Trade Deadline Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

LumberCo

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by LumberCo »

if your owner is too cheap to spend in the winter to improve with even middle of the road free agents then nothing matters.  the owner is the problem,  will keep my fandom at a distance and hope god will some day give us an owner that will spend with the average MLB teams.    with our luck Nutting will sell and Huntington will be gone and the minors in a shambles a few years down the road, it is a horrible existent being a Pirate fan!!.
IABucFan

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by IABucFan »

This trade deadline epitomizes for me why I'm so fed up with the Pirates and why I think our situation is hopeless.  (BTW...still haven't decided.  If the Astros were still in the NL, they'd be the perfect team to root for, but I HATE the DH.  I did watch the Astros games the last couple of days...didn't turn the Pirates on once.  It was actually kind of freeing. ;D. Saw that Cutch hit three bombs yesterday...thought to myself, "Well, that's nice.")

Regardless, I digress...this trade deadline sums up in a nutshell why the Pirates, and I would argue most small market teams, won't ever be able to compete for a World Series, and if they do, it's because they catch lightning in a bottle.

Anybody catch this little nugget from ESPN? 

For the most part, teams ended up hoarding their prospects like a 5-year-old with a bag full of Halloween candy. Give credit to the Yankees and Dodgers for acquiring two top starting pitchers without giving up any of their top-50 overall prospects. The buyers held firm and the sellers broke at the last minute.

In other words, the rich get richer, the Dodgers and Yankees getting the two biggest names--Darvish and Gray--and giving up essentially nothing for them.  Mind you, in the Yankees case, that's getting two and a half years of a top notch pitcher, who they likely will resign, for peanuts.  Yeah, the A's grabbed three of their top ten prospects.  But, no Torres, no Frazier, no Rutherford, no Sheffield.  And I think two of them are out with season ending injuries! 

What did the Rangers get for Darvish?  A pittance.  Granted, he's an FA after the year, and FA the Dodgers will likely sign, but the Rangers didn't get Buehler, or Verdugo.  Nothing.

In other words, the richest teams, who can sign these guys in free agency, have now realized that they want to hoard prospects as well.  You used to be able to count on a couple of top 25 prospects moving at the deadline.  Now, teams aren't willing to do that.  Like anything, the selling price is only as good as someone willing to pay it.  I might have a $100 million piece of property on the beach, but if no one is willing to pay the asking price, I can put any price tag I want on it, and it's meaningless.

So, we now have a system in MLB where the wealthiest teams can:

A.  Buy the best free agents every year

B.  Outspend on crappy free agents and write that cost off as the cost of doing business when they fail (i.e. Sandoval)

C.  Hoard prospects, colluding with each other to drive trade prices down

D.  Outspend everyone else in the international market

The only thing that semi levels the playing field is the draft.  MLB can talk about parity all they want, but the fact of the matter is that there is no parity, and this trade deadline proves it.  If the Pirates, the Royals, the Rays, the Reds, the Brewers, the Twins, etcetera have a good year, it's only accidental, and a temporary rising out of the ash heap of mediocrity they are doomed to inhabit the other 99% of the time. 

That doesn't excuse the Pirates' incompetence, or even making the appearance of trying to put a competitive team on the field.  You know, like having three outfielders on the team, or a third baseman, or five starting pitchers. 

I'm as ticked off as anybody at the Pirates, but I can't fault them for not moving McCutchen.  When the A's are getting more or less nothing back for Sonny Gray, what makes anyone think that McCutchen would have brought more than a couple of B level prospects?  Especially in a market where bats were not really in great demand?

As far as I'm concerned, this trade deadline signals the end of small market baseball.  The only use MLB has for these teams is because the rules say the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, and Angels have to have an opponent each night.  If they could just play each other constantly, I'm sure MLB would be just fine with that.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

171F1C2B3D183F305E0 wrote: This trade deadline epitomizes for me why I'm so fed up with the Pirates and why I think our situation is hopeless.  (BTW...still haven't decided.  If the Astros were still in the NL, they'd be the perfect team to root for, but I HATE the DH.  I did watch the Astros games the last couple of days...didn't turn the Pirates on once.  It was actually kind of freeing. ;D. Saw that Cutch hit three bombs yesterday...thought to myself, "Well, that's nice.")

Regardless, I digress...this trade deadline sums up in a nutshell why the Pirates, and I would argue most small market teams, won't ever be able to compete for a World Series, and if they do, it's because they catch lightning in a bottle.

Anybody catch this little nugget from ESPN? 

For the most part, teams ended up hoarding their prospects like a 5-year-old with a bag full of Halloween candy. Give credit to the Yankees and Dodgers for acquiring two top starting pitchers without giving up any of their top-50 overall prospects. The buyers held firm and the sellers broke at the last minute.

In other words, the rich get richer, the Dodgers and Yankees getting the two biggest names--Darvish and Gray--and giving up essentially nothing for them.  Mind you, in the Yankees case, that's getting two and a half years of a top notch pitcher, who they likely will resign, for peanuts.  Yeah, the A's grabbed three of their top ten prospects.  But, no Torres, no Frazier, no Rutherford, no Sheffield.  And I think two of them are out with season ending injuries! 

