MLB All time Pirate LF

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: then there are the Mike Kingery's and Lee Mazilli's.

They traded Lieber for Brant Brown to play center. They were probably the only team in the league who thought he could play center in a park like Three Rivers.

yep, and it turned out he couldn't hit either.

Do I remember correctly him hitting a ball out of Tiger Stadium one night?  Sadly, all the rest of his hits as a Pirate added together didn't travel as far.
Brown did manage to hit 16 HRs in his year as a Pirate. To go along with a crisp .232 BA. But on 6/9/99 he had 5 hits in Tiger Stadium including a HR over the RF roof.

After I posted, I looked up Brown on Baseball Reference and was surprised to see he'd hit 16 HRs in his season here.  He seemed to struggle from Opening Day until the end, except for that one night in Detroit.  But that's what the whole 20 years of losing was like.  Lots and lots of bad interrupted by the occasional amazing feat.
After seeing Brown make this play the year before in LF for the Cubs, the Pirates knew they had found their centerfielder.

I can't imagine how badly he had to feel in that situation.  Guys playing team sports rely so much on each other and here he let them all down.  Of all the good things he did in his career, I'd guess that he still recalls that moment way too easily. 
well doc, since he played for your detested Brewers, it must have brought a smile to your face

But that play helped the Brewers win that game.  I admit I wouldn't feel as badly for him had he been a Brewer when he dropped that ball.
One of the Brewers scoring was Jeromy Burnitz who, 8 years later at age 37, would take the Pirates money for 1 more year of paychecks before retiring. He hit .230 for the Bucs.

Other guys who signed here to make one more pay grab who immediately come to mind include George Hendricks, Raul Mondesi, Derek Bell, and Lonnie Chisenhall. I'm sure there are many more.
Ecbucs

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by Ecbucs »

174157434C56464D4057654248444C490B46250 wrote: then there are the Mike Kingery's and Lee Mazilli's.

They traded Lieber for Brant Brown to play center. They were probably the only team in the league who thought he could play center in a park like Three Rivers.

Do I remember correctly him hitting a ball out of Tiger Stadium one night?  Sadly, all the rest of his hits as a Pirate added together didn't travel as far.
Brown did manage to hit 16 HRs in his year as a Pirate. To go along with a crisp .232 BA. But on 6/9/99 he had 5 hits in Tiger Stadium including a HR over the RF roof.

After I posted, I looked up Brown on Baseball Reference and was surprised to see he'd hit 16 HRs in his season here.  He seemed to struggle from Opening Day until the end, except for that one night in Detroit.  But that's what the whole 20 years of losing was like.  Lots and lots of bad interrupted by the occasional amazing feat.
After seeing Brown make this play the year before in LF for the Cubs, the Pirates knew they had found their centerfielder.

I can't imagine how badly he had to feel in that situation.  Guys playing team sports rely so much on each other and here he let them all down.  Of all the good things he did in his career, I'd guess that he still recalls that moment way too easily. 
well doc, since he played for your detested Brewers, it must have brought a smile to your face

But that play helped the Brewers win that game.  I admit I wouldn't feel as badly for him had he been a Brewer when he dropped that ball.
One of the Brewers scoring was Jeromy Burnitz who, 8 years later at age 37, would take the Pirates money for 1 more year of paychecks before retiring. He hit .230 for the Bucs.

Other guys who signed here to make one more pay grab who immediately come to mind include George Hendricks, Raul Mondesi, Derek Bell, and Lonnie Chisenhall.  I'm sure there are many more.

the worst thing about Hendrick is that the Bucs traded John Tudor for him.
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

406667706676050 wrote: then there are the Mike Kingery's and Lee Mazilli's.

Other guys who signed here to make one more pay grab who immediately come to mind include George Hendricks, Raul Mondesi, Derek Bell, and Lonnie Chisenhall.  I'm sure there are many more.

the worst thing about Hendrick is that the Bucs traded John Tudor for him.

Ugly, ugly trade that one.