Dickerson to Phils

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Dickerson to Phils

Post by MaineBucs »

Hard to believe that they couldn't find a 'landing spot' for Liriano when you look at the long list of relievers who were traded in the last few days. The Braves alone added 3 relievers in less than 48 hours.

I don't know the mindset of any of the current players, but I've got to believe that if you offered a veteran pitcher the opportunity to pitch for a contender, a chance for a ring and some additional (play-off) money as well, that they would think that this is a good thing compared to being on a team that most recently lost 9 games in a row.
SammyKhalifa

Dickerson to Phils

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I mean I find it hard to believe too, but then again I know little . . .
BenM

Dickerson to Phils

Post by BenM »

62505C5C487A59505D585750310 wrote: *shrug*

Adam Berry

@adamdberry

One thing to add regarding Liriano and Melky: NH went straight to the "veteran presence" answer re: why they weren't traded, presumably out of respect for both veterans/pending FAs, but my understanding is they looked to find landing spots with contenders and couldn't find a fit.

Yeah. Fifty four games of veteran presence is really going to make a difference for the franchise.

UtahPirate

Dickerson to Phils

Post by UtahPirate »

My impression of the Trade Deadline was there wasn't as much activity as I would have thought. With no waiver wire trades this year it seemed like there would be a lot of movement. A few teams that are either leading their division or in the WC race made a couple of moves, but a most didn't seem to do anything at all. Outside of the Greinke deal, it was pretty boring. Madbum stayed and the Dodgers wouldn't budge (love to see them melt in the late innings for the 3rd year in a row).

The current mindset seems to be to protect your prospects, which is keeping teams more conservative than they were in the past -- the Dodgers being a good example. So no Liriano, no Melky is not that surprising.
Bobster21

Dickerson to Phils

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm sure they could have got the same amount of nothing for Liriano and Cabrera that they got for Dickerson. But they shed more salary by dumping Dickerson for the remainder of the season. Also, I think NH's 2 main jobs are to (1) run the team in the manner that maximizes Nutting's profits and (2) spin it to the fans as best he can that it's not about running the team in the manner that maximizes Nutting's profits. In this instance, he essentially gives away a very good player which saves about 2.7 mil this season while telling the fans that he still cares enough about this year's team to see the value in keeping the veteran presence of Liriano and Cabrera. Maybe they tried and couldn't find a taker. Or maybe Nutting was satisfied to save on Dickerson's salary and wouldn't have saved that much anyway on the other 2. Which gives NH the opportunity to tell the fans that they haven't punted on the season and the proof of that is that they wanted that veteran presence on the team for the rest of this season. NH operates on a slippery slope but he took the 4 year extension to continue what he's been doing.
Ecbucs

Dickerson to Phils

Post by Ecbucs »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: I'm sure they could have got the same amount of nothing for Liriano and Cabrera that they got for Dickerson. But they shed more salary by dumping Dickerson for the remainder of the season. Also, I think NH's 2 main jobs are to (1) run the team in the manner that maximizes Nutting's profits and (2) spin it to the fans as best he can that it's not about running the team in the manner that maximizes Nutting's profits. In this instance, he essentially gives away a very good player which saves about 2.7 mil this season while telling the fans that he still cares enough about this year's team to see the value in keeping the veteran presence of Liriano and Cabrera. Maybe they tried and couldn't find a taker. Or maybe Nutting was satisfied to save on Dickerson's salary and wouldn't have saved that much anyway on the other 2. Which gives NH the opportunity to tell the fans that they haven't punted on the season and the proof of that is that they wanted that veteran presence on the team for the rest of this season. NH operates on a slippery slope but he took the 4 year extension to continue what he's been doing.   

I was surprised Melky didn't go to Oakland or Atlanta. This trade deadline reminds me of Littlefield and how he kept Reggie Sanders at deadline even though he knew he was gone at end of season.
dmetz

Dickerson to Phils

Post by dmetz »

222338293F7F784C0 wrote: what difference does it really make guys?   The best news today was that Nightmare wasn't traded.

That means there's still an outside chance NH can be canned this offseason, and someone else can take a shot at trading from a position of value.    Because he sure as h3ll can't do it successfully.   

It's over.  For a while.  at least 2 years. But if everyone shows up and stays healthy next year and we get production from the young guys and the pitching staff rebounds, and Bell doesn't regress (as he's doing now), and Newman and Reynolds can keep hitting over .300... we've got a chance at .500 ish ball by the deadline.

Which means we're "competing".   That's all we can really ask for, right?  a "competitive" team?   Being in a position to add at the deadline = winner.
Yep a dominant closer is essential when your in last place! >:(

When I look at the returns on Cole, Walker, Jason Bay, and how badly we got raked on Archer, why would I want NH to be the one trading Nightmare?   

Even the surprising bright diamonds this year, Reynolds and newman, were surprises to our FO too.   

-We had Newman as a utilityman upside, traded a decent OF prospect (Luplow) and Org fodder for whathisface from the indians just to block him and wait on Tucker.  

So much of what this guy touches now turns to dust.   The players he's working around end or analyzing as longshots or filler end up doing well, while the players he tried to obtain or build around, flop.     I don't want him anywhere near a value trade.    Give someone else a chance. 

There's no point in caring. I couldn't have been more wrong about the individual players performances this year, but ultimately we're a much worse team than I expected. Much worse.

There's no chance we're in it next year. best case would be a couple seasons if we actually can WIN SOME HIGH LEVERAGE TRADES.

So who is able to win us some trades when selling value?
SyrBucco

Dickerson to Phils

Post by SyrBucco »

Like most Pirate fans, I'm underwhelmed at the Dickerson trade return. However, there's still a chance I might like it. The Phillies have three catchers among their top 30 prospects. If the PTBNL is one of them, then I think I'll be OK with the deal.
johnfluharty

Dickerson to Phils

Post by johnfluharty »

I'm a little surprised he hasn't appeared in a game yet.
JollyRoger

Dickerson to Phils

Post by JollyRoger »

060F071618620 wrote: what difference does it really make guys?   The best news today was that Nightmare wasn't traded.

That means there's still an outside chance NH can be canned this offseason, and someone else can take a shot at trading from a position of value.    Because he sure as h3ll can't do it successfully.   

It's over.  For a while.  at least 2 years. But if everyone shows up and stays healthy next year and we get production from the young guys and the pitching staff rebounds, and Bell doesn't regress (as he's doing now), and Newman and Reynolds can keep hitting over .300... we've got a chance at .500 ish ball by the deadline.

Which means we're "competing".   That's all we can really ask for, right?  a "competitive" team?   Being in a position to add at the deadline = winner.
Yep a dominant closer is essential when your in last place! >:(

When I look at the returns on Cole, Walker, Jason Bay, and how badly we got raked on Archer, why would I want NH to be the one trading Nightmare?   

Even the surprising bright diamonds this year, Reynolds and newman, were surprises to our FO too.   

-We had Newman as a utilityman upside, traded a decent OF prospect (Luplow) and Org fodder for whathisface from the indians just to block him and wait on Tucker.  

So much of what this guy touches now turns to dust.   The players he's working around end or analyzing as longshots or filler end up doing well, while the players he tried to obtain or build around, flop.     I don't want him anywhere near a value trade.    Give someone else a chance. 

There's no point in caring.   I couldn't have been more wrong about the individual players performances this year, but ultimately we're a much worse team than I expected.   Much worse.      

There's no chance we're in it next year.   best case would be a couple seasons if we actually can WIN SOME HIGH LEVERAGE TRADES.

So who is able to win us some trades when selling value?

Dmetz: You are spot on with your comments!