Hurdle

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Hurdle

Post by Bobster21 »

4641575F5146010D745359555D581A575B59340 wrote:

So far, this is not the season to be complaining about Clint.  He's done a very good job to this point.  I've complained a lot in the past, but it's only fair to give him credit when he deserves it. 

Today is an example: I think pulling Archer was the right move after 5 innings even though it shortened the bench when they would have benefited greatly with another pinch hitter available late.  In the 5th inning, no one knew whether the Pirates would need a pinch hitter in the 9th, but he did have the opportunity to score in the bottom of the 5th with a man on 2nd.  That was a play to win and even though it did not work, I think it was the right move.
It's very strange that they are going with a 4-man bench that includes the backup catcher and an injured Frazier. Hard to believe Brault is more important than having adequate reserves on the bench. That's on the GM.
rucker59@gmail.com

Hurdle

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

220F02131405125251600 wrote:

So far, this is not the season to be complaining about Clint.  He's done a very good job to this point.  I've complained a lot in the past, but it's only fair to give him credit when he deserves it. 

Today is an example: I think pulling Archer was the right move after 5 innings even though it shortened the bench when they would have benefited greatly with another pinch hitter available late.  In the 5th inning, no one knew whether the Pirates would need a pinch hitter in the 9th, but he did have the opportunity to score in the bottom of the 5th with a man on 2nd.  That was a play to win and even though it did not work, I think it was the right move.
It's very strange that they are going with a 4-man bench that includes the backup catcher and an injured Frazier. Hard to believe Brault is more important than having adequate reserves on the bench. That's on the GM.

Absolutely agree with this point. While not as bad, this reminds me of the Pirates trying to get by with two OFers a couple years ago!
SammyKhalifa

Hurdle

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0A2C2D3A2C3C4F0 wrote: The earlier managers didn't have the benefit of a wild card, but similarly Hurdle's teams didn't have the benefit of being in a two-division NL; where they would have likely won at least one NL East title with a direct trip to the NLCS.  I think his legacy would look a lot different, probably viewed on par with Leyland's (as a Pirate manager only, obv Jim Leyland went on to win a WS later).

why would two divisions make it easier?  The team was competing against 5 other teams in the division.  I think it is easier now to get into post season but harder to get into Series.

It was not the two divisions specifically but rather teh bad luck of what teams were in those divisions. Generally I think you're right.