Shane Baz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Shane Baz

Post by Surgnbuck »

063324242F1624242F2824410 wrote:

So far, with this Travis Williams, I wonder what on earth the guy does or why he's even there.  Both were/are nothing more than human BOB Nutting shields, AFAIAC.
You don't go to games, but for those of us who do, especially as a STH, Williams is definitely doing good things compared to Coonelly. The fans have a say in the game day experience, and what they have suggested is being put to play. Not to mention, again as a STH, Williams has once again made me feel valued and the service is beyond stellar.
johnfluharty

Shane Baz

Post by johnfluharty »

5A7C7B6E676B7C6A62090 wrote:

So far, with this Travis Williams, I wonder what on earth the guy does or why he's even there.  Both were/are nothing more than human BOB Nutting shields, AFAIAC.
You don't go to games, but for those of us who do, especially as a STH, Williams is definitely doing good things compared to Coonelly. The fans have a say in the game day experience, and what they have suggested is being put to play. Not to mention, again as a STH, Williams has once again made me feel valued and the service is beyond stellar.

Good to hear!
GreenWeenie

Shane Baz

Post by GreenWeenie »

466067727B7760767E150 wrote:

Nice :'( to hear, but I don't see anything specific listed. What have they done to make you feel better about the game day experience? Unless it's something major, it doesn't seem to justify his pay. I assume that he didn't come cheap.
Surgnbuck

Shane Baz

Post by Surgnbuck »

1B2E3939320B39393235395C0 wrote:

Nice :'( to hear, but I don't see anything specific listed.  What have they done to make you feel better about the game day experience?  Unless it's something major, it doesn't seem to justify his pay.  I assume that he didn't come cheap.

No offense, but I mentioned this in a thread a good while back, and quite frankly, your first response to anything positive about the Pirates is to join up with Shed and put a negative spin on it.

Pure and simple, the game day experience has a lot of fan input. They had sessions held at PNC Park with STH's of all levels (full, half, 20 game, shared) fans that had the various bonus type plans (the six pack plan a couple years ago, the 10 game plan, etc.) and we discussed everything during brainstorming sessions on things like parking, ticketing, getting through the gates, concessions, start times, in game entertainment, and as STH's how we felt things had changed for better or worse. Getting the concourse congestion cleared. The way concessions are set up. The increase in the number of dollar dog nights, there was previously only one under the FC regime, the second home game of the year. Did you notice the start times? A lot of that came from these focus groups. As a STH, under Williams, because last season was fanless, they still sent us a gift package that included any promotional give aways, calendars, hand sanitizer, face masks, stuff like that.

Some of what they are doing, they used to do when I first became a STH in 2008. Once the team started winning, FC pulled back most of the bennies from the STH's. Gone were the extra game tickets. In 2011, my level received 4 Pittsburgh Baseball Club tickets (STH's are on various levels depending on how much money you spend). Then it became 4 All You Can Eat seats (that section has been long gone) in 2013, 2 AYCE seats in 2014, then down to 2 corner boxes that could only be used Mon-Thurs. They had a prize wheel that fans would spin and win stuff, a lot of it left over promotional items like bobbleheads, the 1971 Championship team beer Stein, umbrellas, etc. Then that stuff was replaced with coupons, then they were gone. IDK if those will come back, but part of it was FC wanted those areas to put more bars, and didn't want the lines blocking the way.

Williams has made being a STH something special again. You can't get better service anywhere for anything than STH's do with the Pirates.
GreenWeenie

Shane Baz

Post by GreenWeenie »

I join with opinions regardless of who makes them. I've agreed with Bobster on a number of matters, too.

What you wrote here speaks favorably of the franchise, in my opinion. It's good for them to treat the most loyal fans well.

As for the rest, criticism is both fair and justified in many cases. The record speaks for itself.
Surgnbuck

Shane Baz

Post by Surgnbuck »

536671717A4371717A7D71140 wrote: I join with opinions regardless of who makes them.  I've agreed with Bobster on a number of matters, too.

What you wrote here speaks favorably of the franchise, in my opinion.  It's good for them to treat the most loyal fans well.

As for the rest, criticism is both fair and justified in many cases.  The record speaks for itself.
The baseball stuff is the baseball stuff. People who won't/can't/refuse to attend games at PNC have no business commenting on what goes on during a game. That's what I was referring to. IDK if the stuff I mentioned justifies his pay, the fan experience is only part of it.

Most of all, anyone who attended many games whether a STH or casual gate crasher, knows the difference with Williams. With FC, everything seemed to be about the buck. Like the tickets and prize wheel. But it was under FC that Legacy Square just up and disappeared without any public notice about it, or even why. Thankfully, Josh Gibson's grandson was able to track down the busts of the Negro League Legends that were displayed. There was an interactive setup also, so people could learn about the Negro Leagues. He literally vaporized it, and eventually a bar took over part of the area.

