Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Game Thread - 9/1 -Cubs vs Bucs - KeBryan Hayes Debut

Post by Surgnbuck »

Tucker ends the rally
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Greg Brown sounds very nervous about Neverauskas staying in the game with a 1 run lead. (And of course the first batter walks.)
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I just watched the video of Hayes first hit on mlb site......and I notice the Pirates have to have the fattest bat boy I've ever seen in my life.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: Greg Brown sounds very nervous about Neverauskas staying in the game with a 1 run lead. (And of course the first batter walks.)

I'd think by now he'd be numbed by it

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Stretch time!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

okay, time to call it a night....Let's Go Bucs!
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

634E43525544531310210 wrote: Ben Cherington is employed by the Pittsburgh Pirates.  My confidence in him acting like a real GM anytime soon is quite low- for that very reason.  He is employed by the Pittsburgh Pirates. 
Point taken. I should have specified a real GM working for the Pirates with all the limitations that entails. So far he has functioned like a janitor putting his feet up on an empty desk in an office late at night.

I was being facetious.  I truly believe that Shelton's over his skis.

Ben?  While I was excited to have a guy of his credentials join the team, I am far, far less so now.

It's not just his Cigar Store Indeginous American-like improvements to a clearly inferior roster that doesn't impress me.  It's a key part of his job that hardly anybody remembers that concerns me even more:

The coach hirings.  That OJT pitching coach shouldn't have even been given an interview, in my opinion.  Shelton?  Looks like Cherington did some pooch scrooing there.

And, the results follow. 

Garbage in.  Garbage out.

Do nothing to improve.  Gaps grow.
And failing to get rid of Cora as 3B coach. That, and what I've seen so far of Shelton really concern me in terms of BC's judgment. 

Agree. You've got to have quality people throughout the organization. Cora's been suspect for a while in that regard.

Thus far, I see no change from how business is conducted today than I've seen in the past several years. So, why bother making the change in the first place?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4075626269506262696E62070 wrote: Ben Cherington is employed by the Pittsburgh Pirates.  My confidence in him acting like a real GM anytime soon is quite low- for that very reason.  He is employed by the Pittsburgh Pirates. 
Point taken. I should have specified a real GM working for the Pirates with all the limitations that entails. So far he has functioned like a janitor putting his feet up on an empty desk in an office late at night.

I was being facetious.  I truly believe that Shelton's over his skis.

Ben?  While I was excited to have a guy of his credentials join the team, I am far, far less so now.

It's not just his Cigar Store Indeginous American-like improvements to a clearly inferior roster that doesn't impress me.  It's a key part of his job that hardly anybody remembers that concerns me even more:

The coach hirings.  That OJT pitching coach shouldn't have even been given an interview, in my opinion.  Shelton?  Looks like Cherington did some pooch scrooing there.

And, the results follow. 

Garbage in.  Garbage out.

Do nothing to improve.  Gaps grow.
And failing to get rid of Cora as 3B coach. That, and what I've seen so far of Shelton really concern me in terms of BC's judgment. 

Agree.  You've got to have quality people throughout the organization.  Cora's been suspect for a while in that regard.

Thus far, I see no change from how business is conducted today than I've seen in the past several years.  So, why bother making the change in the first place?
My belief has always been that the regime change is a PR move. No GM will have the wherewithal under Nutting to succeed. But after so many years of failure and a disgruntled fan base (are they ever gruntled? :)) a regime change creates the false impression that the owner really wants to see improvement just as the fans want it too. But best case scenario is that BC creates a stronger organization in terms of drafting and development before falling short due to financial constraints.

I don't know what Coonelly could have done differently or what Williams can do to make a difference. Hurdle was a run of the mill, by the book, follow the formula manager. With a better roster he could win. But he was not the type to think outside the box and manage a less talented roster to more wins. I was glad to see him replaced but it seems Shelton is entirely clueless and a detriment to any roster.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

not a bad debut for Hayes.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

123435223424570 wrote: not a bad debut for Hayes.
If Hayes had started out the season with them, I think Moran would have been traded.