Frazier traded to Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by DemDog »

Here I am, just lurking this weekend.  More from MLBTR

Frazier Traded to Padres

The deal sounds okay to me. And sending the $1.4 million along with Frazier sure as heck does not sound like a salary dump me.
ChillinStation

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by ChillinStation »

Suwinski looks interesting to me . We need power hitters and his AA stats aren`t too much different than Mason Martins.
GreenWeenie

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by GreenWeenie »

092429383F2E39797A4B0 wrote: We get a couple of A ball suspects.  A flat out salary dump.
Where do you get your misinformation? They are reporting Marcano who is in AAA and is SD's #8 prospect and Suwinski who is in AA with 15 HRs in 216 ABs. And possibly 1 or more others.

Marcano is a utility guy that can't hit for shit.  He wouldn't be in the top 10 if SD didn't go crazy unloading its farm system last summer.  Suwinski isn't anywhere in their top 30 and the other dude only has 44 career at bats in the minor leagues at the age of 21.  We are sending 1.4 million to SD to get an upgrade in talent.  There is ZERO good in this deal.  Unless Suwinski turns into Jason Bay, nothing to see here at all.

I guess you're basing your analysis of Marcano on his first 44 ABs in MLB (.182). In 2018 he hit .395 in rookie league and .314 in low A. In 2018 he hit .270 in A-ball. There were no minor leagues in 2020 and he skipped AA and went to AAA this year where he has hit .272. I don't know much about him but it's pretty clear he can hit. 

So can Adam Frazier.

One thing about baseball: There's always next year. There's always a future to sell.
fjk090852-7

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I like Suwinski, and Marcano which the Pirates received, but I am not sure about the pitcher. By acquiring another middle infielder, this could be the end of Cole Tucker. He may be packaged in a deal this week as well.
johnfluharty

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by johnfluharty »

There's always next year.
Well that's just the thing. For Frazier, there's only next year, and we're probably not going to be competing for anything next year.  Plus, at 29, he is likely on the down slope.  Yes, at some point we have to stop trading away talent to acquire more talent, and hopefully that's soon, but it's not this year.
WiffleballHero

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by WiffleballHero »

0B2A220B20284F0 wrote:

The deal sounds okay to me.  And sending the $1.4 million along with Frazier sure as heck does not sound like a salary dump me. 

Nutting is so cheap that when he dumps salary, he *only* sends along $1.4 million to sweeten the deal.
WildwoodDave2

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

130805040D010E600 wrote: So now we have given San Diego a possible Cy Young pitcher and a possible batting champion for nothing.  Cherington is ruining this organization.
That possible Cy Young Winner is currently 6-7 with a good Padres Club. One of the players we received was David Bednar who is 2-1 with a 2.77 ERA on a lousy ball club. When R Rod goes

Bednar will probably be next years closer.
GreenWeenie

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by GreenWeenie »

525750565E544D50594A4C41380 wrote: There's always next year.
Well that's just the thing. For Frazier, there's only next year, and we're probably not going to be competing for anything next year.  Plus, at 29, he is likely on the down slope.  Yes, at some point we have to stop trading away talent to acquire more talent, and hopefully that's soon, but it's not this year.

The most recently it's been 'this year' was 42 years ago.

Not that anyone's counting. ;)
johnfluharty

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by johnfluharty »

0035222229102222292E22470 wrote: There's always next year.

The most recently it's been 'this year' was 42 years ago. 

Not that anyone's counting.  ;)

Are you suggesting we haven't added anyone to improve the team during a contending year for 42 years? I guess guess I'd have to look to see if we actually added anyone during the 90s run but I don't recall any big additions during the more recent one, which would be the only time it was relevant since Nutting owned the team.
GreenWeenie

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by GreenWeenie »

7B4540485B434348684D5A491E2C0 wrote: So now we have given San Diego a possible Cy Young pitcher and a possible batting champion for nothing.  Cherington is ruining this organization.
That possible Cy Young Winner is currently 6-7 with a good Padres Club. One of the players we received was David Bednar who is 2-1 with a 2.77 ERA on a lousy ball club. When R Rod goes

Bednar will probably be next years closer.

Joe MustGroove's 3.13 ERA wouldn't help us at all.  Some of the unimpressive WP could be from run support or defense..  It happens. 

I get a kick out of, "we stink this year, so might as well dump them."  Maybe part of the reason that we stink is because we dumped guys before for nobody.  @@@@@  Let's improve the Grasshoppers.  No sense of urgency what so ever.