Re: Official Game Thread - 8/12 - Pirates vs Cardinals

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Meaniningful/Meaningless (You Decide) Bucs Stat of the Day:

Longest Winning Streaks- 4, 3 occurences.

Longest Losing Streaks- 10, followed by the current 8, then a few 6's.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

192C3B3B30093B3B30373B5E0 wrote: Meaniningful/Meaningless (You Decide) Bucs Stat of the Day:

Longest Winning Streaks- 4, 3 occurrences.

As putrid as the hitting is, it seems to be the nonexistent pitching controlling the streaks.

The longest winning streaks were 3 games (4 occurrences). One of those winning streaks ended due to bad hitting as they lost 3-1. But the other 3 winning streaks ended by scores of 9-6, 14-3 and 7-6.

During the current 8 game losing streak there have been games surrendering 7, 10 and 11 runs.

In the 10 game losing streak there were game surrendering 6, 7, 7 and 8 runs.

In the three 6 game losing streaks there were games surrendering (14 and 11 runs), (20, 6, 7 and 5 runs), and (8, 6, 7, 7 and 11 runs).

There are only 3 or 4 pitchers on the entire staff who even belong in the majors. In the NL the Pirates are 2nd worst in team ERA, 3rd worst in hits allowed, 2nd worst in runs allowed, 4th worst in walks allowed and 2nd worst in WHIP. They have the 2nd fewest shutouts and are 1 of only 2 NL teams without a CG. Their massive run differential of -183 is the combination of terrible hitting and noncompetitive pitching.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote: Meaniningful/Meaningless (You Decide) Bucs Stat of the Day:

As putrid as the hitting is, it seems to be the nonexistent pitching controlling the streaks.

The longest winning streaks were 3 games (4 occurrences). One of those winning streaks ended due to bad hitting as they lost 3-1. But the other 3 winning streaks ended by scores of 9-6, 14-3 and 7-6.

During the current 8 game losing streak there have been games surrendering 7, 10 and 11 runs.

In the three 6 game losing streaks there were games surrendering (14 and 11 runs), (20, 6, 7 and 5 runs), and (8, 6, 7, 7 and 11 runs).

There are only 3 or 4 pitchers on the entire staff who even belong in the majors. In the NL the Pirates are 2nd worst in team ERA, 3rd worst in hits allowed, 2nd worst in runs allowed, 4th worst in walks allowed and 2nd worst in WHIP. They have the 2nd fewest shutouts and are 1 of only 2 NL teams without a CG. Their massive run differential of -183 is the combination of terrible hitting and noncompetitive pitching.

And for those reasons, it’s going to be tough for the team to win even 12 games the rest of the way.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: Meaniningful/Meaningless (You Decide) Bucs Stat of the Day:

As we used to say in our former home, those who never saw it coming, either....

....weren't paying attention, or

.... didn't want to see it coming.

What was Shed and my criticism before Opening Day?  Talent Given Away > Talent Received.

I understand the reason, but I also knew the effect that it would have on the team.

We'll be paying the price for that for a while.  I sure hope that it's not a long while.

A WC appearance or three and early exits will not be worth this, AFAIAC.  Gotta go beyond that.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

143934252233246467560 wrote: Meaniningful/Meaningless (You Decide) Bucs Stat of the Day:

Sorry.

Not sorry- I agree with everything you have here.

It's also the result of a Bad Manager, Bad Younger Calliope Players (lack of experience,) at least one Bad Announcer, and two Bad Fans. :)

Say what you will. I would gladly take the Bell and Taillon trades back. I give a pass because I have to think that BOB's penny pinching act was behind them. Either that, or they knew that neither intended to stay long (no team-friendly extension.)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

251007070C3507070C0B07620 wrote: Meaniningful/Meaningless (You Decide) Bucs Stat of the Day:

Sorry.

Not sorry- I agree with everything you have here.

It's also the result of a Bad Manager, Bad Younger Calliope Players (lack of experience,) at least one Bad Announcer, and two Bad Fans.  :)

Say what you will.  I would gladly take the Bell and Taillon trades back.  I give a pass because I have to think that BOB's penny pinching act was behind them.  Either that, or they knew that neither intended to stay long (no team-friendly extension.)

I think it's a foregone conclusion that no player will stay with the Pirates any longer than he has to. Any player with value is going to receive FA offers consistent with the market from teams that offer much more in terms of competitiveness than the Pirates can offer. So even if Nutting offered market value there would be no reason for the player to accept it from him. Therefore, just to hold onto players as they reach free agency, the Pirates would have to grossly overpay. And just imagine putting "grossly overpay" and "Nutting" in the same sentence. Ain't gonna happen.

Bell and Taillon were nearing the end of their Pirate careers. I can't blame BC for dealing them. Bell was one dimensional and Taillon never got untracked due to health concerns. It remains to be seen if BC got a fair return for them, which is always the case when you trade established major leaguers for prospects.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

If a talent like Andrew McCutchen wanted to stay, some others would. That's on BOB.

I'll agree to disagree on Bell and Taillon. Regardless, their trades did little to improve the club. Maybe it will help a future team; not this one, the 2021 club.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1A2F3838330A38383334385D0 wrote: If a talent like Andrew McCutchen wanted to stay, some others would.  That's on BOB.

I'll agree to disagree on Bell and Taillon.  Regardless, their trades did little to improve the club.  Maybe it will help a future team; not this one, the 2021 club.
Exactly. The trades were not intended to improve the 2021 club. They were intended to improve the pipeline of talent leading to the Pirates over the next year or two instead of the lost cause that is 2021. Which is why I say it remains to be seen if BC made good deals. I realize that is the strategy. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't express our dissatisfaction with how bad they've allowed the 2021 team to be. I'm guessing BC (like most humans) has never worked for an owner as awful as Nutting. It's clear BC punted on 2021 and set his sights on improvements for subsequent years. But between how bad the 2021 roster is and how bad it's been handled by Shelton, it shows a total disregard for loyal fans who-even if they understand the strategy-deserve something more to watch than this craptastic season they've presented us with.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree again. I think Shelton was a bad hire.

Cherington did not execute well when he hired Shelton.

Shelton might become a good manager someday, but not now, and he's not the manager this team needs.

But, no one who is qualified would take the job unless they need the money.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

D-backs hammer Pads, 12-3. They're human.