When Pepsi was a major sponsor, they had the Pepsi signs at the back of the Clemente Wall stands. When a Pirate hit a HR, they would spin and make like sparklers. Seems cheesy, but it was fun. When Pepsi was no longer a sponsor, the signs were up there minus the Pepsi logo. They no longer did the mini sparklers. Cost money.

I complained that the radio broadcast wasn't being piped into all the bathrooms all of a sudden. One of the workers told me that once a system failed, they didn't want to fix it. IDK how true that may have been, but it wouldn't surprise me if true.

They still have issues this season with staffing (what business doesn't it seems). The cashless thing has been a learning curve for the employees and fans alike, but each time it improves.

All tickets are digital, which I know upset a lot of fans, but that was an MLB initiative. Under FC, I had to pay extra to have paper tickets his last season for my season tickets. I didn't have to do that under Williams, just a small token of thanks to STH.

Who knows, maybe if the Pirates get good again, Williams will savagely look to squeeze every cent just like FC did.
SammyKhalifa

Shane Baz

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Getting rid of the Negro League display was just abyssmal. They would have been much better off if they has just never installed it at all.

Surgnbuck

Shane Baz

Post by Surgnbuck »

162428283C0E2D24292C2324450 wrote: Getting rid of the Negro League display was just abyssmal.  They would have been much better off if they has just never installed it at all. 

I agree. It was a point brought up during those sessions, as well as a noticeable lack of history of the franchise within the park. Yes, there are the 4 statues. In the PBC level, there are some memorabilia, but you have to have a PBC or suite ticket to get in and see the stuff, my favorite being a sport coat of Bob Prince.

When I went to Miwaukee, they had a really cool historical area with murals paying homage to baseball in the city, including the Braves. I didn't have time to really scope out if the Nationals had something like that. It's been way too long since I was at Dodger Stadium and Anaheim Stadium to remember if they had anything. I only saw the Padres at The Murph and the Giants at Candlestick, and can't remember if they had anything either.
Surgnbuck

Shane Baz

Post by Surgnbuck »

Sorry, I apologize for being part of taking this thread way off topic.
GreenWeenie

Shane Baz

Post by GreenWeenie »

577176636A6671676F040 wrote: I join with opinions regardless of who makes them.  I've agreed with Bobster on a number of matters, too.

What you wrote here speaks favorably of the franchise, in my opinion.  It's good for them to treat the most loyal fans well.

As for the rest, criticism is both fair and justified in many cases.  The record speaks for itself.
The baseball stuff is the baseball stuff. People who won't/can't/refuse to attend games at PNC have no business commenting on what goes on during a game. That's what I was referring to. IDK if the stuff I mentioned justifies his pay, the fan experience is only part of it.

Most of all, anyone who attended many games whether a STH or casual gate crasher, knows the difference with Williams. With FC, everything seemed to be about the buck. Like the tickets and prize wheel. But it was under FC that Legacy Square just up and disappeared without any public notice about it, or even why. Thankfully, Josh Gibson's grandson was able to track down the busts of the Negro League Legends that were displayed. There was an interactive setup also, so people could learn about the Negro Leagues. He literally vaporized it, and eventually a bar took over part of the area.

When Pepsi was a major sponsor, they had the Pepsi signs at the back of the Clemente Wall stands. When a Pirate hit a HR, they would spin and make like sparklers. Seems cheesy, but it was fun. When Pepsi was no longer a sponsor, the signs were up there minus the Pepsi logo. They no longer did the mini sparklers. Cost money.

I complained that the radio broadcast wasn't being piped into all the bathrooms all of a sudden. One of the workers told me that once a system failed, they didn't want to fix it. IDK how true that may have been, but it wouldn't surprise me if true.

They still have issues this season with staffing (what business doesn't it seems). The cashless thing has been a learning curve for the employees and fans alike, but each time it improves.

All tickets are digital, which I know upset a lot of fans, but that was an MLB initiative. Under FC, I had to pay extra to have paper tickets his last season for my season tickets. I didn't have to do that under Williams, just a small token of thanks to STH.

Who knows, maybe if the Pirates get good again, Williams will savagely look to squeeze every cent just like FC did.

See what happens when I COMPLIMENT the franchise?

All I wrote was that i's good when a business does good things for its most loyal customers. That's a general statement.

Someone has to take issue with that.

I stopped going to a restaurant when its menu changed and they had nothing on the menu that people watching sugar should eat much of.

I told a friend that I might go back if the menu changed.

But, I have no business making that comment because I no longer go to the restaurant? OK. That makes a lot of sense.