings. He isn't anything that can't be replaced.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

We can't keep 3 catchers out of fear of losing Stallings. If he's good enough to be somebody else's #2, then trade him. Otherwise, bring him back on a MiLB contract as we did with Lavarnway this year.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Stallings is a fringe major leaguer. He'll be 29 in December and hasn't yet established himself. He's in the perfect role for him: minor league insurance in case the major league team needs a backup catcher. Those guys are a dime a dozen. I like Stallings but he seems to have reached his ceiling.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: Stallings is a fringe major leaguer. He'll be 29 in December and hasn't yet established himself. He's in the perfect role for him: minor league insurance in case the major league team needs a backup catcher. Those guys are a dime a dozen. I like Stallings but he seems to have reached his ceiling. 
I think ten years down the road he's going to manage.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

022F22333425327271400 wrote: Stallings is a fringe major leaguer. He'll be 29 in December and hasn't yet established himself. He's in the perfect role for him: minor league insurance in case the major league team needs a backup catcher. Those guys are a dime a dozen. I like Stallings but he seems to have reached his ceiling. 

While I don't totally disagree with your point Bobster I do keep in mind that Cervelli is just one concussion away from being done as a catcher. There is really nobody in the Bucs minor league system who can fill the role of a depth catcher like Stallings right now. If not for Cervelli I say so what you can if he is not claimed by another team next ST to keep him in the system as an emergency catcher. Also never forget the guy who has been sharing the majority of the Brewers, yes the NL Central Division Champs, one Erik Kratz. A former Buc and very much a journeyman catcher. No matter I will not bitch and moan if they do end up loosing Stallings.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0E2F270E252D4A0 wrote: Stallings is a fringe major leaguer. He'll be 29 in December and hasn't yet established himself. He's in the perfect role for him: minor league insurance in case the major league team needs a backup catcher. Those guys are a dime a dozen. I like Stallings but he seems to have reached his ceiling. 

While I don't totally disagree with your point Bobster I do keep in mind that Cervelli is just one concussion away from being done as a catcher.  There is really nobody in the Bucs minor league system who can fill the role of a depth catcher like Stallings right now.  If not for Cervelli I say so what you can if he is not claimed by another team next ST to keep him in the system as an emergency catcher.  Also never forget the guy who has been sharing the majority of the Brewers, yes the NL Central Division Champs, one Erik Kratz.  A former Buc and very much a journeyman catcher.  No matter I will not bitch and moan if they do end up loosing Stallings.
Yes, if they can keep Stallings in AAA as insurance, that's a good role for him. If they can't keep him, there's always journeymen like Kratz or Lavarnway who can be signed to fill that emergency role. There's no way they'll keep 3 catchers next year just to ensure they don't lose Stallings. From Stallings' POV, the Pirate organization is a good fit for him because it's doubtful another org would make him one of their 25 and the AAA catcher providing insurance for when Cervelli gets hurt will get to spend time in MLB.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

MLB Trade Rumors says the Marlins may not tender Derek Dietrich, in which case he'd be a great add for us - better than Marwin Gonzalez.

Also read in Bucs Dugout that Stallings has another option, so we don't need to worry about losing him unless we keep 3 catchers. That's good for Stalliongs and for Pirates fans.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

163C37073026262A450 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors says the Marlins may not tender Derek Dietrich, in which case he'd be a great add for us - better than Marwin Gonzalez.

Also read in Bucs Dugout that Stallings has another option, so we don't need to worry about losing him unless we keep 3 catchers. That's good for Stalliongs and for Pirates fans.

Dietrich is the kind of player that it would be worth sending a low ranking prospect to get rights to offer him arbitration. I think he could do better than arbitration on free agent market.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Dietrich would be a good player to attempt to acquire. Gonzalez from the Astros is another interesting player. I would assume that the Pirates have a list of players who are on their wish list. I would hope these two players as well as Matt Adams would be on their short list of hitters to attempt to acquire.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4F69687F69790A0 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors says the Marlins may not tender Derek Dietrich, in which case he'd be a great add for us - better than Marwin Gonzalez.

Dietrich is the kind of player that it would be worth sending a low ranking prospect to get rights to offer him arbitration.  I think he could do better than arbitration on free agent market. 

If you gave him an entire year instead of 400 at bats like Florida has done, he is a 20-homer guy that adds some versatility. Not a bad option.