What did the Rangers get for Darvish?  A pittance.  Granted, he's an FA after the year, and FA the Dodgers will likely sign, but the Rangers didn't get Buehler, or Verdugo.  Nothing.

In other words, the richest teams, who can sign these guys in free agency, have now realized that they want to hoard prospects as well.  You used to be able to count on a couple of top 25 prospects moving at the deadline.  Now, teams aren't willing to do that.  Like anything, the selling price is only as good as someone willing to pay it.  I might have a $100 million piece of property on the beach, but if no one is willing to pay the asking price, I can put any price tag I want on it, and it's meaningless.

So, we now have a system in MLB where the wealthiest teams can:

A.  Buy the best free agents every year

B.  Outspend on crappy free agents and write that cost off as the cost of doing business when they fail (i.e. Sandoval)

C.  Hoard prospects, colluding with each other to drive trade prices down

D.  Outspend everyone else in the international market

The only thing that semi levels the playing field is the draft.  MLB can talk about parity all they want, but the fact of the matter is that there is no parity, and this trade deadline proves it.  If the Pirates, the Royals, the Rays, the Reds, the Brewers, the Twins, etcetera have a good year, it's only accidental, and a temporary rising out of the ash heap of mediocrity they are doomed to inhabit the other 99% of the time. 

That doesn't excuse the Pirates' incompetence, or even making the appearance of trying to put a competitive team on the field.  You know, like having three outfielders on the team, or a third baseman, or five starting pitchers. 

I'm as ticked off as anybody at the Pirates, but I can't fault them for not moving McCutchen.  When the A's are getting more or less nothing back for Sonny Gray, what makes anyone think that McCutchen would have brought more than a couple of B level prospects?  Especially in a market where bats were not really in great demand?

As far as I'm concerned, this trade deadline signals the end of small market baseball.  The only use MLB has for these teams is because the rules say the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, and Angels have to have an opponent each night.  If they could just play each other constantly, I'm sure MLB would be just fine with that.

The Pirates could have, maybe, cashed in on a buyers market. Rather than selling (I agree, not enough value) why not take this opportunity to jump in for 2017 and 18? That's why I'm so disappointed.
SteadyFreddy

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SteadyFreddy »

They aren't going to do anything in the offseason either. I don't believe anything that anybody says in this organization. They lie and do not care about going all out to win. As I've stated many times I am completely fed up and just flat out disgusted with Bob Nutting.
fjk090852-7

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

O'Neil Cruz whom the Bucs got from the Dodgers has something like 529 abs in the minors and 154 k's. Lots of strikeouts! He is young,so possibly they can work by having him put the ball in play more often.
IABucFan

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by IABucFan »

11362723263B04302726263B420 wrote: They aren't going to do anything in the offseason either. I don't believe anything that anybody says in this organization. They lie and do not care about going all out to win. As I've stated many times I am completely fed up and just flat out disgusted with Bob Nutting.

See...I disagree with this...sort of.  I don't think it's that they WON'T go all out to win.  I actually think it's that they CAN'T go all out to win, even if they wanted to, which is infinitely worse.

What does it take to win in MLB?  Superstars.  How do you get them?  Well, you have to get them the same way you get anyone else.  You sign them, you trade for them, or you draft them.

Can the Pirates sign a marquee free agent?  Nope.  Ivan Nova was arguably the top pitcher available last off season, but that's because it was an historically weak FA class for pitchers.  In 2013, the Pirates signed the best catcher on the market in Russell Martin, but only accidentally, as most teams didn't want him.  The Pirates even outbid the Yankees for his services.  But again, whether they saw something or not, Martin wasn't all that sought after following 2012.  So, let's just take it as a given that the Pirates can't sign a superstar free agent.  I don't think it's a stretch to say they aren't going to be in on Bryce Harper.

Can they trade for them?  Actually, I suppose this is the flip side to the post I made earlier in this thread.  With teams less and less willing to pay top dollar (in prospects) for superstars, the Pirates might actually be able to play here.  Could they have offered say, Mitch Keller and Ke'Bryan Hayes for Gray?  Perhaps...don't know if that's comparable, but the Yankees didn't have to give up their version of Meadows.  That's for sure.  But, this also means more teams are in on these guys, and teams like the Yankees and Dodgers will always be willing and able to go just a little bit higher for the Sonny Gray's of the world, because of point one.  They don't need to fill needs from within.  Small market teams do.

Third, they can draft them.  I actually think the Pirates draft fairly well.  I suspect I'll always be an NH supporter.  But, it's incredibly depressing to see the wealthiest teams in baseball, also bring up the top rookies.  Though, to be fair, Bell has been good.

