The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

777B7A2128212924233C26110 wrote: After the lockout was announced, they went a long time before getting together in my opinion.  Time is the enemy.  That is just one of a number of key mistakes.  I wonder whether that was two mistakes.  Was calling for the lockout necessary?  I dnk.
I think a lockout covered the owners just in case if  during this season the players went on strike. After the lockout began in December MLB had loads of time to begin negotiations to ratify a settlement to begin ST, and the season on time. I enjoy baseball, and the Pirates will always be my favorite team, but I am so disappointed with the Owners and Players that these negotiations have come to this. It is March 2, I am ready to hear Greg Brown and Company announcing Pirates Baseball. For me listening or watching a Pirate game in early March is a sure sign that winter is past, and spring and summer are on its way.

Valid points, fj.  But, maybe the MLBPA would've agreed in advance to not strike....or, not to strike so long as certain provisions were met.  That may have been discussed, for all we know.  Maybe it wasn't.

A good number of unanswered questions.

//////////

On an unrelated note, the hosts on MLBNR's Power Alley show had an interesting discussion, IMO.

The jist of it had to do with the Padres vs. Pirates revenue & payrolls.  Wondering if anyone else listened to it?

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Spring Training games have now been cancelled through March 17. Maybe the Department of Justice should lump the owners in with the Russian oligarchs and freeze all their assets until this thing is settled.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

:D603620343B21313A372012353F333B3E7C31520 wrote: Spring Training games have now been cancelled through March 17.  Maybe the Department of Justice should lump the owners in with the Russian oligarchs and freeze all their assets until this thing is settled.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

526C6961726A6A614164736037050 wrote: :DSpring Training games have now been cancelled through March 17.  Maybe the Department of Justice should lump the owners in with the Russian oligarchs and freeze all their assets until this thing is settled.

Bob would be the first to capitulate
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Spring Training will become Summer Training.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The Pirates, as of right now, are one of many teams who will not offer a refund for cancelled games, instead they are rolling them into credits, or can be used for the purchase of tickets in 2023.

Kind of holding our money hostage.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

64424550595542545C370 wrote: The Pirates, as of right now, are one of many teams who will not offer a refund for cancelled games, instead they are rolling them into credits, or can be used for the purchase of tickets in 2023.

Kind of holding our money hostage.

did the same thing happen in 2020?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The Pirates, as of right now, are one of many teams who will not offer a refund for cancelled games, instead they are rolling them into credits, or can be used for the purchase of tickets in 2023.

How do you feel about it, Surg?

Some folks know that they'll be moving out of the area next year.  Others may have valid reasons where they may be forced to make budget changes. 

Makes me wonder what teams would do to their most important fans if they DIDN'T care about them so much.
mouse

Post by mouse »

We can see how MLB treats its fans, we've seen again and again how they treat their minor league players, is it any wonder the major league players need a union?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

55574D4B5D380 wrote: We can see how MLB treats its fans, we've seen again and again how they treat their minor league players, is it any wonder the major league players need a union?

Yeah. The only reason that the miner liggers haven't gotten around to forming a union of their own is because they can't afford the dues.