Will The Bucs Make A Move Before The Christmas Break

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Being an old guy too I am okay with the way BC is handling things so far. Getting a late start & his budget limitations force him to wait things out in 2020. I like the idea that he wants to get back to winning ways. Not the NH winning ways but the idea that they can set things up so that they can take advantage of new developments in the way the game is played and also take more advantage of metrics that are thrown about in baseball today. For example the Glasnow, Morton and Meadows breakouts simply by letting them play to their strengths and not the Pirate way. I will be upset if by next off season BC is not in a position to begin this transformation to his own winning ways.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0D2C240D262E490 wrote: Being an old guy too I am okay with the way BC is handling things so far.  Getting a late start & his budget limitations force him to wait things out in 2020.  I like the idea that he wants to get back to winning ways.  Not the NH winning ways but the idea that they can set things up so that they can take advantage of new developments in the way the game is played and also take more advantage of metrics that are thrown about in baseball today.  For example the Glasnow, Morton and Meadows breakouts simply by letting them play to their strengths and not the Pirate way.  I will be upset if by next off season BC is not in a position to begin this transformation to his own winning ways.
Yes, this is quite different from if BC was taking over a competitive team and he had to make some significant acquisitions to get them to the next level. Quite the opposite, he is taking over a rebuilding team that needs to develop what it has while he evaluates both the MLB roster and the farm system. The old regime failed to properly develop its best prospects and misevaluated others who were counted on but never developed. BC needs to see what he has. So there's no rush to bring in more than whatever prospects he can get in a trade. And Marte is his best chip so he can't rush that. So given the circumstances, I don't think there's a lot to do in terms of acquiring players now. It's not a matter of "What's taking so long?" I think the priority is on seeing what he's got before making changes.
PMike

Post by PMike »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote: Being an old guy too I am okay with the way BC is handling things so far.  Getting a late start & his budget limitations force him to wait things out in 2020.  I like the idea that he wants to get back to winning ways.  Not the NH winning ways but the idea that they can set things up so that they can take advantage of new developments in the way the game is played and also take more advantage of metrics that are thrown about in baseball today.  For example the Glasnow, Morton and Meadows breakouts simply by letting them play to their strengths and not the Pirate way.  I will be upset if by next off season BC is not in a position to begin this transformation to his own winning ways.
Yes, this is quite different from if BC was taking over a competitive team and he had to make some significant acquisitions to get them to the next level. Quite the opposite, he is taking over a rebuilding team that needs to develop what it has while he evaluates both the MLB roster and the farm system. The old regime failed to properly develop its best prospects and misevaluated others who were counted on but never developed. BC needs to see what he has. So there's no rush to bring in more than whatever prospects he can get in a trade. And Marte is his best chip so he can't rush that. So given the circumstances, I don't think there's a lot to do in terms of acquiring players now. It's not a matter of "What's taking so long?" I think the priority is on seeing what he's got before making changes. 

BC should know what he has by now. He has been here for a month and a half. He has kept a good chunk of the scouting department. He knows what he has.

So I have no desire to see them add MLB filler players. Let's just stick with Polanco and whomever else in RF. Let's trade Marte for minor leaguers or guys just ready to break through. They need to see what they have in all of those young guys that you named and Hayes, Craig, etc. We need to lose and lose bad for the next year or two. This franchise could really use a couple of top 5 draft picks. They need to be where Houston was circa 2013.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

667B5F5D53360 wrote: Being an old guy too I am okay with the way BC is handling things so far.  Getting a late start & his budget limitations force him to wait things out in 2020.  I like the idea that he wants to get back to winning ways.  Not the NH winning ways but the idea that they can set things up so that they can take advantage of new developments in the way the game is played and also take more advantage of metrics that are thrown about in baseball today.  For example the Glasnow, Morton and Meadows breakouts simply by letting them play to their strengths and not the Pirate way.  I will be upset if by next off season BC is not in a position to begin this transformation to his own winning ways.

BC should know what he has by now.  He has been here for a month and a half.  He has kept a good chunk of the scouting department.  He knows what he has.

So I have no desire to see them add MLB filler players.  Let's just stick with Polanco and whomever else in RF.  Let's trade Marte for minor leaguers or guys just ready to break through.  They need to see what they have in all of those young guys that you named and Hayes, Craig, etc.  We need to lose and lose bad for the next year or two.  This franchise could really use a couple of top 5 draft picks.  They need to be where Houston was circa 2013.

