Frank Coonelly Leaving?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I'm doubtful that Ogden Nutting is losing sleep over the team. Their budgeting seems consistent for 25 years now., including the time when the Nuttings were buying all the stock they could.
fjk090852-7

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If they fire Huntington on Monday they better move quickly to hire a new GM, and then he hires a field manager. Yes, ST is less than 5 months away, but the offseason involves setting the roster, the Winter Meetings, and possible free agent signings. I would think the team would not want to delay with making these hirings, and eventually a new scouting director as well as any assistants to the new GM. Since Travis Williams does not have a baseball background, he may not have strong knowledge of good baseball executives to bring on board. Hiring a replacement GM could involve a few weeks to gather information, and then begin the interview process.
mouse

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by mouse »

Or, like with Coonley, they could have someone else already selected and waiting in the wings for it to become official.
DemDog

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by DemDog »

517C71606776612122130 wrote: My fear is that Williams could have been asked if he was comfortable with NH as a condition for taking the job. Williams is not a baseball man. How could he be expected to select a better GM and overhaul the organization with no knowledge of baseball, how things are done or who is best to do them? I've been reading that Coonelly took a hands on approach to the baseball side but that Williams will focus on the business aspects. I think a better GM is needed but I don't see how Williams is the guy to accomplish that.   

We talk about Nutting spending money. I don't care how much they spend on players and development with NH in charge it ain't gonna work as you say. I urge Nutting to add one more level to upper management by hiring a VP of Baseball operations to do the overall baseball stuff. Then hire a GM if needed. I think Nutting has respect among the owners and the commish that they will want the Bucs to succeed and will help him find a guy to run BB Operations.

The only bad result is that if they tear things down and start again you and I will most likely see a WS winner in our lifetimes.
MaineBucs

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by MaineBucs »

My concerns are similar to fk's comments --- it is already getting a bit late to be hiring a new president, a new GM and a new manager who realistically are going to be able to chart a different course for 2020, particularly if they have no resources to work with.

And, if Nutting was unwilling to open the pursue strings for the BMTIB, why is he going to trust the new guys with even more money. Sadly, 2020 may need to be a punt year from day 1, and to provide the new management folks time to regroup.
Ecbucs

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by Ecbucs »

1E323A3D3611263020530 wrote: My concerns are similar to fk's comments --- it is already getting a bit late to be hiring a new president, a new GM and a new manager who realistically are going to be able to chart a different course for 2020, particularly if they have no resources to work with.

And, if Nutting was unwilling to open the pursue strings for the BMTIB, why is he going to trust the new guys with even more money.   Sadly, 2020 may need to be a punt year from day 1, and to provide the new management folks time to regroup. 

a different course for 2020 isn't going to help much so I am not concerned about new guys punting right away.

I want new guys to come in and who have a better plan and are better able to implement it than what NH and crew have done.

I agree about the purse strings. The only way a new crew is going to get more money is if someone established is hired and they make additional resources a requirement to take the job. (which means it isn't likely to happen).