Huntington Out

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Huntington Out

Post by johnfluharty »

I got the same impression pmike. Maybe Nutting was just too patient with Huntington. I won't totally believe he will let the team go in the red until I see it though.
Bobster21

Huntington Out

Post by Bobster21 »

I believe Nutting was sincere in describing the process by which CH, NH and FC were all let go but it shows how unprepared he was to overhaul the organization. He knew CH had to go and then NH conducted manager interviews. Then Coonelly was let go while Nutting said he was quite satisfied with NH. But that should have been left to the new president. Williams obviously wanted NH gone ASAP. Which meant the manager interviews had wasted everyone's time since the candidates liked or disliked by NH could be quite opposite what the next GM will think. There was no need to rush the firing of CH prior to the final game. So there was no reason to rush the manager interviews by a GM who would shortly be fired by a new president who hadn't yet been named.

So I think Nutting was sincere in how he explained those 3 moves but also showed how those decisions were made with no appreciation of how subsequent hires would impact the process of replacing those people. It's like someone honestly and sincerely explaining something he did that was completely wrong.
Ecbucs

Huntington Out

Post by Ecbucs »

0A272A3B3C2D3A7A79480 wrote: I believe Nutting was sincere in describing the process by which CH, NH and FC were all let go but it shows how unprepared he was to overhaul the organization. He knew CH had to go and then NH conducted manager interviews. Then Coonelly was let go while  Nutting said he was quite satisfied with NH. But that should have been left to the new president. Williams obviously wanted NH gone ASAP. Which meant the manager interviews had wasted everyone's time since the candidates liked or disliked by NH could be quite opposite what the next GM will think. There was no need to rush the firing of CH prior to the final game. So there was no reason to rush the manager interviews by a GM who would shortly be fired by a new president who hadn't yet been named.

So I think Nutting was sincere in how he explained those 3 moves but also showed how those decisions were made with no appreciation of how subsequent hires would impact the process of replacing those people. It's like someone honestly and sincerely explaining something he did that was completely wrong.

remember how Neal was doing a total organizational review? I wonder how far along he got?
johnfluharty

Huntington Out

Post by johnfluharty »

The whole process does seem a bit scatterbrained.
johnfluharty

Huntington Out

Post by johnfluharty »

Someone may have already brought this up but I also wonder how those guys who were interviewed feel now that the guy who interviewed them was fired. Maybe an eyeroll? Any chance that any of them actually still sign up with this group?
Ecbucs

Huntington Out

Post by Ecbucs »

6D686F69616B726F6675737E070 wrote: Someone may have already brought this up but I also wonder how those guys who were interviewed feel now that the guy who interviewed them was fired.  Maybe an eyeroll?  Any chance that any of them actually still sign up with this group?

Some of them are being considered by other teams. I doubt if any will wait accepting another offer for a chance to get the Pirate job later.
Bobster21

Huntington Out

Post by Bobster21 »

6461666068627B666F7C7A770E0 wrote: Someone may have already brought this up but I also wonder how those guys who were interviewed feel now that the guy who interviewed them was fired.  Maybe an eyeroll?  Any chance that any of them actually still sign up with this group?
I think anyone interested in managing a constantly payroll challenged team like the Pirates wants to manage very badly. So badly, they would even take the Pirates job. So while I'm sure none of the previously interviewed candidates would turn down any other offer, they would likely still manage the Pirates if offered the job by the new regime if they hadn't been hired by anyone else by then.
DemDog

Huntington Out

Post by DemDog »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: Someone may have already brought this up but I also wonder how those guys who were interviewed feel now that the guy who interviewed them was fired.  Maybe an eyeroll?  Any chance that any of them actually still sign up with this group?
I think anyone interested in managing a constantly payroll challenged team like the Pirates wants to manage very badly. So badly, they would even take the Pirates job. So while I'm sure none of the previously interviewed candidates would turn down any other offer, they would likely still manage the Pirates if offered the job by the new regime if they hadn't been hired by anyone else by then.

Uh, kinda sounds that Nutting and his new boys will continue the dumpster diving technique. This time for a new manager and not players!
mouse

Huntington Out

Post by mouse »

This should be an interesting next few days, especially since the interim GM has no idea (presumably) what approach the next GM will want to take. Players who are eligible to be free agents can become so one day after the world series ends and the 40-man deadline is five (5) days after, which would be November 4. We likely will be seeing a lot of DFAs across the league
BenM

Huntington Out

Post by BenM »

123F32232435226261500 wrote: Someone may have already brought this up but I also wonder how those guys who were interviewed feel now that the guy who interviewed them was fired.  Maybe an eyeroll?  Any chance that any of them actually still sign up with this group?

I think a new president makes the manager's job a much more attractive prospect. First of all, you don't have to worry about the guy who hired you being fired next year. Secondly, it's a chance to help develop a brand new team structure.