Somehow, the Pirates are magically in contention this year, but only because the Cubs haven't run away with anything yet. But, in short, I see no light at the end of the tunnel.  This is why I REALLY want to pick a new favorite team to root for.
iwatch

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by iwatch »

The reality is that small market teams have two real options- 1) mortgage the future to try to win "this year" (ala Florida Marlins) by giving them up their top prospects to get a marquee player (Sale). This doesn't faze the big market boys because they can buy the players they surrender in a few years, or, as we've seen this year, set value on the guys up for trade in essence telling the little guys "you'll lose him for nothing in a year or so." OR 2) desperately cling to all reasonable prospects hoping for a miracle while in truth, they are realistically a AAAA minor league system for the big boys. Develop talent, watch it become stars, trade it or lose it.

Today, LA, Cubs, and NYY just "called up" talent that was theirs in a year or so anyways. Lost a prospect....they'll buy him back when he matures- if he matures.

I wish the small market teams would refuse to trade at the deadline with the big boys. Trade all your talent to the one small market team, and hope they win it.

I seriously have ZERO interest in the World Series. It's virtually unreachable for PIT. And, it doesn't matter why.
SteadyFreddy

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SteadyFreddy »

1F17142335103738560 wrote: They aren't going to do anything in the offseason either. I don't believe anything that anybody says in this organization. They lie and do not care about going all out to win. As I've stated many times I am completely fed up and just flat out disgusted with Bob Nutting.

See...I disagree with this...sort of.  I don't think it's that they WON'T go all out to win.  I actually think it's that they CAN'T go all out to win, even if they wanted to, which is infinitely worse.

What does it take to win in MLB?  Superstars.  How do you get them?  Well, you have to get them the same way you get anyone else.  You sign them, you trade for them, or you draft them.

Can the Pirates sign a marquee free agent?  Nope.  Ivan Nova was arguably the top pitcher available last off season, but that's because it was an historically weak FA class for pitchers.  In 2013, the Pirates signed the best catcher on the market in Russell Martin, but only accidentally, as most teams didn't want him.  The Pirates even outbid the Yankees for his services.  But again, whether they saw something or not, Martin wasn't all that sought after following 2012.  So, let's just take it as a given that the Pirates can't sign a superstar free agent.  I don't think it's a stretch to say they aren't going to be in on Bryce Harper.

Can they trade for them?  Actually, I suppose this is the flip side to the post I made earlier in this thread.  With teams less and less willing to pay top dollar (in prospects) for superstars, the Pirates might actually be able to play here.  Could they have offered say, Mitch Keller and Ke'Bryan Hayes for Gray?  Perhaps...don't know if that's comparable, but the Yankees didn't have to give up their version of Meadows.  That's for sure.  But, this also means more teams are in on these guys, and teams like the Yankees and Dodgers will always be willing and able to go just a little bit higher for the Sonny Gray's of the world, because of point one.  They don't need to fill needs from within.  Small market teams do.

Third, they can draft them.  I actually think the Pirates draft fairly well.  I suspect I'll always be an NH supporter.  But, it's incredibly depressing to see the wealthiest teams in baseball, also bring up the top rookies.  Though, to be fair, Bell has been good.

Somehow, the Pirates are magically in contention this year, but only because the Cubs haven't run away with anything yet.  But, in short, I see no light at the end of the tunnel.  This is why I REALLY want to pick a new favorite team to root for. Bob Nutting is the 10th richest owner in baseball the last time I checked. He has the money to go out and sign a couple top of the line free agents and to get this payroll up to around 130-140 million dollars but chooses not too because while he does want to win, I don't think he is gonna do or is willing to do whatever it takes to win not because he can't it's because this is a business to him and he chooses not too.
dmetz

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dmetz »

352B3D283F345C0 wrote: The reality is that small market teams have two real options- 1) mortgage the future to try to win "this year" (ala Florida Marlins) by giving them up their top prospects to get a marquee player (Sale). This doesn't faze the big market boys because they can buy the players they surrender in a few years, or, as we've seen this year, set value on the guys up for trade in essence telling the little guys "you'll lose him for nothing in a year or so."  OR 2) desperately cling to all reasonable prospects hoping for a miracle while in truth, they are realistically a AAAA minor league system for the big boys. Develop talent, watch it become stars, trade it or lose it.

Today, LA, Cubs, and NYY just "called up" talent that was theirs in a year or so anyways. Lost a prospect....they'll buy him back when he matures- if he matures.

I wish the small market teams would refuse to trade at the deadline with the big boys. Trade all your talent to the one small market team, and hope they win it.

I seriously have ZERO interest in the World Series. It's virtually unreachable for PIT. And, it doesn't matter why.

Unreachable for Pittsburgh??? The Cleveland Indians we're within a single of winning the word Series and are AL favorites this year.

The Royals were there TWICE and won one.

What you posted is exactly what "they" want you to believe.   They want you to throw your hands up and blame everything except them.  It's been going on forever

DemDog

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by DemDog »

Blame Pirates for No Deadline Deal.

Gorman takes no prisoners in his article this morning and coins a couple new nicknames for Nutting and Neal.

How about "Bottom Line" Bob and "No Deal" Neal.  Love it.