Trade Deadline

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Trade Deadline

Post by Bobster21 »

1F2A3D3D360F3D3D36313D580 wrote: I actually think Ben Cherington has done a great job as Pirates GM.  This past draft just validates it even more.  He does not have the Red Sox or Yankees budget, so he works within Scrooge McNutting's budget.  He was hired for his past successes as a talent evaluator, specifically prospects.  He has put our farm system in a great place for years to come with his trades and drafts.  Will that translate to future success and subsequent playoff appearances?  One can only hope, but without a talented minor league system we have zero chance of success.  I am optimistic we will be successful in the near future.

I would not trade Frazier, just to trade Frazier.  We need to treat our best assets as just that.  Anderson is different, he is a FA after this season.  If we get feelers for him, we listen and if it makes sense we move him.

Even though we might suck, I still want to see them compete against teams.  It was fun to see it the way they did in NY before the AS break.
________

I actually think that Cherington has done a lousy job as GM.  He has been here two years and we have never left last place.  We should keep Frazier and Anderson and add some major league ball players.

How can Cherrington be lousy?  Our man, Dave's all juiced up, telling everyone than Ben has us in some race for #1.  Must be doing pretty good!  ;)

Losing must be what we want him to do.  Heck, maybe we should've kept Huntington.

I keep looking to see if Huntington has been hired by another time. No one is that stupid

I have die hard Red Sox fan friends in Boston who told me the same thing when we hired Cherington.

Two teams have hired Littlefield.  Huntington won't have any problems finding a new club.  Everyone knows who his former bosses were.  He probably received a nice going away present and has enough money for a while.

I think it's significant to add that no team in the 14 years since Littlefield was fired as the Pirates GM has ever given him a job as a GM. It's not unusual for front office people to network and have friends in other organizations who will give them a job when they fail in their own organization. But no one else was dumb enough to hire Littlefield as a GM. Huntington will likely get another job in MLB. But it'll be interesting to see if anyone else hires the architect of the Archer trade to run their club.
GreenWeenie

Trade Deadline

Post by GreenWeenie »

For all his ineptitude, Huntington ended the longest consecutive year losing streak among major league team sports in American history, and, though diluted, made post-season play three consecutive years. He did it with BOB and Coinnelly for bosses.

I wasn't making member of this board then, but on our former one, not many considered him incompetent. He had several apologists.

Who cares about titles? They'll make plenty of bank. That's the bottom line. If Cherington could find a job, just about anyone outside of an embezzler can. Ben has made stupid decisions. Name a GM who hasn't. Stick around long enough. It's only a matter of time.
ArnoldRothstein

Trade Deadline

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

NH had two years on his contract, which would have taken him to this fall. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up: there's a pretty strong youth/analytical tide now, so he's starting off as a dinosaur even before an employer would start looking at 2016-19.
GreenWeenie

Trade Deadline

Post by GreenWeenie »

He was big into analytics, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him manage that sort of thing. Some guys go into some form of media. We shall see.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0035222229102222292E22470 wrote: I actually think Ben Cherington has done a great job as Pirates GM.  This past draft just validates it even more.  He does not have the Red Sox or Yankees budget, so he works within Scrooge McNutting's budget.  He was hired for his past successes as a talent evaluator, specifically prospects.  He has put our farm system in a great place for years to come with his trades and drafts.  Will that translate to future success and subsequent playoff appearances?  One can only hope, but without a talented minor league system we have zero chance of success.  I am optimistic we will be successful in the near future.

I would not trade Frazier, just to trade Frazier.  We need to treat our best assets as just that.  Anderson is different, he is a FA after this season.  If we get feelers for him, we listen and if it makes sense we move him.

Even though we might suck, I still want to see them compete against teams.  It was fun to see it the way they did in NY before the AS break.
________

I actually think that Cherington has done a lousy job as GM.  He has been here two years and we have never left last place.  We should keep Frazier and Anderson and add some major league ball players.

How can Cherrington be lousy?  Our man, Dave's all juiced up, telling everyone than Ben has us in some race for #1.  Must be doing pretty good!  ;)

Losing must be what we want him to do.  Heck, maybe we should've kept Huntington.

here, have another! It's on the house! [smiley=beer.gif]
fjk090852-7

Trade Deadline

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read at MLB Trade Rumors that the Phils are looking for backend starting pitchers,and relief help. I think BC should give them a call and see what the Phillies can offer for Anderson and Rich Rod.
GreenWeenie

Trade Deadline

Post by GreenWeenie »

They have a guy with 17 HRs, 52 RBIs, and calls Pittsburgh home.  Not that we need any bonafide, legitimate, authentic, MLB OUTFIELDERS, or anything.
WildwoodDave2

Trade Deadline

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6C60613A333A323F38273D0A0 wrote: Just read at MLB Trade Rumors that the Phils are looking for backend starting pitchers,and  relief help. I think BC should give them a call and see what the Phillies can offer for Anderson and Rich Rod.
Not that it is any big surprise. but MLB has Rich Rod as the most likely to go
WildwoodDave2

Trade Deadline

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

040809525B525A57504F55620 wrote: Just read at MLB Trade Rumors that the Phils are looking for backend starting pitchers,and  relief help. I think BC should give them a call and see what the Phillies can offer for Anderson and Rich Rod.
First big deal- not sure of the particulars but Nelson Cruz goes to the Rays
Surgnbuck

Trade Deadline

Post by Surgnbuck »

07393C34273F3F341431263562500 wrote: Just read at MLB Trade Rumors that the Phils are looking for backend starting pitchers,and  relief help. I think BC should give them a call and see what the Phillies can offer for Anderson and Rich Rod.
First big deal- not sure of the particulars but Nelson Cruz goes to the Rays
Rays also get a pitcher at AA. Twins get two AAA pitchers, the 10th and 17th ranked prospects in the Rays organization.

No cash moving, so Rays will be paying 5 million to Cruz, according to MLB website.