Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6E484F5A535F485E563D0 wrote: Rays sign Wander Franco to a 12 year, 223 million dollar extension.

Wow, the Rays acting like a big market club. So much for the Pirates following their model.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

1F495F4B445E4E45485F6D4A404C4441034E2D0 wrote: Rays sign Wander Franco to a 12 year, 223 million dollar extension.
Wow, the Rays acting like a big market club.  So much for the Pirates following their model.
They'll probably trade him after a few years to get out of the contract.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

153835242332256566570 wrote: Rays sign Wander Franco to a 12 year, 223 million dollar extension.
Wow, the Rays acting like a big market club.  So much for the Pirates following their model.
They'll probably trade him after a few years to get out of the contract. 

Or they'll have to relocate the franchise to a bigger city.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

04222530393522343C570 wrote: Rays sign Wander Franco to a 12 year, 223 million dollar extension.

That's compelling. How often do we see a 12-year extension after 70 games? I would think seldom. 223m is the max. 185's guaranteed.

I wonder if any is backloaded.

As with several past cases, the question becomes- will this man be wearing the Rays' uniform to the conclusion of this deal?

Regardless, we now know where the bar is set for such players.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

5F6A7D7D764F7D7D76717D180 wrote: Rays sign Wander Franco to a 12 year, 223 million dollar extension.

That's compelling.  How often do we see a 12-year extension after 70 games?  I would think seldom.  223m is the max.  185's guaranteed.

As with several past cases, the question becomes- will this man be wearing the Rays' uniform to the conclusion of this deal? 

The Marlins signed Stanton to a 13 year deal in 2014 and traded him to NY in 2018. I suspect a big market team will end up paying most of Franco's contract.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

You don't have to look as far as Miami for that.

I remember the heat that your buddy, Shed, took when he predicted on the night of the McCutchen extension that the Pirates would never pay the end of that deal. 

Other members said that he had no idea what he was talking about, and that he was so negative and the like.

I think that was for $14 mil or around it.

The whole world knew that Stanton would go, too, because it was so backloaded.  I got a kick out of Connelly saying that backloaded deals were bad for baseball.

Then, he turns around and dumps McCutchen.  Let's just say that Connelly was the guy we should've dumped.

Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

6A5F4848437A48484344482D0 wrote: You don't have to look as far as Miami for that.

I remember the heat that your buddy, Shed, took when he predicted on the night of the McCutchen extension that the Pirates would never pay the end of that deal. 

Other members said that he had no idea what he was talking about, and that he was so negative and the like.

The whole world knew that Stanton would go, too, because it was so backloaded.  I got a kick out of Connelly saying that backloaded deals were bad for baseball.

Then, he turns around and dumps McCutchen.  Let's just say that Connelly was the guy we should've dumped.

WRONG!!!!!! B effin S!!!! He predicted the Pirates would trade him before the heavy lifting which I pinned him down to predicting 2014.

Quit making a gazillion posts with your 20/20 hindsight "wisdom".
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

1E383F2A232F382E264D0 wrote: You don't have to look as far as Miami for that.

WRONG!!!!!! B effin S!!!!  He predicted the Pirates would trade him before the heavy lifting which I pinned him down to predicting 2014.

On the night that the deal was announced, Shed wrote that the Pirates would not pay to the end of the contract.

Period.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

7E4B5C5C576E5C5C57505C390 wrote: Rays sign Wander Franco to a 12 year, 223 million dollar extension.

That's compelling.  How often do we see a 12-year extension after 70 games?  I would think seldom.  223m is the max.  185's guaranteed.

Who cares if he doesn't play the whole contract? He will be 32 when this deal is done and if he's still all that he will have another huge payday. The important thing to the rays is the same as every other team years of control. They just doubled it. Thinking in terms of today vs. 12 years from now dollars it's quite the economical move. I would have voted him AL MVP
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

74525540494552444C270 wrote: You don't have to look as far as Miami for that.

WRONG!!!!!! B effin S!!!!  He predicted the Pirates would trade him before the heavy lifting which I pinned him down to predicting 2014.

UH-OH :D ;D