Pirate Moves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Pirate Moves

Post by DemDog »

Padlo is just a minor league filler. I don't imagine we will see him in Pgh.
WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

37746D766570617737040 wrote: "Pirates have claimed INF Kevin Padlo from the Mariners and optioned him to Triple-A.

Jake Marisnick was released from the 40-man roster.

Taylor Davis cleared waivers, outrighted to Triple-A Indy and added to the taxi squad." - Mackey

https://twitter.com/JMackeyPG/status/15 ... 8979630080

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ke01.shtml
Marisnic gone, hopefully VanMeter is next
3pirates3

Pirate Moves

Post by 3pirates3 »

Yoshi has been released.
Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

Marisnick was a good reserve OFer. Excellent defensively, had speed and even hit a couple HRs. But on this team, he was just blocking players who need the playing time. They've got Gamel, Reynolds, Mitchell, Madris, Allen and Marcano for OF.

That leaves us with VanMeter. They have Chavis and Madris for 1B. They have Newman and Marcano for 2B. They have Hayes and Marcano for 3B. They have Cruz, Newman or Marcano for SS. So they don't need VanMeter. And they have Castillo, Castro and Park at AAA because VanMeter is taking up an unnecessary roster spot.
WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: Marisnick was a good reserve OFer. Excellent defensively, had speed and even hit a couple HRs. But on this team, he was just blocking players who need the playing time. They've got Gamel, Reynolds, Mitchell, Madris, Allen and Marcano for OF.

That leaves us with VanMeter. They have Chavis and Madris for 1B. They have Newman and Marcano for 2B. They have Hayes and Marcano for 3B. They have Cruz, Newman or Marcano for SS. So they don't need VanMeter. And they have Castillo, Castro and Park at AAA because VanMeter is taking up an unnecessary roster spot. 
I believe you left out Suwinski
Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

645A5F57445C5C577752455601330 wrote: Marisnick was a good reserve OFer. Excellent defensively, had speed and even hit a couple HRs. But on this team, he was just blocking players who need the playing time. They've got Gamel, Reynolds, Mitchell, Madris, Allen and Marcano for OF.

I was mentioning the OFers currently on the roster making Marisnick superfluous and the infielders making VanMeter unnecessary.

Suwinski got off to a slow start at Indy but has hit .343 in his past 9 games and .254 overall there. It's probably doing him good to face AAA pitching after skipping that level. I'm sure he'll return Sept 1 if not sooner. But they may feel like they had a good look at him already and want to give PT to Mitchell and Madris and Marcano now, since this season seems to be all about taking a look at the young guys.
WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

785558494E5F48080B3A0 wrote: Marisnick was a good reserve OFer. Excellent defensively, had speed and even hit a couple HRs. But on this team, he was just blocking players who need the playing time. They've got Gamel, Reynolds, Mitchell, Madris, Allen and Marcano for OF.

I was mentioning the OFers currently on the roster making Marisnick superfluous and the infielders making VanMeter unnecessary.

Suwinski got off to a slow start at Indy but has hit .343 in his past 9 games and .254 overall there. It's probably doing him good to face AAA pitching after skipping that level. I'm sure he'll return Sept 1 if not sooner. But they may feel like they had a good look at him already and want to give PT to Mitchell and Madris and Marcano now, since this season seems to be all about taking a look at the young guys.
What is your opinion of Allen?
DemDog

Pirate Moves

Post by DemDog »

0F31343C2F37373C1C392E3D6A580 wrote: Marisnick was a good reserve OFer. Excellent defensively, had speed and even hit a couple HRs. But on this team, he was just blocking players who need the playing time. They've got Gamel, Reynolds, Mitchell, Madris, Allen and Marcano for OF.

Allen may not have a successful career but I sure do think with his baseball intelligence he will make a great coach and then manager. When he does retire the Bucs should grab him to work with the kids in the system.
WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7F5E567F545C3B0 wrote: Marisnick was a good reserve OFer. Excellent defensively, had speed and even hit a couple HRs. But on this team, he was just blocking players who need the playing time. They've got Gamel, Reynolds, Mitchell, Madris, Allen and Marcano for OF.

Allen may not have a successful career but I sure do think with his baseball intelligence he will make a great coach and then manager.  When he does retire the Bucs should grab him to work with the kids in the system.

Hopefully they don't have those plans for VanMeter
Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

17292C24372F2F240421362572400 wrote:

If he can hit a little, he'll be a good 4th OFer. He has no power (not even in the minors) but has speed. But he needs to at least be a .260 type hitter.