Now I think there's almost no way ......

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

It is looking less and less like there will be a meaningful MLB 2020 season.

Max Scherzer is critical of new MLB proposal

So it looks to me like if we want our baseball fix for 2020 we need to home in on the Korean Baseball Organization games on ESPN.   :'(

Be sure to read the entire article and then get to the comments. I know it is a long read but who cares, ain't nobody doing a lot these days because of the quarantine.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

18393118333B5C0 wrote: It is looking less and less like there will be a meaningful MLB 2020 season.

Max Scherzer is critical of new MLB proposal

So it looks to me like if we want our baseball fix for 2020 we need to home in on the Korean Baseball Organization games on ESPN.   :'(

I'm leaning towards watching the neighborhood kids play wiffle ball. There's no replay and everyone has to both bat and play in the field. And the games are quick. With all the arguing, they never get past the third inning.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

Reading this morning about the #so-called” negotiations with the owners and players association, I feel the owners really don’t want a season for 2020. Personally, I feel that this may be a beginning of a baseball strike. We have to realize that the great majority of players are not making Harper, Snell, Verlander, and others. If they sit out both 2020 and 2021, watch them come back. I am not a union buster, but a proud member of the PA State Teachers Association. But comparing our unions to the players union is a joke. The majority owners, small market, may have decided to have finally come to their senses and push for a true salary cap, having both a base and max. People, I am definitely not a fan of either. But, there has to be a type of equality when it comes to all teams, mainly the small market teams, which I feel are in the majority. On a positive note, if there would be a true cap, Nutty Nutting in all probability would then sell the Buccos. We can only hope.
shedman

Post by shedman »

03213629252A102B332A372C2D34440 wrote: Reading this morning about the #so-called” negotiations with the owners and players association, I feel the owners really don’t want a season for 2020. Personally, I feel that this may be a beginning of a baseball strike. We have to realize that the great majority of players are not making Harper, Snell, Verlander, and others. If they sit out both 2020 and 2021, watch them come back. I am not a union buster, but a proud member of the PA State Teachers Association. But comparing our unions to the players union is a joke. The majority owners, small market, may have decided to have  finally come to their senses and push for a true salary cap, having both a base and max. People, I am definitely not a fan of either. But, there has to be a type of equality when it comes to all teams, mainly the small market teams, which I feel are in the majority. On a positive note, if there would be a true cap, Nutty Nutting in all probability would then sell the Buccos. We can only hope.
--------

A salary cap would be of no value at all. BOB would never spend up to the cap. What we really need is a hard salary floor. If BOB doesn't want to spend up tot hat floor, then he should get out of baseball.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Regardless of what's going on here, and TBH, I don't really know. I haven't followed it closely. But, regardless of whatever it is, the optics are terrible. Millionaires and billionaires fighting with each other. MLB minimum wage this year is still something like $256,000. That's a prorated rate on a full-season MLB minimum. 40 million people out of work, countless small businesses shut down. And these guys are STILL being guaranteed a salary that would place them in the top 1% of wage earners in America.

Forget these clowns.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I guess I am disappointed that the owners and players cannot arrive at a compromise to play a partial season this year. The current proposal as I understand does not reduce the salary of the players making the minimum as much as the reduction of the salaries of the more established players. I understand that players like Trout, and Harper have a more expensive life style than a player such as Clay Holmes. Many of the established players have donated money etc for those in the health industry who are putting their lives on the line which is very honorable. These past couple months people who have had small businesses for years have had to close due to the pandemic.I am going to assume that many of the established players have not had to sacrifice much during this pandemic period. I feel that there should be some way for the owners and the more established players to agree to a salary for a partial season of play without having fans in the stands. If they cannot come to an agreement I think many fans of baseball who have struggled financially during this period will turn their back on the game, and may never return.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

766D606168646B050 wrote: Reading this morning about the #so-called” negotiations with the owners and players association, I feel the owners really don’t want a season for 2020. Personally, I feel that this may be a beginning of a baseball strike. We have to realize that the great majority of players are not making Harper, Snell, Verlander, and others. If they sit out both 2020 and 2021, watch them come back. I am not a union buster, but a proud member of the PA State Teachers Association. But comparing our unions to the players union is a joke. The majority owners, small market, may have decided to have  finally come to their senses and push for a true salary cap, having both a base and max. People, I am definitely not a fan of either. But, there has to be a type of equality when it comes to all teams, mainly the small market teams, which I feel are in the majority. On a positive note, if there would be a true cap, Nutty Nutting in all probability would then sell the Buccos. We can only hope.
--------

A salary cap would be of no value at all.  BOB would never spend up to the cap.  What we really need is a hard salary floor.  If BOB doesn't want to spend up tot hat floor, then he should get out of baseball.

