Where Do We Place Henry Davis In Our System?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

694F4E594F5F2C0 wrote: For as bad as our catching depth in the system .. and it sucked completely, BC has done a good job with this.

yep, he changed the catching depth over a couple weeks of the season.

Yes, but some will tell you that it'll take 47 more years before the Pirates will win because of Cherington's kick-the-can-down-the-road plan, which is why he left a good Blue Jays organization to come here and intentionally fail.   ::)

I noticed most (all?) of those people were no longer commenting on Ben and the draft.  Silence can be really Loud sometimes. 

We all want the team to be competitive right now.  We all want the Pirates to be owned by someone who puts winning above profit.  So I'm not sure how anyone can think that competitiveness was going to happen within two seasons with the players who were in the organization, and with an owner who won't spend.  This organization is being built in the only way that's possible here:  through young talent acquisition.  We all knew that's what BC would do, so why complain when he doesn't do business like the Yankees, Dodgers, or Red Sox?   

Agree 100%.

And when BC took over, it wasn’t just the major league team that looked hopeless, the farm was down and out.  I was as pessimistic as anyone even last winter. But I’m willing to rethink my position and even acknowledge when I’m wrong: I was wrong about Ben.  The guy is knocking it out of the park. 

What’s crazy to me is that, as you said, “we all want to win” but some people seem to take no joy where the organization is being very successful.  I think maybe some people would rather Nutting fail than have him get the benefits of others work.  Frankly, I actually get that. 

My anger in the past was directed at Huntington.  He failed over and over to acquire amateur talent, as he said he would do, to replenish the system as players reached free agency.  And then his poor decisions from the end of the 2015 season and beyond were what put this organization in the bad position BC found it in.  The only thing to do was to start over, one of the major reasons being what you indicated, the farm system being decimated.

I just don't understand how anyone can complain about what he's doing.  We all knew that was what he was going to do.

Ben's move just show how bad overall Neil turned out to be.  Neil wasn't fired because of a couple poor seasons at the ML level.  He was fired because the entire organization lacked talent.

Exactly. He was really bad at recognizing and developing talent.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

3B3C2A222C3B7C70092E24282025672A2624490 wrote: For as bad as our catching depth in the system .. and it sucked completely, BC has done a good job with this.

Yes, but some will tell you that it'll take 47 more years before the Pirates will win because of Cherington's kick-the-can-down-the-road plan, which is why he left a good Blue Jays organization to come here and intentionally fail.   ::)

I noticed most (all?) of those people were no longer commenting on Ben and the draft.  Silence can be really Loud sometimes. 

We all want the team to be competitive right now.  We all want the Pirates to be owned by someone who puts winning above profit.  So I'm not sure how anyone can think that competitiveness was going to happen within two seasons with the players who were in the organization, and with an owner who won't spend.  This organization is being built in the only way that's possible here:  through young talent acquisition.  We all knew that's what BC would do, so why complain when he doesn't do business like the Yankees, Dodgers, or Red Sox?   

Agree 100%.

And when BC took over, it wasn’t just the major league team that looked hopeless, the farm was down and out.  I was as pessimistic as anyone even last winter. But I’m willing to rethink my position and even acknowledge when I’m wrong: I was wrong about Ben.  The guy is knocking it out of the park. 

What’s crazy to me is that, as you said, “we all want to win” but some people seem to take no joy where the organization is being very successful.  I think maybe some people would rather Nutting fail than have him get the benefits of others work.  Frankly, I actually get that. 

My anger in the past was directed at Huntington.  He failed over and over to acquire amateur talent, as he said he would do, to replenish the system as players reached free agency.  And then his poor decisions from the end of the 2015 season and beyond were what put this organization in the bad position BC found it in.  The only thing to do was to start over, one of the major reasons being what you indicated, the farm system being decimated.

I just don't understand how anyone can complain about what he's doing.  We all knew that was what he was going to do.

The most hopeless and pointless season possible is to be playing for nothing.  After 20 losing seasons it was critical the Pirates broke .500.  Otherwise .500 is mediocrity and nothing to play for.  I would be much more miserable this season if the Pirates were sitting at .500, wrestling with the Cardinals for 3rd place, safely behind the Brewers and the Reds.

This season isn't much, but its at least part of a long term plan that I think is the only possible chance to actually play for something.

Agreed.  The Pirates were going to have to go backwards this year in order to move forward.  It might even be that way next year, at least maybe for the first part.  But I believe we’ll start to see the beginnings of a competitive team begin to emerge in the second half of next season, at least from the everyday players.  The pitching needs a lot of work.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

663026323D27373C3126143339353D387A37540 wrote: For as bad as our catching depth in the system .. and it sucked completely, BC has done a good job with this.

Agree 100%.

The most hopeless and pointless season possible is to be playing for nothing.  After 20 losing seasons it was critical the Pirates broke .500.  Otherwise .500 is mediocrity and nothing to play for.  I would be much more miserable this season if the Pirates were sitting at .500, wrestling with the Cardinals for 3rd place, safely behind the Brewers and the Reds.

This season isn't much, but its at least part of a long term plan that I think is the only possible chance to actually play for something.

Agreed.  The Pirates were going to have to go backwards this year in order to move forward.  It might even be that way next year, at least maybe for the first part.  But I believe we’ll start to see the beginnings of a competitive team begin to emerge in the second half of next season, at least from the everyday players.  The pitching needs a lot of work.

I am in agreement doc. I'm sure Shedman is also
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

As WTM reported in the minor leagues thread, Davis wasn't getting chances to play due to covid postponements and his team's light schedule. He had only played 2 games but had 2 doubles and a HR. This move will give him more chances to play.