Bryce Harper's contract is for thirteen years.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

The owners worked for years to get the passage of a law that would exempt them from some labor laws so they could continue to depress minor league pay. It passed last year. I really doubt they give that up.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

50585B6C7A5F7877190 wrote: The 2021 strike can't come soon enough for me.  shut it all down

-Auto strike zone

-Arb sooner. FA sooner

-Soft Salary floor (with draft pick penalties for going under)

-Soft Salary cap  (with luxury tax penalties for going over)

-Minor league pay minimum dramatically increased.

-More revenue sharing

-DH both leagues

-26 team roster until Sept - 13 pitcher roster limit (6 man rotation possible)

Also, sharks with friggen laser beams attached to their heads and 1 free beer/beverage included in the ticket price per MLB guidelines.   

P.S.  I would certainly take a hard cap and hard floor, but it seems impossible for multiple reasons.  Not least of which includes our fearless owner and the rest of the "small market gang" not challenging the system.

1. Auto Strike zone, yes

2. Arb/FA sooner, no...this will hurt the Pirates

3. Soft salary floor/cap, yes

4. MiLB pay increase, yes

5. DH both leagues, absolutely not. I hate, loathe, despise (pick a stronger adjective if you can think of one) the DH. There’s no strategy. I can’t watch the AL game. I hate it. I’m sure the NL will eventually get the DH, but I dread that day. #banthedh

6. 26 man roster, no...I think it’s perfect at 25.

I don't like the DH either, but if it's a trade-off to get a better economic system I would . . . . hmm, consider it (can't get myself to commit fully).

I wouldn’t do it...it’s not the system, it’s the owner. The Pirates rake in dough. Comparable teams in comparable markets spend more than the Bucs. I honestly don’t think the economic system will have any impact as long as Nutting is signing the checks, or lack thereof.

The DH takes a major strategic element out of the game. The AL game is about sitting back and just waiting for a three run bomb. No moving runners over, no working around somebody to get to the pitcher, no having to decide if you want to pull a guy for a pinch hitter or keep him in, giving up a potential big inning. In short, it’s boring. But even though I’m a millennial, I guess I’m not the “right” kind of millennial that MLB is appealing to.

If MLB really wants to appeal,to a younger generation, stop worrying about pace of play, trying to increase offense, etc, etc, etc. Just get rid of blackouts...here’s a novel idea...give fans access to your games!

No, it's beyond the owner. KC reached the top, right? They have good ownership and good management. In the end it doesn't matter, they have to sell off while other richer teams don't. Did they suddenly turn stupid and cheap? Nah. Yes good for them for getting there. I do not think it is fair that teams like that have to suck for a half of a decade after doing so while a boston or new york or chicago or LA have a chance to become a dynasty.

LA has an EIGHT BILLION DOLLAR TV contract.

Other leagues also have really crummy franchises as well as really good steady ones, but it's based mostly on merit. Maybe the Pirates would or would not succeed more, I don't know, but at least it would be more possible.

As far as your comments about accessibility, I agree totally. Maybe MLB will break with Big Time Cable and start offering their internet streaming in-market. Yeah, I know, fatchance.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4562694A070 wrote: The owners worked for years to get the passage of a law that would exempt them from some labor laws so they could continue to depress minor league pay. It passed last year. I really doubt they give that up.

Here's an article from last year:

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/04/05/ ... e-over-pay

In a fact sheet, MLB listed average pay for minor league players, ranging from $1,300 per month in the lowest A-level leagues, to $10,000 per month in Triple A. MLB also pointed out that players get one-time signing bonuses ranging from thousands to tens of thousands of dollars.

Broshuis said he believes his players’ class action lawsuit can proceed under state laws that call for more extensive labor protections than federal law provides.

Sharon Block, executive director of the Labor and Worklife Program at Harvard Law School and an Obama administration appointee to the National Labor Relations Board, said that because many minor league players are paid such a low salary — in some cases working out to less than minimum wage for all the hours worked — their lawsuit should proceed.

“We are talking about paying people $7.25 per hour, and time-and-a half when they work over forty hours. These are just bedrock principles of minimum standards,” Block said. And she said that not paying players during spring training flies in the face of other labor law precedent. “Generally, if you are in training and it is for the employer’s benefit, meaning you’re learning to do your job better, you have to be compensated.”

Sports lawyer Kenneth Shropshire, who directs the Global Sport Institute at Arizona State University, explained the team owners’ rationale: “If you put in place a regular hourly wage, the amount of time that a ballplayer wants to put in to be great — come in early, stay late — could never be covered, that it would far exceed 40 hours per week.”

Shropshire added: “Economists would say, this is what the market will allow. Although, the minor league baseball players’ lawsuit sort of shows there is a dislike of the marketplace.”

But he believes the owners’ stance resonates with many in the public, including baseball fans: “Isn’t it a luxury to be able to be a professional baseball player — you’re so fortunate to be able to do so, here’s the sacrifice you have to make, but look at the upside if you are successful in the end,” Shropshire said.

Jared Eichelberger, 34, played for the Mets’ and Mariners’ minor league teams from 2005-2007. His father was a professional ballplayer as well.

Eichelberger said living on a minor league salary was a struggle. During the off-season he coached and did moving, construction, and odd jobs.

When the season started, he scrimped and saved on food: “Apples, oranges, bananas, peanut butter and jelly — you’d rush in after batting practice, try to make friends with the concessions people, do whatever you could to eat, because it was almost survival.”

Eichelberger now runs a baseball training business in San Diego. He said if he were a player today, he’d probably support Broshuis’s class-action lawsuit.

But he doesn’t regret having played for peanuts. “There’s nothing like hearing your name on the stadium loudspeaker, putting on your uniform,” he said. “Playing professional baseball was an awesome experience.”

He called those years of living lean a “rite of passage,” well worth the hardship for a shot at the majors.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

There's no way an owner wants to pay increased wages to his farm system players. The Pirates, for example, have teams in AAA, AA, high A, low A, short season, and 2 rookie league teams. Where would that additional money come from? Imagine how much lower the Pirates' payroll would be if Nutting has to spend more money on the minors. I don't think even the big spending teams would want to earmark a portion of their profits for the minors instead of using that money to lure another free agent.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

The only problem I have with a strike is how does it affect the MiLB teams? I would go for it as long as they do not touch the MiLB season. I do remember the 1981 strike very well. MiLB was not affected because I was able to watch the Richmond Braves on WTBS (now TBS) with Skip Carey, Sr and Ernie Johnson doing the PBP and Color. Our own Larry McWilliams was a key starter for the Richmond Braves that year. It was my first introduction to MiLB and I have been a fan ever since.