Could The Bucs Bullpen Be Strong In 2020

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4D7F73736755767F7277787F1E0 wrote: Forbes values the team at like 1 1/4 BN dollars.  If he were really in it for the money and the money only he'd just sell as is. 
Exactly. Last year Nutting was cited as the 10th richest owner in MLB. So he doesn't need the money he would get by selling the team. He's a businessman who doesn't want to risk losing any money on the Pirates so he keeps them at a bargain basement level. It appears he just likes to be an MLB owner. Doesn't need to sell it for the money and won't invest money in it to make them winners, which is irrelevant to him and counterproductive if not cost efficient. Keeps the overhead to a minimum, makes a profit and simply enjoys being in the fraternity of pro sports team owners despite the competitive failures. He's making money so I suspect he sees himself as a very successful owner and probably scoffs at those who spend so much for a winning team that it cuts into their profits. The only downside is the animosity of his fan base toward him but he lets his GM and team president be a buffer and take the heat while he stays out of the public eye.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6C414C5D5A4B5C1C1F2E0 wrote: Forbes values the team at like 1 1/4 BN dollars.  If he were really in it for the money and the money only he'd just sell as is. 
Exactly. Last year Nutting was cited as the 10th richest owner in MLB. So he doesn't need the money he would get by selling the team. He's a businessman who doesn't want to risk losing any money on the Pirates so he keeps them at a bargain basement level. It appears he just likes to be an MLB owner. Doesn't need to sell it for the money and won't invest money in it to make them winners, which is irrelevant to him and counterproductive if not cost efficient. Keeps the overhead to a minimum, makes a profit and simply enjoys being in the fraternity of pro sports team owners despite the competitive failures. He's making money so I suspect he sees himself as a very successful owner and probably scoffs at those who spend so much for a winning team that it cuts into their profits. The only downside is the animosity of his fan base toward him but he lets his GM and team president be a buffer and take the heat while he stays out of the public eye.

This is really well-said. "Winning" to Nutting means maximizing profit. If nothing else, he seems like a business school nerd so, to him, it really doesn't matter what type of business it is, he's going to pursue that goal.

What he discovered when he became a partner was that it was impossible not to make money with an MLB franchise because its value would continue to grow. Add to that the revenue sharing that he was to receive simply by being an owner, I think, is what led him to securing a controlling interest.

He quickly realized that winning a title was going to be largely impossible in this market so keeping costs low, and saving money however he could, would minimize his risk even as he realized smaller profits. That was, and remains, an acceptable trade-off for him and, to his way of thinking, it's worked. The value of the franchise has increased beyond his wildest dreams and has made him a billionaire on paper.

He'd be crazy to ever sell the franchise. He doesn't care what people, even his own customers, think of him. That doesn't matter as long as he keeps making money. He simply stays in the background and, every now and then, gives an interview where he feigns a commitment to winning. He's got his world right where he wants it.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

164056424D57474C4156644349454D480A47240 wrote: Forbes values the team at like 1 1/4 BN dollars.  If he were really in it for the money and the money only he'd just sell as is. 

This is really well-said.  "Winning" to Nutting means maximizing profit.  If nothing else, he seems like a business school nerd so, to him, it really doesn't matter what type of business it is, he's going to pursue that goal.

What he discovered when he became a partner was that it was impossible not to make money with an MLB franchise because its value would continue to grow.  Add to that the revenue sharing that he was to receive simply by being an owner, I think, is what led him to securing a controlling interest. 

He quickly realized that winning a title was going to be largely impossible in this market so keeping costs low, and saving money however he could, would minimize his risk even as he realized smaller profits.  That was, and remains, an acceptable trade-off for him and, to his way of thinking, it's worked.  The value of the franchise has increased beyond his wildest dreams and has made him a billionaire on paper. 

He'd be crazy to ever sell the franchise.  He doesn't care what people, even his own customers, think of him.  That doesn't matter as long as he keeps making money.  He simply stays in the background and, every now and then, gives an interview where he feigns a commitment to winning.  He's got his world right where he wants it.

I would edit the bold phrase to be "He's got his world and the Pirates fans right where he wants it, by the cohones!"
2drfischer@gmail.c

02232B022921460 wrote: Forbes values the team at like 1 1/4 BN dollars.  If he were really in it for the money and the money only he'd just sell as is. 

This is really well-said.  "Winning" to Nutting means maximizing profit.  If nothing else, he seems like a business school nerd so, to him, it really doesn't matter what type of business it is, he's going to pursue that goal.

What he discovered when he became a partner was that it was impossible not to make money with an MLB franchise because its value would continue to grow.  Add to that the revenue sharing that he was to receive simply by being an owner, I think, is what led him to securing a controlling interest. 

He quickly realized that winning a title was going to be largely impossible in this market so keeping costs low, and saving money however he could, would minimize his risk even as he realized smaller profits.  That was, and remains, an acceptable trade-off for him and, to his way of thinking, it's worked.  The value of the franchise has increased beyond his wildest dreams and has made him a billionaire on paper. 

He'd be crazy to ever sell the franchise.  He doesn't care what people, even his own customers, think of him.  That doesn't matter as long as he keeps making money.  He simply stays in the background and, every now and then, gives an interview where he feigns a commitment to winning.  He's got his world right where he wants it.

I would edit the bold phrase to be "He's got his world and the Pirates fans right where he wants it, by the cohones!"

HAHA, I was going to write "cahones", but I don't know how to spell it.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

510711050A10000B061123040E020A0F4D00630 wrote: Forbes values the team at like 1 1/4 BN dollars.  If he were really in it for the money and the money only he'd just sell as is. 

You still have not spelled it correctly. According to Google it is spelled with an "o" instead of an "a"! ;D ;D ;D ;D
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Just wanted to add that Robbie Erlin will be remembered as the best offseason acquisition of this season. He's our lefty reliever, folks!
2drfischer@gmail.c

04252D042F27400 wrote: Forbes values the team at like 1 1/4 BN dollars.  If he were really in it for the money and the money only he'd just sell as is. 

You still have not spelled it correctly.  According to Google it is spelled with an "o" instead of an "a"!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I thought it was spelled with a "j" instead of an "h". Should've paid better attention in that one year I took Spanish.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

7B2D3B2F203A2A212C3B092E24282025672A490 wrote: Forbes values the team at like 1 1/4 BN dollars.  If he were really in it for the money and the money only he'd just sell as is. 

You still have not spelled it correctly.  According to Google it is spelled with an "o" instead of an "a"!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I thought it was spelled with a "j" instead of an "h".  Should've paid better attention in that one year I took Spanish.

"j" instead of "h" is correct. I guess I can't read the Google results anymore. Too darn old! :'(
2drfischer@gmail.c

56777F567D75120 wrote: Forbes values the team at like 1 1/4 BN dollars.  If he were really in it for the money and the money only he'd just sell as is. 

I thought it was spelled with a "j" instead of an "h".  Should've paid better attention in that one year I took Spanish.

"j" instead of "h" is correct.  I guess I can't read the Google results anymore.  Too darn old!   :'(

Getting old isn't for wimps, Possum.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

Getting old isn't for wimps, Possum.

Certainly getting old is not for sissys.