Archer finished

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Archer finished

Post by Bobster21 »

5854550E070E060B0C13093E0 wrote: I wonder if the Bucs and Archer could renegotiate the salary for 2021 since he is coming off a serious surgery. Possibly pay him half of the salary, and if he has a productive season he could become a free agent and hope to sign a multi year agreement with some team. If he was having a good season next year,possibly the Bucs could move him at the deadline for a couple prospects who could help down the road.
It's a nice idea but I don't think it'll happen. Players do what's best for themselves and they don't cut the Pirates any breaks. If Archer can get a reduced salary from the Pirates he can get it from other teams too. But the Pirates are the only MLB team where he would face the pressure and criticism of not living up to the trade. Not to mention the fact that the Pirates are a very weak team, which doesn't make it any easier to pitch for them. I suspect it would be easier to pitch anywhere else. Which could lead to a better season. Which could lead to a better contract.
GreenWeenie

Archer finished

Post by GreenWeenie »

The MLBPA might have something to say about it.

Doesn't matter. Archer isn't signing anything near what the Pirates would max out at. If they wouldn't sign Anrew McCutchen, they wouldn't sign Archer or anyone else.

I'm told they're cheap.
skinnyhorse

Archer finished

Post by skinnyhorse »

73545F7C310 wrote:

Huntington wasn't under pressure to cut salary. He took on more than he gave away. He actually thought the talent for talent trade of a declining veteran for 3 top prospects was fair. That's the scary part. Total incompetence. 

And on top of that, it wasn't like Glassnow and Meadows were a year or two away from free agency and he didn't want to lose them for nothing. Both still had 4 plus years under team control.
The real stunner here is Huntington almost kept his job. It makes the decision to finally get rid of him, which should have been a no brainer, the right decision. So thanks to whoever finally said enough. A good GM must have excellent people around him to make decisions based on what's best for the team. We had Hurdle a guy who got close one last time, but obviously the game had passed him by after that. The ownership (if successful) has to have more than just business interest in a team they should have the City's and areas best interest also. A inept sports team isn't good for any community. I hope we have the right GM now, only time will tell but please no more 3 years extensions when your team is heading in the wrong direction.
shedman

Archer finished

Post by shedman »

The problem is that Huntington for years and years would not add any major league ballplayers through FA or trade. Then as the losing continues, the pressure built for him to do something anything. He added a major league ballplayer in Archer and it didn't work out. If he had been doing h is job over the years and adding major league ballplayers from time to time, some of those would not have worked out, but some of them would have worked out and the Archer deal would not have been such a big eyesore. Instead he dumped salary and major league ballplayers at every opportunity to save his greedy boss some more money.

Unfortunately, so far, Cherington seems to be following the same path that Huntington did. What these GM's need to do is perform their jobs and improve the team with major league ballplayers, and not adding minor leaguers and hoping they overperform.
skinnyhorse

Archer finished

Post by skinnyhorse »

1B2E3939320B39393235395C0 wrote: The MLBPA might have something to say about it. 

Doesn't matter.  Archer isn't signing anything near what the Pirates would max out at.  If they wouldn't sign Anrew McCutchen, they wouldn't sign Archer or anyone else.

I'm told they're cheap.
This is obvious, when you're in a hole quit digging. I wouldn't give this guy any more than other clubs would. If he was a decent person he would sign for a bit less and try and give back all he has taken from this team. Obviously he didn't hold up his end of the bargain he should at least accept part of the blame. I realize that's not the way it works in baseball business today, but players should accept some responsibility.
GreenWeenie

Archer finished

Post by GreenWeenie »

263E3C3B3B2C3D3A272630550 wrote: The MLBPA might have something to say about it. 

Doesn't matter.  Archer isn't signing anything near what the Pirates would max out at.  If they wouldn't sign Anrew McCutchen, they wouldn't sign Archer or anyone else.

I'm told they're cheap.
This is obvious, when you're in a hole quit digging.  I wouldn't give this guy any more than other clubs would.  If he was a decent person he would sign for a bit less and try and give back all he has taken from this team.  Obviously he didn't hold up his end of the bargain he should at least accept part of the blame.  I realize that's not the way it works in baseball business today, but players should accept some responsibility.

Very close.

The issue was that Huntington let more talent leave than he acquired, so he would have been climbing that mountain as he was shoveling the quicksand.

His apologists will defend it by saying that most guys who left didn't do well in their new homes. Maybe so, but the Pirates did worse.

I'm not sure what this new guy is doing or even if he has anything up his sleeve.
GreenWeenie

Archer finished

Post by GreenWeenie »

Sorry.  Mine was in response to Shed.

I would need convinced on Archer.  I have no idea if he is a good guy, and, to be honest I dont care.

I care if he's a good PLAYER.

The most I would do is offer a minor league deal, unless the medics gave a clean bill of health.

I'm afraid that he looks like toast.  He may need to be found in a different restaurant.  Put a fork in him.  He just never gained traction in The Burgh, and I think it's unfortunate.
fjk090852-7

Archer finished

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Since there now appears to be a 60 game season which should hurt the offseason free agent market, the Pirates will no doubt buy out the final option year in Archer’s contract. Assuming that happens they may offer Archer a one year incentive laden contract which he might accept in an attempt to get a better contract from a team after 2021.