Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

As I have been chronicling, the Pirates at the end of the season had 29 players born in 1994 or before. 28 years old (the 1994 guys) is the general peak of the peak years of an athlete. Obviously the Pirates didn't get much peak performance.

After Friday that number is down to 18, as I correctly predicted a drastic overhaul of the 40 man roster. 13 of those guys are pitchers. Stallings is set as one of the 5 position players representing the old guard.

Once the dust clears after the rule 5 draft, I predict come spring training the others will have to show they are ready to give their best season ever or be replaced by one of the prospects, and thereby moving more younger guys up the chain and on to the 40.

This is exciting times for the franchise.
DemDog

Off Season Thread

Post by DemDog »

082E293C35392E38305B0 wrote: As I have been chronicling, the Pirates at the end of the season had 29 players born in 1994 or before. 28 years old (the 1994 guys) is the general peak of the peak years of an athlete. Obviously the Pirates didn't get much peak performance.

After Friday that number is down to 18, as I correctly predicted a drastic overhaul of the 40 man roster. 13 of those guys are pitchers. Stallings is set as one of the 5 position players representing the old guard.

Once the dust clears after the rule 5 draft, I predict come spring training the others will have to show they are ready to give their best season ever or be replaced by one of the prospects, and thereby moving more younger guys up the chain and on to the 40.

This is exciting times for the franchise.

This old fart loves your optimism. I wish more of us would especially BOB will be willing to spend some big bucks in future years.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

I give the whole crew through 2024 to show me. Come 2025 if BC is a bust or BN doesn't open up some cash I will pretty much relegate myself to walking away from the team for the most part.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Three years on top of the two he's had.

Further evidence that as we age, it takes more for us Bucs fans to get.....aroused!  :(
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0C2A2D38313D2A3C345F0 wrote: I give the whole crew through 2024 to show me. Come 2025 if BC is a bust or BN doesn't open up some cash I will pretty much relegate myself to walking away from the team for the most part.

I’m thinking that we’ll begin to see progress in the second half of next season as a few of the younger guys begin to play.  It’s during 2023 where I think we’ll see a future starting line-up start to take shape.  Then 2024 we should see a competitive team, like Toronto was this year. 

BC isn’t revamping a major league team that’s been on the cusp of the playoffs, he’s been rebuilding an entire organization from scratch, beginning with the minor leagues, and one that can maintain a level of competitiveness.  It looks like he’s proceeding on schedule.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Granted, the Blue Jays won a bunch of games.  I'll hand them that.  If it takes the Pirates three more years to finish fourth, then my early impressions of Ben Cherington are justified.

To finish fourth, the Blue Jays had a payroll that raniked 12th in all of MLB.

It doesn't take a Buster Olney to tell everyone that there is no way on earth that Ben will be given a payroll anywhere near 12th.  If he was, then I wouldn't be as impressed with the results.  He's capable of doing more with a lot less.

And, he should be expected to.

The Blue Jays were competitive....in games.  All but a few teams each year are.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

With the sales job that we're given- and, if we believe in this stuff about the focus on suspects and development, I would think that the two better expectations would be, ideally, the St. Louis Cardinals then the Seattle Mariners.  Both had comparable records to the Blue Jays.  Both finished second in their division.  One did it with a lower payroll than the Blue Jays and Cardinals. 

I see no acceptable excuse for not being comparable to their 2021 seasons within three years. 

If you're looking at organizational development, then you're probably thinking Cardinals.  But, the Cardinals aren't afraid of spending money at the MLB level.

If you're looking at a team that improved in the shorter term on a lower payroll, then you're probably thinking  Mariners.

When i see last year's rosters for the Blue Jays, Cardinals, Mariners, and Pirates, I would say that Ben better get it in gear,  At the pace he's been setting, I don't see how he will be able to match the talent to theirs.  Three years comes a lot quicker than BOB's money does.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Contain your excitement! I know it's hard.

Ben finally does something! Signs Jose Quintana to a one-year, $2 million deal that will surely improve our pitching staff with his veteran presence.

No word yet on who goes.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

467364646F5664646F6864010 wrote: Granted, the Blue Jays won a bunch of games.  I'll hand them that.  If it takes the Pirates three more years to finish fourth, then my early impressions of Ben Cherington are justified.

It doesn't take a Buster Olney to tell everyone that there is no way on earth that Ben will be given a payroll anywhere near 12th.  If he was, then I wouldn't be as impressed with the results.  He's capable of doing more with a lot less.

They have a term for people who give such expert analysis after all the results are in.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5A7C7B6E676B7C6A62090 wrote: Granted, the Blue Jays won a bunch of games.  I'll hand them that.  If it takes the Pirates three more years to finish fourth, then my early impressions of Ben Cherington are justified.

They have a term for people who give such expert analysis after all the results are in.
John Baker, Pirates director of Coaching andPlayer Development said in todays PG, "it's not a huge difference between High A (Greensboro) and Class AAA ( Indy) Your thoughts