July 27 Game Thread - Bucs vs the Brew Crew

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

On the plus side Colin Moran is now Babe Ruth.

I was going to say the first HR was the best swing I've ever seen him take.

Then I saw the second HR.

Not sure if this is a temporary mirage but we deserve something good and unexpected like Moran turning out to be a slugger.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5E525B56411D475A5E5C475B4A010373545E330 wrote: I wonder if Shelton would have considered subbing Osuna at 1B if we'd only been up one or two runs.

You go into the ninth with a four-run lead you're generally not sweating the defensive replacements.
I take the opposite POV. Up by 4 late in the game you don't expect to need more runs. The 4-run lead only needs defense and pitching to win. So there's almost nothing to lose by pulling Bell for defense unless you blow the 4-run lead. But pulling Bell for defense is good insurance against blowing that lead. Up by only 1 or 2 runs the lead is more likely to evaporate and it's more likely you could want Bell's bat to stay in the lineup. So the obvious advantage of pulling him for defense runs the risk of losing his bat if needed later. But up by 4, any kind of strong defense wins the game with no need to worry about having to score more runs later.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Not a good night for Shelton or the Pirates.

Shelton should have inserted Moran at DH over Polanco when he inserted Gonzalez for defensive purposes at 3rd.

I missed nearly all of the top of the ninth because of DirecTV's new decision to only tape 4 hours of a game vs 6 hrs last season, but I could have guessed that the game would be tied/lost as soon as Crick was called upon in a critical situation. Too much trust in some of the only 'veteran' relievers in the pen.

I hated the idea of bunting Dyson when a runner was already on second with no outs. That said, I will acknowledge that while Dyson had a big hit in this game, it is the first and only time that he has looked like a hitter this season.

And, if anyone was going to bunt in this game, it should have been Polanco when there was no one anywhere near the 3rd base with a runner on 1st.

All in all, a game in which I had already counted as a win that soon disintegrated into a loss. Geez, even bad teams are expected to win with a 4 run lead entering the 9th.

A couple of other quick thoughts ---

Kuhl pitched well in his first regular season action since his surgery.

Brault looked like last year's editions; strong pitching followed by a bout of where is the plate.

Moran's swing looks really sweet right now, but, someone else on the team needs to join him in looking like a major league hitter.

The Never Man pitched okay, despite being pinned with the loss in the 11th.

Why is Stratton being used to pitch to so few batters?

As expected, this looks to be a frustrating season - no real plan for how to improve the quality of the team. Too many players that are no more than stop gaps.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F434B4C4760574151220 wrote: Not a good night for Shelton or the Pirates.

Shelton should have inserted Moran at DH over Polanco when he inserted Gonzalez for defensive purposes at 3rd.

I missed nearly all of the top of the ninth because of DirecTV's new decision to only tape 4 hours of a game vs 6 hrs last season, but I could have guessed that the game would be tied/lost as soon as Crick was called upon in a critical situation.  Too much trust in some of the only 'veteran' relievers in the pen. 

I hated the idea of bunting Dyson when a runner was already on second with no outs.   That said, I will acknowledge that  while Dyson had a big hit in this game, it is the first and only time that he has looked like a hitter this season.

And, if anyone was going to bunt in this game, it should have been Polanco when there was no one anywhere near the 3rd base with a runner on 1st. 

All in all, a game in which I had already counted as a win that soon disintegrated into a loss.  Geez, even bad teams are expected to win with a 4 run lead entering the 9th.

A couple of other quick thoughts ---

Kuhl pitched well in his first regular season action since his surgery.

Brault looked like last year's editions; strong pitching followed by a bout of where is the plate.

Moran's swing looks really sweet right now, but, someone else on the team needs to join him in looking like a major league hitter.

The Never Man pitched okay, despite being pinned with the loss in the 11th.

Why is Stratton being used to pitch to so few batters?

As expected, this looks to be a frustrating season - no real plan for how to improve the quality of the team.  Too many players that are no more than stop gaps.  

Per MLB rules: A Designated Hitter is “locked” into the batting order. No multiple substitutions may be made that will alter the batting rotation of the Designated Hitter.

The DH in the Pirates order was established at #7 with Polanco. So neither Moran (batting 4th) nor anyone else already in the order could be moved to DH.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Guess not having a DH in the NL in the past has affected my ability to keep up with the rules regarding the DH.

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

173B33343F182F39295A0 wrote:

As expected, this looks to be a frustrating season - no real plan for how to improve the quality of the team.  Too many players that are no more than stop gaps.

Yeah, what is the plan, anyway? Other than "evaluate."
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

333F363B2C702A3733312A36276C6E1E39335E0 wrote:

it should be easy to identify better players than the Pirates have. The hard part for Ben C. is figuring out how to acquire them. Of course that is why he gets paid the big bucks and doesn't just post on the internet like us fans.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

604647504656250 wrote:

it should be easy to identify better players than the Pirates have.  The hard part for Ben C. is figuring out how to acquire them. Of course that is why he gets paid the big bucks and doesn't just post on the internet like us fans.
But Neal H. got paid the big bucks to do that too and now all he can do is post on the internet like us fans. Let's hope the big bucks are better spent on Ben C. :)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

"Big bucks" and "Pirates" means one and only one thing.

BOB.

And, we will never see what THAT guy has.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

474B424F58045E4347455E4253181A6A4D472A0 wrote:

The plan is what it's always been: make as much money as possible.