Proposal For 2021 Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: I was just reminded that today, February 2, is the anniversary of the formation of the National League in 1876.  Happy 146th, NL.   
In June 1876 Custer and a large portion of the 7th Cavalry were killed or wounded at the Little Big Horn. The 7th had a baseball team led by Capt. Benteen. Pvt "Fatty" Williams (2B) had signed a contract with the Pittsburgh Alleghenies to join them when his enlistment was up. Sgt. Joe McCurry (pitcher) expected to sign a pro contract soon. Williams and McCurry were in Benteen's company which had a separate fight from Custer's. They survived the battle but both sustained wounds that ended their chances of playing pro ball. 

Thanks for that, Bobster. I love how American history and baseball history are so intertwined. Every time I read something about our history, I think about where baseball was at that time and what was happening within it. The connections are oftentimes fascinating.
Bobster21

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by Bobster21 »

306670646B71616A677042656F636B6E2C61020 wrote: I was just reminded that today, February 2, is the anniversary of the formation of the National League in 1876.  Happy 146th, NL.   
In June 1876 Custer and a large portion of the 7th Cavalry were killed or wounded at the Little Big Horn. The 7th had a baseball team led by Capt. Benteen. Pvt "Fatty" Williams (2B) had signed a contract with the Pittsburgh Alleghenies to join them when his enlistment was up. Sgt. Joe McCurry (pitcher) expected to sign a pro contract soon. Williams and McCurry were in Benteen's company which had a separate fight from Custer's. They survived the battle but both sustained wounds that ended their chances of playing pro ball. 

Thanks for that, Bobster.  I love how American history and baseball history are so intertwined.  Every time I read something about our history, I think about where baseball was at that time and what was happening within it.  The connections are oftentimes fascinating.
My nerdiness extends beyond the Pirates. I also love history, especially researching the Alamo and the Little Big Horn campaign. :)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Proposal For 2021 Season

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5E737E6F68796E2E2D1C0 wrote: I was just reminded that today, February 2, is the anniversary of the formation of the National League in 1876.  Happy 146th, NL.   

Thanks for that, Bobster.  I love how American history and baseball history are so intertwined.  Every time I read something about our history, I think about where baseball was at that time and what was happening within it.  The connections are oftentimes fascinating.
My nerdiness extends beyond the Pirates. I also love history, especially researching the Alamo and the Little Big Horn campaign.  :)

I read a book about Little Big Horn a couple of years ago. Interesting account of what happened. It's one of the places I want to visit.