D-backs closing in on Marte trade (report)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

0B2E2D2D38132E262433410 wrote: Sorry folks, but I am throughly disgusted by this trade. Any trade with Arizona that did not bring back Varsho is a loser. We need a good catcher not another SS prospect and an enigma RH starter.

We received the D- Backs 9th and 18th prospects none of which cracked MLB top 100. Plus we shell out 1.5M for 250K in Int’l bonus money. I give BC an F in his first trade.

Depends on who you ask. BA has them as #7 and 9. Another publication has them as #5 and 10, and the D-Backs system is deep. Personally, I think we have to trust BC's track record in Boston and Toronto and think he knows a thing or two about this. Trading Marte was necessary. Now, get on the horn and start looking to deal Musgrove, Bell, and maybe even Reynolds. Tear the whole thing down and start over.
Bottom line is that this trade did nothing to address positional depth in the organization. We needed to address Catcher and LH pitching. Varsho should have been a given as part of a return.

Totally agree here.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

I'll go down in the record by saying I like the 2 prospects we received.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

0010112630303C530 wrote: Sorry folks, but I am throughly disgusted by this trade. Any trade with Arizona that did not bring back Varsho is a loser. We need a good catcher not another SS prospect and an enigma RH starter.

We received the D- Backs 9th and 18th prospects none of which cracked MLB top 100. Plus we shell out 1.5M for 250K in Int’l bonus money. I give BC an F in his first trade.

Depends on who you ask. BA has them as #7 and 9. Another publication has them as #5 and 10, and the D-Backs system is deep. Personally, I think we have to trust BC's track record in Boston and Toronto and think he knows a thing or two about this. Trading Marte was necessary. Now, get on the horn and start looking to deal Musgrove, Bell, and maybe even Reynolds. Tear the whole thing down and start over.
Bottom line is that this trade did nothing to address positional depth in the organization. We needed to address Catcher and LH pitching. Varsho should have been a given as part of a return.

Totally agree here.

I am just trying to imagine if this was a trade that NH made! I think most of the "likes" would be screaming instead.

Two 19 year olds? Wow, not the way I imagined BC would start out.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Yeah, but don't worry, we're going to kick ass in 2029.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

565E5D6A7C597E711F0 wrote: Sorry folks, but I am throughly disgusted by this trade. Any trade with Arizona that did not bring back Varsho is a loser. We need a good catcher not another SS prospect and an enigma RH starter.

I’ve not seen either ranked as a top 100 prospect. Whether they’re 6-9 or 11-19 in the DBacks system (I’ve seen both) these are two middlin prospects.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7D5C494078415A495C4D280 wrote: Sorry folks, but I am throughly disgusted by this trade. Any trade with Arizona that did not bring back Varsho is a loser. We need a good catcher not another SS prospect and an enigma RH starter.

Totally agree here.

I am just trying to imagine if this was a trade that NH made! I think most of the "likes" would be screaming instead.

Two 19 year olds? Wow, not the way I imagined BC would start out.

He could have gotten closer MLB ready talent, but chose to go this direction for a specific reason. He knows this organization is lousy and its going to take a while to rebuild. By the time the closer MLB ready guys are hitting their stride, we lose them in free agency because our owner is trash, so he is buying time.

The question is, will the fans of this organization continue to support Nutting and his franchise with this plan? At the TDL, if he moves Bell for a package of similar aged guys - maybe another prospect thrown in, another deal we won't yield anything from for four or five years ... and knowing our owner won't allow GM to go shopping on good free agents ...
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Marte should have been traded three years ago. For some reason Neil valued Marte much higher than he was worth. There are two years left on a $24M contract for a 3.0 WAR player that’s been nailed for PEDs and regularly takes plays off.

The Pirates shed $24M and got two Middlin prospects. If the Pirates wanted more they needed to pick up a significant part of Marte’s contract. They can’t send Marte AND $22.5M to the Dback and expect a huge return.

