Draft Signings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Draft Signings

Post by IABucFan »

521108130015041252610 wrote: "2nd-rder Anthony Solometo signs w/Pirates for $2.8 million (pick 37 value = $1,999,300). New Jersey HS product, some clubs thought best LHP in MLB Draft. Low-90s fastball w/projection remaining, flashes true slider, feel for changeup, advanced for prep arm. North Carolina recruit." - Callis

Great news, but that's a little more than I anticipated. I expected he'd sign in the $2.5 million range. His deal eats $800,700 out of our overslot money. Still $2,748,800 available to play with before losing picks.

To the subtopic on this thread...the 2021 Pirates are horrible. They show flashes here and there. May win a series once in a while. They're not as bad as last year. But this is a last place baseball team by a wide margin. I wouldn't pay ten cents to go to a game and see this team lose. I'm not judging those that do. I just won't do it. I'm interested in the draft and the farm because the MLB team sucks. I'm not interested in watching them lose night after night. So, I turn my attention to the only place hope lies in this organization...the minors and the draft.

To that end, the Bucs have an important series this week for the 2022 draft. Go D-Backs! That was a good loss last night. Two more, and it's a six game swing for the first pick next year, and accompanying bonus pool money.
IABucFan

Draft Signings

Post by IABucFan »

Interesting tidbits...Bubba Chandler has on his Twitter profile "Ballplayer for the Pirates" and has a pinned retweet of the Bucs announcing that they'd drafted him that says, "Let's get to work."

Lonnie White, Jr. still has himself listed as a Penn State football commit, and a pinned tweet of him signing with Penn State that says, "100% committed." He's going to be a tough sign.

Bishop has been pretty clear that he intends to go to Arkansas next year.

Here's to hoping we can at least sign the Big Four (two already in the bag, obviously).
BellevueBuc

Draft Signings

Post by BellevueBuc »

636B685F496C4B442A0 wrote: Interesting tidbits...Bubba Chandler has on his Twitter profile "Ballplayer for the Pirates" and has a pinned retweet of the Bucs announcing that they'd drafted him that says, "Let's get to work."

Lonnie White, Jr. still has himself listed as a Penn State football commit, and a pinned tweet of him signing with Penn State that says, "100% committed." He's going to be a tough sign.

Here's to hoping we can at least sign the Big Four (two already in the bag, obviously).

Chandler signing is not really in question. There is likely an order these guys have to come in for it all to work and avoid issues that could come up with physicals.

Bishop seems pretty likely to sign, his coach and Arkansas folks think he signs. Sounds like the Pirates offered a number, he asked for another one and they will just meet in the middle. Daniel Corona seems like the lone question mark, assuming all the college players sign. A.J. Graham seems like a late bloomer a scout saw while watching someone else.
rucker59@gmail.com

Draft Signings

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5671787871626171566177140 wrote: Interesting tidbits...Bubba Chandler has on his Twitter profile "Ballplayer for the Pirates" and has a pinned retweet of the Bucs announcing that they'd drafted him that says, "Let's get to work."

Chandler signing is not really in question.  There is likely an order these guys have to come in for it all to work and avoid issues that could come up with physicals.

Bishop seems pretty likely to sign, his coach and Arkansas folks think he signs.  Sounds like the Pirates offered a number, he asked for another one and they will just meet in the middle. Daniel Corona seems like the lone question mark, assuming all the college players sign. A.J. Graham seems like a late bloomer a scout saw while watching someone else.

Are you saying Bishop is expected to sign with the Pirates or with Ark?

Thanks for the info!
BellevueBuc

Draft Signings

Post by BellevueBuc »

3730262E2037707C052228242C296B262A28450 wrote: Interesting tidbits...Bubba Chandler has on his Twitter profile "Ballplayer for the Pirates" and has a pinned retweet of the Bucs announcing that they'd drafted him that says, "Let's get to work."

Chandler signing is not really in question.  There is likely an order these guys have to come in for it all to work and avoid issues that could come up with physicals.

Bishop seems pretty likely to sign, his coach and Arkansas folks think he signs.  Sounds like the Pirates offered a number, he asked for another one and they will just meet in the middle. Daniel Corona seems like the lone question mark, assuming all the college players sign. A.J. Graham seems like a late bloomer a scout saw while watching someone else.

Thanks for the info!

Sign with the Pirates. Pirates countered their initial offer with a deal in the middle, which he is expected to agree to. Could change I guess.

https://twitter.com/jprugar26/status/14 ... 19269?s=20

Jack Carey (11), Owen Sharts (13) and Tyler Samaniego (15) all signed as well.
rucker59@gmail.com

Draft Signings

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

75525B5B52414252754254370 wrote: Interesting tidbits...Bubba Chandler has on his Twitter profile "Ballplayer for the Pirates" and has a pinned retweet of the Bucs announcing that they'd drafted him that says, "Let's get to work."

Thanks for the info!

Sign with the Pirates. Pirates countered their initial offer with a deal in the middle, which he is expected to agree to.  Could change I guess.

https://twitter.com/jprugar26/status/14 ... 19269?s=20

Jack Carey (11), Owen Sharts (13) and Tyler Samaniego (15) all signed as well.

Thanks! That would be amazing.

Ben is building something!
GreenWeenie

Draft Signings

Post by GreenWeenie »

Yeah. Wonder when he'll get around to the here and now?
johnfluharty

Draft Signings

Post by johnfluharty »

6C594E4E457C4E4E45424E2B0 wrote: Yeah.  Wonder when he'll get around to the here and now?

That all depends on whether they've actually fixed our development system.  If our minor league players begin graduating to the majors and performing well, then in theory we might start to see the FO adding some quality free agents to the major league team.  I doubt we ever see anyone expensive brought in, but maybe we could see some mid-tier guys - not holding my breath on that either though.
GreenWeenie

Draft Signings

Post by GreenWeenie »

By the time he gets around to focusing on The Here And Now, Here And Now will mean that it will be Time To Dump Again. It's a conveyor belt.

But, let's see.
BellevueBuc

Draft Signings

Post by BellevueBuc »

1C293E3E350C3E3E35323E5B0 wrote: Yeah.  Wonder when he'll get around to the here and now?

Not really possible to turn a 40ish win team into a winner that fast. Plus they would have ended up with Trevor Bauer.