Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1E20252D3E26262D0D283F2C7B490 wrote: Guardians are now official name of the Cleveland franchise
Now what do we do with Braves, Chiefs, Warriors and Seminoles and a host of others?

Interesting question. The word “Indian” is objectionable to native Americans so I can understand their wish to see it eliminated. But the names you listed are either positive in nature or, in the case of Seminoles, is simply the name of a particular group of native Americans, so they may not find them offensive. Caricatures depicting those names in a cartoon-like way may be found in bad taste, though. This isn’t as easy a situation to solve as it appears.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

What the Cleveland team did IS an Off-Season Thread topic.

Speculation and opinion on what other baseball teams MIGHT consider doing....or opinons on what they ought to do- that's Off-Topic.  Most of what's listed have nothing to do with MLB teams at all.

Cleveland's team didn't make change only because ot the team's name.  The change began with the cartoon character's logo, Cbief Wahoo, was seen as insulting to native Americans.  That has been overlooked in many discussions on the matter.

What people decide in their own communities is up to them, as far as I'm concerned.  It has nothing to do with the Pirates.
johnfluharty

Off Season Thread

Post by johnfluharty »

In 1977, Florida State University alum Bill Durham introduced the idea of creating not just a mascot, but a tribute to the tribe the school chosen as their nickname. And so Bobby Bowden’s wife, Ann, helped implement the idea.

Durham went to the Seminole Tribe of Florida tribal council and not only received their blessing on the idea, but their help in creating the regalia that Chief Osceola would wear while riding Renegade. Without the support of the tribe itself, this tradition, along with the university’s use of the Seminole name, would have ended long ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fanbuzz.co ... ascot/amp/
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Has a lot to do with the MLB off-season.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

406661747D71667078130 wrote: Guardians are now official name of the Cleveland franchise
I am quite surprised that the Pirates did not protect Mason Martin.

Anyone else have any thoughts or reasons?
johnfluharty

Off Season Thread

Post by johnfluharty »

645A5F57445C5C577752455601330 wrote: Guardians are now official name of the Cleveland franchise

Low BA, tons of strike outs.  Even if he's taken he probably won't stick the whole year.  That's probably the thought anyway.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

333631373F352C31382B2D20590 wrote: Guardians are now official name of the Cleveland franchise

Low BA, tons of strike outs.  Even if he's taken he probably won't stick the whole year.  That's probably the thought anyway.
I guess maybe we fans are more optimistic about Martin than the Pirates are. Doesn't say much for him if they don't mind losing him.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I was a little surprised, in light of fhe likely pending DH.

Given Cherington's seemingly allergic reaction to any power whatsoever, plus, I think WV is right- his stated profile is probably the thought.  They probably think his issues outweigh his strengths.

Could be Ben's suspect edition of Big Country Eldred and Pedro Alvarez.  I see it as a good thing- if he's right, of course.  If you have this kind of evaluation on a kid, then I say it's better to cut bait sooner than find out after you give him major leaugue time.

When you have enough people looking at a guy, I have to respect their opinions.  If they're wrong time and time again, that's another story.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

546A6F67746C6C674762756631030 wrote: Guardians are now official name of the Cleveland franchise

High strike out rate. Bucs taking chance he isn't selected.
Ecbucs

Off Season Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

the one that surprises me the most is Thomas. Supposedly has a great arm.

Pitchers who have great arms coming off injuries get selected: see Jose Soriano.

I can see the Bucs thinking that if even if he gets selected there is a greater than 50-50 chance that he comes back.

But with still having roster filler on the 40 man why risk it? Perhaps he is fighting injuries or lost some of his stuff over the past year. Perhaps the Bucs think he is on the slow road to the majors and don't want to use an option year.

It does seem like pitchers are easier to carry. It makes more sense to leave Mason Martin off to me as he certainly looks like he needs at least a season and a half to master AAA (he hasn't really mastered AA).