Bob has no plans to sell the bucs. He follows you around from board to board just to see how much he is irritating you.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6957525A4951515A7A5F485B3E0 wrote: Reading this morning about the #so-called” negotiations with the owners and players association, I feel the owners really don’t want a season for 2020. Personally, I feel that this may be a beginning of a baseball strike. We have to realize that the great majority of players are not making Harper, Snell, Verlander, and others. If they sit out both 2020 and 2021, watch them come back. I am not a union buster, but a proud member of the PA State Teachers Association. But comparing our unions to the players union is a joke. The majority owners, small market, may have decided to have  finally come to their senses and push for a true salary cap, having both a base and max. People, I am definitely not a fan of either. But, there has to be a type of equality when it comes to all teams, mainly the small market teams, which I feel are in the majority. On a positive note, if there would be a true cap, Nutty Nutting in all probability would then sell the Buccos. We can only hope.
--------

A salary cap would be of no value at all.  BOB would never spend up to the cap.  What we really need is a hard salary floor.  If BOB doesn't want to spend up tot hat floor, then he should get out of baseball.

Bob has no plans to sell the bucs. He follows you around from board to board just to see how much he is irritating you.

There's one way that could lead Nutting to sell and that's for the value of the franchise to fall and then he finds a buyer willing to meet his price. And with the way these current negotiations are proceeding between the union and the owners, enough fans may be chased away from baseball once and for all. But even then, I don't think he sells. I can't see him ever selling unless he's forced to because of something unseemly he's done. We're stuck with him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2D7B6D79766C7C777A6D5F78727E7673317C1F0 wrote: Reading this morning about the #so-called” negotiations with the owners and players association, I feel the owners really don’t want a season for 2020. Personally, I feel that this may be a beginning of a baseball strike. We have to realize that the great majority of players are not making Harper, Snell, Verlander, and others. If they sit out both 2020 and 2021, watch them come back. I am not a union buster, but a proud member of the PA State Teachers Association. But comparing our unions to the players union is a joke. The majority owners, small market, may have decided to have  finally come to their senses and push for a true salary cap, having both a base and max. People, I am definitely not a fan of either. But, there has to be a type of equality when it comes to all teams, mainly the small market teams, which I feel are in the majority. On a positive note, if there would be a true cap, Nutty Nutting in all probability would then sell the Buccos. We can only hope.
--------

There's one way that could lead Nutting to sell and that's for the value of the franchise to fall and then he finds a buyer willing to meet his price.  And with the way these current negotiations are proceeding between the union and the owners, enough fans may be chased away from baseball once and for all.  But even then, I don't think he sells.  I can't see him ever selling unless he's forced to because of something unseemly he's done.  We're stuck with him.
Nutting operates the team to make a profit and it's been very profitable. He doesn't care about winning so there is no reason to sell as long as the business is profitable. We'll have to see what the state of MLB is moving forward. This state of affairs was totally unforeseen so we'll have to wait and see if owning the Pirates can remain profitable. If he concludes in another year or two that MLB has changed and he can no longer make money, he'll likely sell and get a large lump sum even if the value diminishes. If things get back to normal and he can still make money fielding a low budget team, he'll continue to milk that cash cow.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Examining the financials of the Braves will tell you how much money these teams have rolling in.

Let's just say that none of them are hurting.

https://www.radio.com/sports/mlb/public ... s-francesa

"The Braves are the only publicly traded team in Major League Baseball, Francesa explained, so their financial information is subject to public scrutiny in a way that privately owned teams are exempt from."

I believe that the Blue Jays are also publicly traded.