Zack Godley dfa

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Zack Godley dfa

Post by GreenWeenie »

Classic Apologist Question.

No wonder we lose.

Yasiel Puig is good enough to help a club that won its division.  Yasiel Puig can do nothing to improve a team that finished dead last.

Take the "Yasiel Puig" out and insert any name you want for Pirates fans.  No player or players can assist in progess. 

But, some suspect who will never step foot on a MLB field this season can.
shedman

Zack Godley dfa

Post by shedman »

045244505F45555E534476515B575F5A1855360 wrote: As a 65 year Pirate fan, I have learned to not listen to what they say, bur rather what they do.  "see what he has", "let the kids play", "don't block the prospects", "wait for the market to be set", etc. are things that they "say".  I don't listen to those things.  I watch what they "do".  And so far with Cherington he has done nothing.   

Can I ask you to give us examples of moves, or even the type of moves, you feel BC should've or could've made since his hiring?  Your success as a fantasy GM is epic so I'm interested in knowing what you think was possible.

__

Here is a lost of FA who were signed by small market clubs that I would have given Cherington kudos for signing:

Nick Castellanos

Mike Moustakas

Avisail Garcia

Wage Miley

Josh Lindblom

Francsco Cervilli

Even after twittling his thumbs all winter, here is a list of FA he could sign right now:

Ben Zobrist

Mark Trumbo

Yasiel Puig

Brian Dozier

Danny Salazar

Addison Russell

Brian McCann

However, in order to sign any of these guys, he would have to get his thumb out of his rear end and do something.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Zack Godley dfa

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

677C717079757A140 wrote: As a 65 year Pirate fan, I have learned to not listen to what they say, bur rather what they do.  "see what he has", "let the kids play", "don't block the prospects", "wait for the market to be set", etc. are things that they "say".  I don't listen to those things.  I watch what they "do".  And so far with Cherington he has done nothing.   

Can I ask you to give us examples of moves, or even the type of moves, you feel BC should've or could've made since his hiring?  Your success as a fantasy GM is epic so I'm interested in knowing what you think was possible.

__

Here is a lost of FA who were signed by small market clubs that I would have given Cherington kudos for signing:

Nick Castellanos

Mike Moustakas

Avisail Garcia

Wage Miley

Josh Lindblom

Francsco Cervilli

Even after twittling his thumbs all winter, here is a list of FA he could sign right now:

Ben Zobrist

Mark Trumbo

Yasiel Puig

Brian Dozier

Danny Salazar

Addison Russell

Brian McCann

However, in order to sign any of these guys, he would have to get his thumb out of his rear end and do something.

I like some of the guys on those lists, especially the first two players listed.  Do you think BC made a play for either of them or any other players you listed?  If he did, why do you think they signed elsewhere?  If he didn't, why do you think he didn't bother?
GreenWeenie

Zack Godley dfa

Post by GreenWeenie »

My guess is that he was either given an edict or chose to follow his own to build using suspects. 

Doing so gives him the apologists' timeframe.  Brilliance!

Some guys are cheap- BOB.

Some guys think they have the secret sauce and can find talent that others can't.  Not sure that Cherington is that sort, but it's always possible.

Bottom line- it's his job to improve the club.  I don't think he's off to an impressive start.  "First impressions don't mean everything, but they do mean a lot."- Bill Cowher, as coach of the Steelers when he said it.
GreenWeenie

Zack Godley dfa

Post by GreenWeenie »

_

Francsco Cervilli

Yasiel Puig

Cervelli? I'll give kudos for NOT signing him. He's toast.

(But, he's better than who we have, so there is that.)

Puig's no longer available.
shedman

Zack Godley dfa

Post by shedman »

015741555A40505B564173545E525A5F1D50330 wrote: As a 65 year Pirate fan, I have learned to not listen to what they say, bur rather what they do.  "see what he has", "let the kids play", "don't block the prospects", "wait for the market to be set", etc. are things that they "say".  I don't listen to those things.  I watch what they "do".  And so far with Cherington he has done nothing.   

__

Nick Castellanos

Mike Moustakas

Avisail Garcia

Wage Miley

Josh Lindblom

Francsco Cervilli

Ben Zobrist

Mark Trumbo

Yasiel Puig

Brian Dozier

Danny Salazar

Addison Russell

Brian McCann

I like some of the guys on those lists, especially the first two players listed.  Do you think BC made a play for either of them or any other players you listed?  If he did, why do you think they signed elsewhere?  If he didn't, why do you think he didn't bother?
_______

I don't believe he made an attempt to sign any of those guys. It is just easier to kick the can down the road and hide behind "he has to see what he has" and knows that people will accept that. My favorite alibi this coming year for kicking the can down the road is "we don't want to block some LMG or career minor leaguer"
2drfischer@gmail.c

Zack Godley dfa

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

677C717079757A140 wrote: As a 65 year Pirate fan, I have learned to not listen to what they say, bur rather what they do.  "see what he has", "let the kids play", "don't block the prospects", "wait for the market to be set", etc. are things that they "say".  I don't listen to those things.  I watch what they "do".  And so far with Cherington he has done nothing.   

__

Nick Castellanos

Mike Moustakas

Avisail Garcia

Wage Miley

Josh Lindblom

Francsco Cervilli

Ben Zobrist

Mark Trumbo

Yasiel Puig

Brian Dozier

Danny Salazar

Addison Russell

Brian McCann

_______

I don't believe he made an attempt to sign any of those guys.  It is just easier to kick the can down the road and hide behind "he has to see what he has" and knows that people will accept that.  My favorite alibi this coming year for kicking the can down the road is "we don't want to block some LMG or career minor leaguer"                  

I agree that he made no attempt to sign guys like Castellanos, Moustakas, or Garcia. With the contracts they received, BC didn't have a chance, but I think he still should have tried. It would've been a way to let other free agents know that the Pirates were going to be serious under new management. If he didn't try, then the organization is no better off now than it was under Huntington.

I would not have tried to sign Cervelli. His capable days are behind him. I would've made a strong attempt to sign d'Arnauld. Our catching situation is an issue.

If BC doesn't make a serious attempt to sign a good free agent next season, players around baseball will continue to have the same impression of the Pirates they most certainly have had since 2015: that the organization isn't serious about winning.
GreenWeenie

Zack Godley dfa

Post by GreenWeenie »

I think that most, and probably every MLB agent, player, and competitor GM has reached that conclusion.

Leopards take a long time to change spots.

Ecbucs

Zack Godley dfa

Post by Ecbucs »

724750505B6250505B5C50350 wrote: I think that most, and probably every MLB agent, player, and competitor GM has reached that conclusion.

Leopards take a long time to change spots.

in the olden days the Bucs struck quickly when signing free agents like Russell Martin and Derek Bell. Didn't give other teams a chance to get them (if I remember correctly). Maybe BC will do that for next season.
GreenWeenie

Zack Godley dfa

Post by GreenWeenie »

When will this BC guy do ANYthing?