Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by dmetz »

Just a bunch of strawman. "Spend just to spend" ::). Sad
RichD

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by RichD »

We should find a way to rescue Byron Buxton from the Twins.

They need pitching lets send them Glasnow for Buxton ....1 for 1.

They just demoted him again .Well the kid should not have been up  in the first place this year or last year . We have been dogging NH for taking too long with promoting Bell.

Well the Twins just keep moving this kid up way to fast .He has more MLB starts then AAA/AA combined and is only 22.

They need to let the kid get a season at a level ....Its pretty bad what they have done .We trade for him and let him play next to Meadows for the rest of this season and all next season until Aug. Buxton/Marte/Polanco/Meadows and Cutch...Talk about having some trade leverage down the road.

Im starting to like the Frank Duncan guy..He doesnt seem to be too flashy with the K .But he gives you a solid 5 inn. with 75 pitches which i think could get better down the road .

Glasnow has 90 pitches in 5 inn.
Ecbucs

Last Minute Trade Buzz

Post by Ecbucs »

576569697D4F6C65686D6265040 wrote: I've was out of town till Saturday, now that I'm back one thing is certain: this town is really angry over this deal.  The FAN is as angry as I can recall and pretty much mocking Neal for his explanation. 

I heard over and over the frustration with "salary flexibility".

I was at the games on Saturday and Sunday - those were the smallest Sat and Sun mid-summer crowds that I've seen probably in 4 or 5 years.  Perfect weather.  A number of fans from Cincinnati. I also heard more "boos" than I've heard in a long time  I don't know what the attendance is this year compared to last year, but I'm sure it's down somewhat - I wonder if the FO understand perception of concern for the fan means something.

Finally, now the FAN is talking about Cole - that he's not the stud everyone anticipated.   
Few seem to be buying NH's explanation that this was a fair trade to get Hutchison instead of a salary dump. The organization is proud of how good their minor league system is. So the top 10 prospects in such a system must be pretty valuable assets. Nothing about Hutchison suggests he is worth that price. On the other hand, the Pirates have a history of maintaining low payrolls. This deal further reduced the payroll by ditching an unproductive pitcher. I find it an insult to the intelligence of the fans to suggest the surrender of such highly ranked prospects for Hutchison was not directly related to Toronto's agreement to pay Liriano's remaining salary. Furthermore, Pirate fans are pretty savvy about prospects. We've been geared to think that way because of the organization's strategy of building from within and their reluctance to acquire high producing, high salaried players from other teams. So when we see a team well-known for their "thriftiness" sending away top prospects in a deal that sheds salary without obtaining a highly regarded player in return, it seems that avoiding salary is more important than developing talent from within.

Regarding Cole, I find it intertesting that he came into his own last year (19-8, 4th in CY voting) on a strong pitching staff. Liriano had a good season and Burnett/Happ combined to give them another quality starter in the rotation. Also, the bullpen had a fine 2015. This year, Cole was the only quality starter and the bullpen was bad too. I wonder if Cole messed himself up this year by putting a lot of pressure on himself to be their stud pitcher. 

Still not fully buying it.  They could have done a "salary dump" without giving prospects, and there is an overwhelming history of examples showing this.

I do not buy this either. IF NH is right

There is a very good chance Francisco Liriano gets back to the American League where hitters are unfamiliar with him, in a new environment, with new scouting reports and does very well with Toronto.”

– Huntington on Liriano.

To me, this makes this deal even worse. Sorry to keep harping on it, but unless Hutchison turns into a pretty good pitcher this may be the straw that broke the camel's back as far as me thinking that Huntington can put together a championship team.