Official Game Thread - 5/26 - Bucs vs Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

725455425444370 wrote: Polanco misses a pitch in the dirt and then fouls one 2 feet outside before finally missing one in the strike zone. He should bat 9th. The pitcher has a better chance of getting a hit.

He just keeps falling further and further into the abyss.  Whatever happened to his new, improved swing we were told about during Spring Training?

It's past time to just release him and move on.  No one can convince me it would be better to keep him.

It's embarrassing. the opposing pitcher has 2 hits and Polanco has 2 Ks. And the pitcher takes an extra base on Polanco knowing he can't throw the ball to 3B. Whatever happened to the idea that a RFer needs a strong arm to prevent runners from going to 1st to 3rd? I don't think Polanco could even toss a bag of peanuts to the other end of the row when he gets his next job as vendor.

Polanco makes Steve Kemp look like a good defender. (another past failure of this team)

Polanco now has 3 Ks. Maybe Trevor Williams can give him some hitting tips.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7C2A3C28273D2D262B3C0E29232F2722602D4E0 wrote: Polanco misses a pitch in the dirt and then fouls one 2 feet outside before finally missing one in the strike zone. He should bat 9th. The pitcher has a better chance of getting a hit.

He just keeps falling further and further into the abyss.  Whatever happened to his new, improved swing we were told about during Spring Training?

It's past time to just release him and move on.  No one can convince me it would be better to keep him.

I don't know what the record is for the least # of runs in a 162 game season but I'm sure the Bucs have a good shot
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

416C61707766713132030 wrote: Polanco misses a pitch in the dirt and then fouls one 2 feet outside before finally missing one in the strike zone. He should bat 9th. The pitcher has a better chance of getting a hit.

It's embarrassing. the opposing pitcher has 2 hits and Polanco has to Ks. And the pitcher takes an extra base on Polanco knowing he can't throw the ball to 3B. Whatever happened to the idea that a RFer needs a strong arm to prevent runners from going to 1st to 3rd? I don't think Polanco could even toss a bag of peanuts to the other end of the row when he gets his next job as vendor.

Embarrassing is the right way to describe it. The guy can't play anymore, and he's regressing as he continues to be placed in the line-up. What other organization would do this?
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2D7B6D79766C7C777A6D5F78727E7673317C1F0 wrote: Polanco misses a pitch in the dirt and then fouls one 2 feet outside before finally missing one in the strike zone. He should bat 9th. The pitcher has a better chance of getting a hit.

It's embarrassing. the opposing pitcher has 2 hits and Polanco has to Ks. And the pitcher takes an extra base on Polanco knowing he can't throw the ball to 3B. Whatever happened to the idea that a RFer needs a strong arm to prevent runners from going to 1st to 3rd? I don't think Polanco could even toss a bag of peanuts to the other end of the row when he gets his next job as vendor.

Embarrassing is the right way to describe it.  The guy can't play anymore, and he's regressing as he continues to be placed in the line-up.  What other organization would do this?

NONE!!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Instead of continuing to play Polanco in the desperate, misguided hope that he someone gets hot enough to attract another team, maybe it's time to DFA him before he gets any worse. At least if another team picked him up after he cleared waivers they would have to pay the minimum, MLB salary with the Pirates picking up the remainder. That's about all the salary relief the Pirates can expect.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Well folks, we need at least three. Against Kimbrel.

It can happen. He isn't untouchable
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

193439282F3E29696A5B0 wrote: Instead of continuing to play Polanco in the desperate, misguided hope that he someone gets hot enough to attract another team, maybe it's time to DFA him before he gets any worse. At least if another team picked him up after he cleared waivers they would have to pay the minimum, MLB salary with the Pirates picking up the remainder. That's about all the salary relief the Pirates can expect.

I have to think that BC and his staff have at least discussed this.  I'm going to say that they had already decided to give Polanco until the end of this month to show something.  If he doesn't, then he'll be released on June 1. 

Now watch, Polanco will hit a three-run HR to win tonight's game.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

184E584C435949424F586A4D474B434604492A0 wrote: Instead of continuing to play Polanco in the desperate, misguided hope that he someone gets hot enough to attract another team, maybe it's time to DFA him before he gets any worse. At least if another team picked him up after he cleared waivers they would have to pay the minimum, MLB salary with the Pirates picking up the remainder. That's about all the salary relief the Pirates can expect.

I have to think that BC and his staff have at least discussed this.  I'm going to say that they had already decided to give Polanco until the end of this month to show something.  If he doesn't, then he'll be released on June 1. 

might as well let him go and play Craig and Tucker every day to see if they can contribute. If they can't hit 220 then try the next guy (Oliva? Stokes? Alford? Fowler?).
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Gamel's been looking good.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: Instead of continuing to play Polanco in the desperate, misguided hope that he someone gets hot enough to attract another team, maybe it's time to DFA him before he gets any worse. At least if another team picked him up after he cleared waivers they would have to pay the minimum, MLB salary with the Pirates picking up the remainder. That's about all the salary relief the Pirates can expect.
I've read and listened to enough pundits, and they all say the same thing. Not only the remaining salary this season, but the 3 million buyout for 2022 is on the table.

The only way the Pirates could even hope to get a low level prospect is if Polanco maintained a sustained level of good performance at the bat and the field for over a month, with no injuries, the Pirates would STILL have to pick up 90 percent of that money. As BC is not going to send a prospect ala the Liriano trade, this is hopeless.

At some point, Bob just has to eat the money. He already is.

Watch him hit a 3 run HR and tie this thing up, lol