I think PMike has identified what is going to happen. To beat a dead horse, needing to do this shows how bad NH was in the long run.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I'm not sure if tanking guarantees you top picks anymore. When half-a-dozen teams are tanking, someone loses out on a top 5.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0D3E222320281E2338243F382925224C0 wrote: I'm not sure if tanking guarantees you top picks anymore.  When half-a-dozen teams are tanking, someone loses out on a top 5.

Even if the Bucs miss out on a top 5 I hope that BC and his staff can find a prospect that will be developed to make a major contribution to the overall team in a few years. That means good amateur scouting and a development team that develops that player based upon his strengths and not a particular team philosophy ala Uncle Ray and Jeff Branson.

Right now we need to accept that the Bucs will be a bottom of the standing team for one and maybe 2 years before we start to see how BC's system will work.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

100D292B25400 wrote: Being an old guy too I am okay with the way BC is handling things so far.  Getting a late start & his budget limitations force him to wait things out in 2020.  I like the idea that he wants to get back to winning ways.  Not the NH winning ways but the idea that they can set things up so that they can take advantage of new developments in the way the game is played and also take more advantage of metrics that are thrown about in baseball today.  For example the Glasnow, Morton and Meadows breakouts simply by letting them play to their strengths and not the Pirate way.  I will be upset if by next off season BC is not in a position to begin this transformation to his own winning ways.

BC should know what he has by now.  He has been here for a month and a half.  He has kept a good chunk of the scouting department.  He knows what he has.

So I have no desire to see them add MLB filler players.  Let's just stick with Polanco and whomever else in RF.  Let's trade Marte for minor leaguers or guys just ready to break through.  They need to see what they have in all of those young guys that you named and Hayes, Craig, etc.  We need to lose and lose bad for the next year or two.  This franchise could really use a couple of top 5 draft picks.  They need to be where Houston was circa 2013.

To be honest, anyone in his former position knew what Pittsburgh had prior to coming in as far as major league roster. I'm not using his short tenure here as an excuse. I don't buy that at all.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

677A5E5C52370 wrote: Being an old guy too I am okay with the way BC is handling things so far.  Getting a late start & his budget limitations force him to wait things out in 2020.  I like the idea that he wants to get back to winning ways.  Not the NH winning ways but the idea that they can set things up so that they can take advantage of new developments in the way the game is played and also take more advantage of metrics that are thrown about in baseball today.  For example the Glasnow, Morton and Meadows breakouts simply by letting them play to their strengths and not the Pirate way.  I will be upset if by next off season BC is not in a position to begin this transformation to his own winning ways.

He only knows what he's been told by the same people who were telling NH what he had. BC needs to travel around once practice and play begins and see top prospects at each level and get full reports and decide if he can rely on those reports based on how those players are progressing. And if not, he has to replace some people. All of that will take time. BC has to get involved because the system he inherited failed his predecessor and little has changed so far. If he assumes he already knows everything he needs to know before anyone has even picked up a bat and ball, then he and the organization are in big trouble.

Losing during a rebuild is a foregone conclusion. High draft picks will follow and they won't have to tank to achieve that. As fans, patience will be required. But if the new regime has the right people, there should be light at the end of the tunnel.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: Being an old guy too I am okay with the way BC is handling things so far.  Getting a late start & his budget limitations force him to wait things out in 2020.  I like the idea that he wants to get back to winning ways.  Not the NH winning ways but the idea that they can set things up so that they can take advantage of new developments in the way the game is played and also take more advantage of metrics that are thrown about in baseball today.  For example the Glasnow, Morton and Meadows breakouts simply by letting them play to their strengths and not the Pirate way.  I will be upset if by next off season BC is not in a position to begin this transformation to his own winning ways.

He only knows what he's been told by the same people who were telling NH what he had. BC needs to travel around once practice and play begins and see top prospects at each level and get full reports and decide if he can rely on those reports based on how those players are progressing. And if not, he has to replace some people. All of that will take time. BC has to get involved because the system he inherited failed his predecessor and little has changed so far. If he assumes he already knows everything he needs to know before anyone has even picked up a bat and ball, then he and the organization are in big trouble.

Losing during a rebuild is a foregone conclusion. High draft picks will follow and they won't have to tank to achieve that. As fans, patience will be required. But if the new regime has the right people, there should be light at the end of the tunnel.

Which tunnel Bobster? The Fort Pitt Tunnell, The Liberty Tubes, or the Squirrel Hill Tunnel or the Lee Tunnel? :D :D :D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Possum, whichever tunnel it is, I hope the light at the end of it is brighter than the brief period of semi-success (3 quick exits from the post season) that followed the 20 years of losing and then dimmed again.