I’ll say it again - Marte should have been traded instead of Meadows. I wish there was more in return. But I’m just glad his lazy butt has moved on.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

686F79717F682F235A7D777B7376347975771A0 wrote: Marte should have been traded three years ago.   For some reason Neil valued Marte much higher than he was worth.  There are two years left on a $24M contract for a 3.0 WAR player that’s been nailed for PEDs and regularly takes plays off. 

The Pirates shed $24M and got two Middlin prospects.  If the Pirates wanted more they needed to pick up a significant part of Marte’s contract.  They can’t send Marte AND $22.5M to the Dback and expect a huge return. 

I’ll say it again - Marte should have been traded instead of Meadows. I wish there was more in return.  But I’m just glad his lazy butt has moved on.

Everything I've read is that Marte's salary is a plus. He is getting paid less than other outfielders that are his peers. Look at Marcel Ozuna, he is getting $18 million.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

I posted in another thread (or maybe another site?) that I thought BC would either build around Keller, Hayes, Reynolds, Tucker, Newman or build for Priester plus all of the lower level guys. I never expected him to try to build on the current roster for this year and next because there are too many (expensive) holes to fill.

It looks like we have our answer about which way BC is going. I, like everyone here, hate that we have another 3+ years of crappy MLB team to live through. But I think this was the right decision to get us to a team that has a real chance to compete. It may also mean that the tear down could go deeper than Marte, Frazier, Bell, Archer, etc. I won’t be surprised if Reynolds, Keller, etc are all traded in the next year or two.

Peguero and Malone have very high upsides. When I saw Ariz as a possible trade partner, I too wanted Varsho. But if the plan is to compete in 3-4 years, getting another potential TOR SP prospect is vital. We probably need 4-6 of them over 2-3 years/levels to have a real chance at getting two actual TOR pitchers in the rotation simultaneously. And that is, and always will be under BN, one thing we absolutely have to get from our minors. We can afford to buy a 3-5 SPy to round out the rotation. We can find bullpen help. We can afford 1-2 position player vets to lengthen the lineup or improve the bench. The other thing we will need is 3+ stud (.900 OPS) hitters. That’s another commodity this team will not be able to buy at the MLB level.

To me, the two high upside prospects BC got are on similar timelines and could fill two of those must haves. At least BC has gotten high upside prospects. If you wanted an immediately competitive MLB team, none of that makes you feel any better though.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

6F786E594F4F432C0 wrote: I posted in another thread (or maybe another site?) that I thought BC would either build around Keller, Hayes, Reynolds, Tucker, Newman or build for Priester plus all of the lower level guys. I never expected him to try to build on the current roster for this year and next because there are too many (expensive) holes to fill.

It looks like we have our answer about which way BC is going. I, like everyone here, hate that we have another 3+ years of crappy MLB team to live through.  But I think this was the right decision to get us to a team that has a real chance to compete.  It may also mean that the tear down could go deeper than Marte, Frazier, Bell, Archer, etc. I won’t be surprised if Reynolds, Keller, etc are all traded in the next year or two.

Peguero and Malone have very high upsides.  When I saw Ariz as a possible trade partner, I too wanted Varsho.  But if the plan is to compete in 3-4 years, getting another potential TOR SP prospect is vital. We probably need 4-6 of them over 2-3 years/levels to have a real chance at getting two actual TOR pitchers in the rotation simultaneously. And that is, and always will be under BN, one thing we absolutely have to get from our minors. We can afford to buy a 3-5 SPy to round out the rotation. We can find bullpen help. We can afford 1-2 position player vets to lengthen the lineup or improve the bench.  The other thing we will need is 3+ stud (.900 OPS) hitters.  That’s another commodity this team will not be able to buy at the MLB level.

To me, the two high upside prospects BC got are on similar timelines and could fill two of those must haves. At least BC has gotten high upside prospects. If you wanted an immediately competitive MLB team, none of that makes you feel any better though.
Again, needed to get Varsho. Also we have zero LH starting pitchers among our 30 Top Prospects. I am curious to hear what SD or NY might have offered.